• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Those who have walleyes on their wall--how big are they?

Flood_The_Pond

It think if we want a chance at an 'Eye over 12# we have to look to the Snake River in Oregon or maybe Fort Peck, MT.

Not that they aren't in other places, but these two areas seem to be on the top of the list.

The Red River sounds like a great spot too and less time on the road grin.gif

------------------
Chells

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• can it be luck?

• curt quesnell

• WallEYES

• Northlander

The one on my wall was 29" and 10 pounds out of the water. It was a fat Devil's Lake ice walleye that swallowed the hook, bad. I just couldn't release it.

The 30.5" and 31" I caught are (hopefully) swimming today. Photos remind me of those fish.

C&r is certainly admirable however one should not be overly concerned about catching and killing the big eyes. Here in Ohio there is much controversy regarding the killing of the big eyes especially during the spring river runs. The peer pressure from other fishers can be down right personnal when a big eye is killed,( and I really believe that deep down it's more an envy thing). An extensive study by the state DNR has determined that the fertility rate of the big eyes is very, very, low. The fish that contribute, far and away, the most to the spawn are the 2-3 pounders, the size fish that everybody kills. This would coincide with the other "critters" out there from deer to humans. Fact is once the gals get old the repro thing just is'nt apt to take hold.

I caught a 29 and 2 30's back in 1989 in the red river north of fargo. I mounted the 29 and one of the 30's. It really felt good to let that 30 incher go. But I'm glad I have the other 2 on the wall. I have quite a few diferent fish and deer mounted and I sure do enjoy the memories they give me. Now I'm after that 20 inch smally to add to my collection. Maybe some day. I've released over 100 this year between 15 and 19. Gotta happen sooner or later. Keep your lines wet!,<>< <><

CHELLS
Lake Tobin in SASK. in the fall, it is common to catch fish over 12# up to 17#. A friend of mine lives up that way and his biggest last year was 16.4#. Lake Erie is another big eye factory.

Lake Erie has lots of big fish, but not a lot of HUGE fish. To go out and catch a bunch of 30" walleye isn't that hard, although I do see many, many people get skunked(technique). But huge fish? I dont think they're there. The state record I believe is 16 lbs. caught by a shore/pier fisherman out of Cleavland. Dont quote me on the record thing, but I think it's correct. With so many large fish present, I would think 16 lbs. is small. PS: I must have missed something good here, a lot of posts are gone!! ?

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 08-12-2003).]

Ohio state record ,16.19 lbs. Not huge - if you say so. It was caught two miles offshore from East Cleveland in 42 feet of water on Nov. 23, 1999. It was caught on a perch spreader with an emerald shiner for bait.

I don't have an eye on the wall yet but it would have to be a solid 10+ and pretty. I caught an ugly 29 1/2" and didn't even think about putting that one on the wall. I would like to put one on the wall when the time comes. I do have a pirana on the wall from my aquarium when I was a kid.

What I mean is , with the LARGE amount of fish in the 10-12# range....Wouldn't you think that there would be more pushing 16 and 17 #s ? It's a numbers thing. 16# is huge.

Luck, thats a good point and I don't think there is a specific cause for the seemingly small number of thyroid mutants. The large numbers of 10 and 12 plus pounders is a relatively recent thing, within approximately the last 6-8 years. This coincides with the drastic increase in water clarity due to the zebra mussels. I assume that better visibility equals more efficient feeding. This seems do contradict the few numbers of giants. It could be a genetic factor. Also, many fish migrate from the western basis to the eastern basin and back each season. A distance of 100-150 miles each way. This would burn a lot of calories! Or it could be the remorseless slaughter by the Canadian gill netters. Current Lake Erie eye numbers are about 1/3 what they were in the late eighties and early nineties. The population then was abnormally high due to several excellant spawns in close succession. The current record was most probably from one of those year classes. With a nearly 50% per year class per year mortality rate,( combined causes, sport, commercial, and natural), its a rare bird that lives long enough to get that big. It could be that all the environmental factors that contribute to fish of that size simply are not in play at the same time or for a long enough period of time to produce very many giants even on a lake like Erie. I'll add one more factor that may be a bit of a stretch. It could be that they are there but their habits are so differant from the smaller fish that they recieve little fishing pressure. It could be that they spend most of the time on the bottom in 50-80 feet of water and rarely suspend. Nearly all Lake Erie fishers troll cranks for suspended fish most of the time. The main exception to this is during pre spawn and during the spawn when bottom presentations are the most common. This is a fairly short period of the season. Most of the large fish,10-12 plus, are caught early and late in the season close to shore after dark. It could be the giants don't venture that close to shore. The fisher who caught the current record was around two miles out on a known perch producing area and he was fishing on the bottom. At the same time of year large numbers of 8-12's are caught by night anglers who fish within 300-1200 feet from the same shoreline,(Cleveland, its called the "Gold Coast"), trolling shallow to medium divers in 20-40 feet of water.

WallEYES,

Lake Tobin, Eh? WOW!

I'll pull the boat if you'll navigate. What a trip--Trophy Walleyes and huge Whitetails with a Bow grin.gif

------------------
Chells

Eddy, I do believe you are the man when it comes to Big MN white tip gators. I think your 15+ probably makes it a safe bet that you have the biggest MN gator out of all current users. Can anybody beat a 15 something or is Ed the man to beat?

I have seen 2 bigger on the lower Red, a 16 something and another that was reported to be over 17. The 16 I seen first hand, the other in a photo just after the catch, but I trust the source well. There are far bigger eye's swimming in the lower Red or the Winnipeg River, I am certain of that!

Both the MN DNR and the NDG&F suspect walleye over 18 roam the Red River and is a good bet for a new record at any time. They have netted some near that already. Odds are real good they have missed bigger eyes in the nets while doing creel counts. wink.gif

The top Sumo 3 or 4 walleye locations for me are the Colombia River, Lake Tobin, and the Red River of the North. The Colombia River is on top with numbers of trout gobbling sumo walleye. Lots of huge walleye in that system, lots & lots over #12!

Greer's Ferry Arkansas (In particular the little Red River arm in the spring) is still a good bet for huge Sumoasoras type walleye. Unfortunately for Greers it is suspected the old stocks are now depleted and the big Sumo Mama's are a thing of the past. But, a 23 or better could pop out of any one of these four locations at any time.

I know that I am slightly prejudiced but I think a few true monster walleye will show up on the Red, some time soon.

Come fall, we will see more like this.
backwater-eddy2.jpg
------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"
701-281-2300
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 08-16-2003).]

Ed, You keep showing pictures like that, I'll be moveing to your neighborhood soon! Nice fish. grin.gif

A DNR guy at the Rainy river showed me a picture of what he said was a 22#er that was stuck in the intake at the Kenora dam on LOW. I don't know if it was really 22# but it was huge. He also said that they saw somebody catch a big one on the river asked if they could weigh before he released and it was 23#, but that "story" had no picture. Who knows I think it is possible up there.

30 inches is the number. I'd take a good photo and get a replica. Replicas last a longer, look great and you can still catch that fish when she's 32.

12 1/2 lbs and 12 1/4 lbs One came from a metro area lake you don't always have to go north.

30"- 10lb 7oz
30 1/2"- 10lb 13oz
31"- 11lb 4oz
31 1/2" 11lb 13oz

All were caught through the ice in very deep water on a small lake. I don't fish that spot much anymore as they don't release well there. One of the hardest things to do to pass up a spot where a double digit is almost a guarantee every winter. My next mount will have to be over 13lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well......I don't actually have the fish on the wall,not even a picture, but I have a witness and the ruler used to measure it hanging in "MY AREA" of the bsmt. I laid it on the floor of the boat and used a knife to scratch where the nose & tail were into the aluminum. When we got home, I took a yard stick and sized it. No schmidt....34 1/4". The fish went free. (whole story?) I guess I'd consider 30in ok to mount. Missed my chance eh?

I have a 32" x 15" girth on my wall. I caught that fish when I was about 15. I was 9lbs 4oz on the scale but the bait shop owner said if I had caught it earlier in the year it may have been more like 12...

My walls are still bare....might put one up over 30"...I've caught 7 over 27" this summer and the best bite is still approaching so maybe I'll crack the 30" barrier then...29 1/2" is the biggest so far, but she should easily go over 30 this year if she is still swimming in Mille Lacs!

I had a beatiful and healthy 29.5" Walleye that I could of mounted but instead it got to swim another day. I caught it when I was 12 on a trip to Lake Deifenbacker, Sask. I have been back since and have gotten close to 29" but I cant break the seal.
For me and my dad we have a 30,40 rule. We can choose to mount a Walleye over 30" and a Pike Over 40". It was hard letting that fish go, but I still got the comfort that it swam another day and somebody else can catch it.

------------------
Fish ON!

I have a 28 incher caught in 1988 on the wall and have released two more of 30 & 31. The next 30+ will go on the wall. I have my own personal slot size of 17" to 30" and release everything in that range.

Animal

I have a 12.3 just a hair over 32 inches
on the wall in my den. It can sure pick me up on those days I can't be on the water.!

------------------

A 31 1/2" walleye is fast asleep in my freezer next to a drake woody I shot last season. I told myself 32" is where the bar is set, but I kept it for mounting anyways....I can't help myself! grin.gif I snapped a picture of it with my friends son holding it. The picture is in my signature, titled....Another happy fisherman, Caught on "blue"!....I want to mount them all!!! HELP! shocked.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 09-12-2003).]

Keep putting them fish on the wall and you won't have any trophy's to catch.

A "good" taxidermist ( I would consider maybe 10 in the state to be listed in that good catagory) will do excellent work and will charge you $7 or $8 an inch.

A replica, if you take many pictures and get true measurements will cost you $10 or $12 an inch. With this, you'll have a perfect fish!!!

You have to practice catch and release....
Putting one on the wall if fine, but take your pick carefully.

Just remember at how our musky fishing was in such tough shape because everyone kept anything over 30" to mount. Today, the musky fishing has never been better. Why, because of Catch and Release. Just think if every musky fisherman kept one "trophy" musky each year. Well, that is what happened 20 years ago and we didn't have the big fish like we do today.

There is only one legitimate reason in my book to mount a fish. That reason is if the fish expires on you in your attempt to release. I had to do that with a 29lb pike. However, I had no problem releasing my 24lber. Do you know what the biggest rush was? It was when I placed the fish back in the water. I was hearing the echo of voices accross 10 boats who watched me land it say: "He threw it back!!!, I can't beleive he let her go!!!". I responded to them with a big thanks for the compliment.

I apologize if I come accross a bit unruley, but there just isn't enough big fish to go around to have everyone place them on the wall.

I remember years back, watching my two neighbors brag about their "golden stringer". They had 12 walleyes over 10# from the Mississippi river. All in one day of fishing. This was over 15 years ago. They kept every fish just to brag. Well, explain to me why we can't catch those big walleyes today on the Mississippi???

I used to think that a 20lb Pike was a monster. But after working the LOTW and Mille Lacs, they are there and they are common. I watched a 47" pike caught and released on Mille Lacs two falls ago. I was in the boat.

Take your pictures and get your replicas. That way you can catch him again!!! OR BETTER YET, CATCH THE ONE THAT YOUR BUDDY CAUGHT LAST YEAR.......HE'LL BE BIGGER THIS YEAR and you get better braggin rights!!!!!!!

If you want your 30 inch trophy walleye, you not going to get it, if everyone is putting them on the wall.......

Peace,
G-