• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Those who have walleyes on their wall--how big are they?

Flood_The_Pond

What do you consider the "benchmark" for keeping and mounting a walleye? 30" and 10lbs?

Note: I do realize it is best to CPR the fish, but I'm just curious as to those who already have fish on their wall what the size range is for considering mounting a walleye.

Thanks.
FTP
smile.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• can it be luck?

• curt quesnell

• WallEYES

• Northlander

I always said that if it goes 10 lbs it goes on the wall! Mine was only 27.5" but went 10! I caught it in the fall, the day before it froze over! Since then I have caught many longer but not over the 10 lb mark! I will get a graghite replica made when I catch another that size!

Rainman

29incher October Lake Vermilion hog photographed and framed.

Not to say I wouldn't mount a 30+ incher!

Jim W

Both caught on Mille Lacs 3 days before the Halloween snow storm... a 33" that weighed 13.2# and a 31-1/2" that weighed 12.4#. Both are full mounts in a 6 foot coffee table chasing perch. Don't ask me how much it cost, it was plenty. Both were caught long-lining #11 rainbow floating Rapalas during a new moon and northern lights lighting up the sky. It does not get any better than that for me....once in a lifetime.

1)-29 1/2" 2)-30" 1)-31" 2)-32" 1)-33 1/2" All real, no replicas. 32" is the new cutoff line. Caught at least 75 that were 28" + in the last 3 years.

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 08-07-2003).]

the walleye on my wall is 28" 7.2lb. my first large eye, it was the lake, time, person i was with, and the First Ever walleye on a crank bait! (after hours of hereing him say "I think we ought to pull cranks) thats what made it a "trophy" to me. the next has to go 10+# and would definetly consider a replica.

8 point buck, full rut,(huge neck, and stunk the bed of my truck up for a week, HEH!) about 120 yards, 7mm08
That was my first so I HAD to mount it, nice basket too, Oh wait, I think we were talking about fish.
I need to catch a big wally too, to put on my wall or on the shlf.
I caught one pushing 25" last week, wish it could have been just a few more inches.

10# 2 oz. 30+", the next one will have to be over 17#.

------------------
Keep a tight line,
Kingfisher

Well I try to promote most catch and release or encourage replicas but the replicas are about twice as much as a mount.

I do have a 10#-11#-13# walleyes on our wall mostly for advertisement value for sports shows. They range from 30" to 33". However an 11# and 13# walleye is a trophy in any case. Some people will mount much smaller fish only due to the amount of fishing they do. To them a 8# fish might be a real trophy and to each his own.

Keep that hook sharp.

------------------
Wiskers Guiding Service
Red River & Minnesota RIver Channel Cats, Flatheads & Walleyes
Crookston, MN
[email protected]
218-280-0442

Two over 30" and one very nice framed picture. Both are "hopefully" still swimming. I don't find it bad for anyone to have a mount of thier trophy.

I have one 29.5" 'eye that went 10# on my wall. It was caught through the ice on Buffalo Lake in December of 2000 on 4# test with a 1/32 oz jig and and a crappie minnow. It was such a perfect specimen I had to have it mounted. I don't ever usually keep any fish over 20" anymore, all get released. I was fishing with my friend WallEYES that day and it was cold and the action was mighty slow. I had really downsized my presentation due to the tough bite. I had just caught and released an 8" 'eye a few minutes before the big gal came through right at dusk. I thought I was snagged! I started yelling when I realized I had on a real hog. He was in his own shelter about 100 feet away on the same break. I was fishing in a small Fishtrap back then and was gaining a reputation for burning off my line from the heater. So he came running over and started clearing away my heater and minnow bucket and helped me ice that fish. Everytime I look at it, it reminds me of one helluva day! Would I have another one stuffed? I guess I'll answer that if I can ever top that experience. The 'glass replicas are mighty pretty too..........T

I have a 28.5" 10lb. Traverse Lake Beauty I caught through 4" of first ice 4 years ago. It was so fat I knew it was close to 10lbs.

We caught and released over 11 Walleyes that morning between 4 and 10 pounds--a memorable trip and not one I'd repeat (on 4" of Ice) now that I'm a Father!

I've had numerous spring-run Eye's on the Sandusky River in Ohio at 10lbs and the best was 13.9 the DNR asked me if they could strip eggs from her--they weighed her before stripping.

For some reason I don't consider big Lake Erie Walleyes as special as the ones we get here in Minnesota--I guess it's the longer growing season in Ohio and the fac that the fillets on Erie fish don't taste nearly as good to me as a MN. Walleye.

------------------
Chells

In a tourney, caught a fat 32 incher, but only weighed in at 9-14??? Doesn't matter, every time I see it on the wall, I smile !! The next year, I caught another 32 inch, didn't even hesitate, put her back in. Haven't come close since.

The first one was a 29" when I was young and felt that a walleye over 28" was a trophy. Many years have passed and I have caught and released many walleyes in the 28"-30" range, all beautiful fish and they are all represented by a photo in the old album. I like the idea that they are hopefully all swimming and out there for someone else to catch and have a very memorable day.

The second one was just under 32" caught two years ago on a beautiful full moon night. The fish was a huge, after some soul searching I decided to keep her. That night was on of those special nights, we boated 66 walleyes, ten over 28" and lots of 25" plus. As I look at her now I can vividly recall that night and all those special memories.

I dought I will ever keep another walleye, but if that that state record comes calling I might just have to change my mind.

Good Fishing!

27 3/4"--7 3/4 lbs still my biggest. It was caught off shore fishing for crappies!

Three cheers for all of those who reported putting back big fish!!! Hip-hip horaay! Hip-hip horaay! Hip-hip horaay!

I'm not looking to start a fight here- I don't have a problem with people keeping and mounting one or two really big fish in a lifetime (although I never would). BUT, WAY TO GO FOR RELEASING THE BIGGUNS MENTIONED! Now they're still out there for me, my wife, and my future kids to catch.
Scoot

29.5 inches, 10lbs. caught in Hawk Creek which flows into the minnesota river. The walleye was caught on a lindy rig which was only a 1 foot snell in about a foot and a half of water. What makes it extra special is this particular place is only about 3 blocks from my house. It was my childhood fishing hole. I had fished there for about 18 yrs. before I finally got lucky. I guess now I'd only put one on the wall if it was 11lbs or bigger.

Where do you guys catch all these big walleyes? The biggest I ever caught was 25". I put it back in the water. Two days later my grandson caught a 27". It was on his 10th birthday and his first fishing trip. I had that one mounted for him.

------------------
Be fishers of People
You catch, He Cleans

28.5 10 pounds 8 oz. first time in canada first day of the 7 day trip second troll around the island. caught a 30 incher later in the week but didnt compare to the first. Smile ear to ear every time i look at it. next one has to go over 13# before ill mount another.

Chells, You are right in regards to L Erie walleyes. When you boat as many 30 inchers in a day it starts to lose its thrill. Similar to Chequmegon Bay smallmouth. As far as a first or second trip to Erie, much different! Most people never catch them that big, so they're in "hog-heaven" so to speak. My 29 1/2" walleye from Garden Lake Mn. is all the trophy that my 33 1/2" is from L Erie. Each lake has a different trophy standard. In regards to table fare, L Erie is the only lake that I've experienced a 30" walleye tasting as good as a 18 incher. I would like to keep more 18 inchers there but all I ever get is 23" and up. Oh well, I can't complain about that!

Minnesota state record walleye is 17.5 lbs. The fish was caught in the Seagull River, Cook county.

Here in PA. we don't have the walleye fishery like you guys up north.I consider myself lucky several years ago I caught a 29" eye while ice fishing in 55ft. of water. Yes its on the wall.

To each his own but for me a eye will have to be over 32" to get a replica made. I have caught lots of eyes in the 27-32" range. Last year I got a 31.5 out of the St.Louis river and looking back I should have had a replica made. I do have pictures and measurments so I may at a later date.
A lot depends on lakes you fish, if they arent big fish lakes or rivers a 27-29" may be your trophy. Also the story behind it like a young kids 1st big fish may be a trophy. Either way I like to see them released and pictures taken, if later you want it on the wall get a replica. My 2 cents.

WalleyeKing#8, that's the kind of trophy I'm looking for. For nostalgia reasons, I have a couple small creeks, rivers & lakes in mind that I would mount a fish out of. I probably wouldn't mount a trophy out of Erie or any other giant walleye producing lake. But I might if I get it on a creek I grew up fishing. It would mean a lot more. Even then I might release it, but I always try to carry a camera. Take lots of pictures! Replicas look nice, but I don't think I'll ever do one. I'm glad they have that option now though. I'd say 10 lbs or 30"s is a trophy on most waters. Vern

I'm ashamed with all of you guys! Mounting fish this big! Thats terrible!!!!

Are you aware of how delicious they are?!?!?! grin.gif

I have one 10.5 pounder on the wall. I caught another about the same size and didn't have it mounted.

I have caught and released loads of 7-8 pounders but those 10's come few and far between.

I caught a 31.5 inch 10 pound 4 ouncer and
a 29 inch 9 pounder on the same day back in
1983 and mounted em both. Since then I
have released a 32 incher after taking a
picture and several 26 to 28 inchers have
gone back after photos.

I doubt I will mount another Walleye but I
will learn how to take better pictures.

If I could tie into a 15 pounder I might
change my mind. I hope not, a picture is
much cheaper and doesnt collect as much dust.

------------------
Curt Quesnell
NorthCountry Outdoors Radio