• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Driving to Alaska

Just got back from AK., and I'm aleady looking forward to an extended trip next year, hopefully driving/pulling my own boat. Anyone out there who's made the drive? I'm especially interested in driving time, just to see how feasable the idea is. I know it's a long pull, but I've heard lots of numbers thrown around and I'd like some firsthand (and hopefully recent) info. Thanks

5 days comfortably, 3 1/2 days with 2 or 3 drivers near non stop to Anchorage.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Ive driven there 3 times. I do it in 5 days with one driver. Dosent give you much time to site see.

I agree with the 5 day drive,I drove there last year ,its a little over 3200 miles to anchorage from southwest minn.If you put in long hours you can do it faster but then your tired as a dog when you get there!the roads were not as bad as i was told to expect.

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

Thanks guys. The trip site I checked on the web has it at 3150 miles and 62 hours drive time, which sounded pretty optimistic. There are a number of route options, which way(s) did you all go? Anyone pull a boat?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The roads are better now. Lottsa gravel not to long ago. I always spent my first night in Winnipeg. Then drive across Canada. Nothing to see till you get to BC and the Yukon.
Next time I drive up I'll go over to Montana then up to Banff.
I averaged 500 miles a day and wouldn't call 5 days of that easy. smile.gif I'd drive up in April and come back in Sept. Not many people on the highway, in fact hardly a soul, but lottsa frost heaves and snow at that time. I miss Alaska, as soon as my kids are old enough to trudge around the back country and rivers I'm takin them.

I've made the trip 3 times and enjoyed the heck out of it. First time up in 1977 while in the military. That was a 5 day trip up thru Montana. Again in 1980 but took the ferry part way with a buddy from Haines to Prince Rupert then driving down thru Seattle. The inside passage is beautiful. Last time alone in 1984 the road was much improved and did a marathon drive. Leaving Fairbanks at noon Saturday and in Boulder Junction area of WI by 11pm Tue night. Youth and coffee!
"Been driving all night my hands wet on the wheel"

Traveler - I drove back 3 years ago with a friend. We started out 8 am Monday from Anchorage and arrived in Rochester, MN about 6 pm Friday. We took the eastern route through Dawson City, Saskatoon, Winnipeg after being advised at a truck stop in Watson Lake not to take the western route due to 200+ miles of bad road at that time. We found good roads except for about 35 miles of gravel, which we still drove 40 mph. We drove 3,350 miles in approx. 60 hours. If I were to drive it again (and I would love to) I would want 2-3 days extra for sightseeing and also take the route through western BC.

Thanks for the replies guys. UffaPete, we are thinking on going the western route, but will check on major road work along the route before taking off. Unfortunatly, taking days off costs me money, so the more liesurly sightseeing drive will have to wait a few years until retirement. I'm looking at having 3 drivers and keeping it rolling pretty much non-stop. I'll be pulling my boat and taking a crack at those Kenai kings on my own this time around. Anyone here done that?

I drove the Al-Can about 9 one ways dating back 1981 with the last time being in 1992. The road condition vastly improved over that 11 year period. Make sure of the distance to the next gas station. My personal best is about 3 1/2 days to Fairbanks but that was driving non-stop except for 6-7 hours sleep. There are many great things to see once you hit the mountains. Try to time it so you can hit Liard Hot Springs in BC for an overnight. One very useful tool is to pick up "The Milepost". It has where all the gas and food stops are and tells a little bit about the fishing along the way. I highly recommend driving the Al-Can. It's a road trip like no other.

I also drove the Al-Can from Alaska back to MN in November of '92. If you are traveling in Sept or later, I'd definitely follow fivebucks advice to fill up with gas whenever possible. Most of the gas stations were closed, as it wasn't the tourist season anymore. Due to the time of year that I went, there was the added danger of hitting herds of caribou on the highway! They loved the salt on the road!!

The Milepost was a must. Also stopped at the Hot Springs also, but it was closed... technically smile.gif

Duck-o-holic