• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mayflies pulling their pants off?

So I was shore fishing for cats on the Sippi last night. The mayflies were out and about. One landed on me. Then proceeded to half way peel off the outer shell exposing new wings, and took off. So I assumed that it took off it's pants and chased after the women. smile.gif

Anyone witness this weird event? I suppose its not weird, just something I don't see everday.

I'm no expert on the subject but, my experience with Mayflies is, they hatch in the mud on the bottom of the lake, then they float to the surface of the water where they allow their wings to dry and then they fly away. The scum on the surface of the lake is the shell/skin that they have hatched from, I've never heard of them flying around and then hatching out of the shell/skin. But like I said I'm no expert. Are you sure they were Mayflies?

Ole

They have been hatching everynight since saturday here at sauk rapids on the mighty mississippi. Fishing was awesome last night but terrible tonight. hopefully it will be better tomorrow p.m. They come out of the water and shed thier skin in flight so it looks like two together but it's just one. then the skin falls to the water.kinda cool.

ole, it was a little white mayfly. It landed on me and laid it's abdomen down and took it's little legs and started pulling. The outer shell was coming off. As soon as it's wings were clear it took off and joined the dance right above the water with all the rest of them.

I also noticed that the fishing SUCKED. I went for cats with cut sucker and only got nibbles. I think all the fish are eating these. The carp were on the surface eating the dead mayflies or eating something.

can it be luck,
I wonder if only male mayflies pull their pants down. Sounds like a male. That's funny you slapped him, Twice smile.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Mayfly is a generic name lumping many species together. Some float to the surface at dusk with wings ready to fly. Others crawl out of the water in daylight and as let they're wings unfold and dry.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 07-29-2003).]