• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Custom Rod

huntnfish

If anyone is looking at getting a custom rod built, you should seriously consider Rods by Engel. They are built by Rod Engel, who is Scoots dad. I had a rod built for my dad and words cannot decribe it. My dad has fished with the rod for a few weeks and he absolutely loves it. He has a G. Loomis rod as well and he said there is no comparison between the two. The rod that I had made was made with a St Croix Legend Series blank and Zirconia guides. The guides change color in the sun and are the best that you can get. This rod looks amazing and is very sensitive. If anyone is looking to get one made let Scoot know and he will give you his dad's number. You won't be disappointed.

Whats the pricing compared to a St Croix off the shelf?

Mike Smith , owner of Hookedonfishing, found in the Rochester forum, employs Mike Fischer, another custom rod builder with lots of experience. Mr.Fischer has had his work sold all across the country and many of his creations have gone to market at the big sports show in Chicago. Custom rods built on quality blanks are a treasure. For the few dollars more for a custom rod, you will more than likely find at least one more guide than the commercial counterpart which will give you a far superior action and the artwork that can be applied is simply striking. Regardless of who the builder is, a custom rod is, as mentioned, a treasure. I know...I have nothing but custom rods. I build them myself.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

The rod that I had made had better guides than the off the shelf St. Croix and was cheaper, too.

I can say from experience that Rods by engle are by far the best value you will find. I have had both jigging and ice fishing rods custom made and have been very satisfied with both price and more importantly performance. Another vote for Rod!!

Thanks for the kind words for my pops- he'll really appreciate it. As was said earlier, he'll make a better rod for what is almost always a better price than what you'll find in the stores. I admit, he can't always beat store prices, but usually. This is not to mention your name, customized guides, an emblem of whatever fish you'd like, whatever little bells and whistles you'd like.

Thanks again for the comments for my dad. I've always thought he's done a great job (of course I'm a little biased), it's nice to hear it from a few other people.
Scoot

Scoot,
Give me a contact email or number for your pops.
Thanks

My dad can be reached a couple different ways-
[email protected]
218-891-4415 (home)
218-634-2020 (lake)

The lake number is by far your best bet for reaching him.
Scoot

His rods are all I use now. I've tried several custom rods and liked most of them, but his are my favorite and are a great bang for the buck.

I have a couple of Rod's rods (aka rods-squared) myself. Top notch work and substantial savings over retail rods.

I own a couple of Rod's rods (aka rods-squared) myself. They are great rods and are nothing but top notch in terms of workmanship. They are a great deal when compared to retail prices. You can also customize rods in any way that suits your fancy. As far as I'm concerned, it's a no brainer!

Rest assured that you will get a great product and a great price. I've purchased about 12 rods from him over the years, anywhere from a 6' spinning rod to an 8' foot cat rod. They are all excellent sticks and he will get you what you want. His knowledge of the rod building world is top-notch. I will not buy any other rods factory or custom built except for RodsbyEngel rods.

I just received my custom "Cork'n Sucks" cat stick from Rod.

I asked for some non-traditional designs and got just what I wanted.

The craftsmanship is truly exquisite, very sweet! Well done Rod!

Yup, I like his work very much and feel totally confident referring others to him.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

I guess I better get on the ball ASAP.
No better advertisement than satisfied customers.

I picked up two custom St Croix rods made by Mike Fishcher of Hooked On Fishing in Riochester. I had them set-up with Okuma reels.
I have not use them yet (I can't wait). I gotta say, they are real nice rigs. Nice price too. I like the "feel" of the blanks and the reels are very smooth. Good looking rods in colors that match the reels!
I'll post you on the outcome of my first use.

Buying a rod off the shelf is like buying cowboy boots... they can look good in the box, but you gotta use 'em all day to know they fit right. Talking with Mike & Mike at HOF paid ff for me... I think they made just what I have wanted in a rod.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on[/b
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

Nothing against the custom builders, most are very fine craftmen, producing a good product. But, rod building is not that difficult, I learned the skills many years ago, and have built most of my own rods, After building the first few inexpensive kits, I was proficient enough to produce fine wrappings and select the best components. It has been a very rewarding hobby, don't get me wrong, expensive components will mean nothing if the rod is hastily slapped together. It does take some time and attention to detail to produce a fine rod. But once the skill is mastered, it is very satisfying, and there is no better feeling than to present a fine handmade rod to a someone as a gift, and watch them fish with it year after year. There are good books and videos on the topic and the kit like cabela's sells come with basic instructions, everything you need to know to produce a basic rod. Getting the proper "spine" alignment is the most important to have the right action and sensitivity characteristics. It is a great hobby to fill the time waiting for ice up and ice out, or any other time of year, start with some cheapies for the kids and after a few of those, you will have the skills to produce your own fine rods.

coldone,

I probably agree with your general statement-it's probably not that tough to get started and make something passable. However, I respectfully disagree with much of what you said. Making a good custom rod takes two things- a little equipment and a lot of know-how. Make rods for 15 years like my dad has and you gain a lot of know-how. Sure a newbie can make something that will get by just fine, but can you make an acid wrap? How about a feather in-lay? Made any rod handles out of unique material like pool cues or elk horns? More importantly, does a newbie know how to locate the spine on a spinning rod vs. a baitcasting rod vs. an acid wrap? Does a newbie know the benefits and costs of any one particular blank to help a person get matched up with the best rod for him or her?
Like anything else, the more you learn about it, the more you learn there is a lot to know TO DO IT WELL. Knowledge and experience will produce a good rod matched with any one customer, and a newbie has very little of either.
Scoot

Scoot, Again not to take anything away from the custom builders out there, they make fine products. But I must respectfully disagree.

First off, if it is not glaringly obvious to a skilled angler that a spinning rod and a casting rod are spined differently (Big clue, the direction that the guides face...) you would have to question that persons ability to cross the street by themselves. Come on! Anyone not familiar with what the spine of a rod blank is, most likely would not be in the market for a custom rod, nor interested building their own. Most books, videos, classes and instructions cover this topic in adequate depth, and the concept and techniques for locating the spine are easily mastered by even beginning rod builders.

Thats fine and good, I have been making rods for over 15 years now myself, I did not say that a beginner could make a rod of equivalent quality to a custom maker with thousands of rods under his belt. But a beginner can make a rod that a kid can fish with, and a novice can use the same materials as a pro, and have a nice rod, maybe not as pretty, but if one took the time and effort and was carefull with all steps it would be EVERY bit as functional. And a novice who has made several rods and who is interested, can practice all the fancy wrap designs and techniques, and eventually build a rod of equivalent quality to that.

The other things you mention, yes creativity does enter into custom rod building, but creativity is an individual thing, just because one guy wants to build them with elk antler handles, another guy with lathe turned exotic hardood handles, another guy with the finest Brazilian cork, its all the same adaptation on a theme. For the cost of a handful of custom built rods, a guy could build many more of his own, just the way he likes them. A powered guide wrapping jig is not necessary, I know several pros who wind their finest rods by hand. And a perfectly serviceable wrapping vise can be bought or made for a minimal investment when one keeps the price of custom rods in perspective. I think rod building is a great hobby, and would encourage anyone interested to give it a try; community ed, colleges, and some tackle shops offer rod building classes, there are books and videos available, plenty of opportunities for anyone who may be interested.

Building fine rods does take some skills and is not for everyone, most can be learned, but the desire to do fine work and pay attention to details are necessary.

Custom wrapping techniques are not secrets, there are several books written on just that topic. Anyone who is interested and willing to practice a few times can learn step by step how to wrap feather in-lays, cheveron, thunderbird, tuna, amoungst many other patterns, even design their own.

[This message has been edited by coldone (edited 07-25-2003).]

I'm not trying to argue with you. Sounds like we agree more than we disagree. I do still disagree with you on a few points, but I'm not going to beat the proverbial "dead horse". Nuf said about that.

Back on track-- This thread started out with posts complimenting my dad. Thanks to all for the kind words- he'll really appreciate it.

huntnfish, I forgot to mention to you- I drive a dark green 1750 Alumacraft with a 115 Yammy and a 9.9 kicker Yammy. I'm out on White Earth fairly often so swing over and say howdy next time you're out.
Scoot

I sure will do that if I can ever get caught up on a few things and actually get out on the water. I looked up the prices of the materials that my rod was made with and it really didn't cost much more for him to do it.

huntnfish,

One thing to keep in mind is to be sure you're comparing apples to apples. Did the rod you compared it to have the same guides (you got the top of the line), the same wooden reel seat, the same pheasant feather inlay? If you compared it to a standard legend elite, you'll definitely find you paid more. However, if you compare it to what it would cost to get the exact same product from St. Croix, you made off like a bandit (actually you couldn't buy one straight from St. Croix with all of the add-ons you had). Point is- make sure you're compare apples to apples down to the last bell and whistles when you compare price.

Has your dad found any fish with it? I've struggled on White Earth this year again.
Scoot

A rodsmith is much like a gunsmith.

You can get a sigleshot built to order as basic or as extravagant as you wish it to be.

The big benefit of custom is getting what you wish as I see it.

Some are works of art, man I have seen some bute's Eh..UF-Da!

Quality is in the craftsmanship on many things. Built in from the basics to the refined details that make it a true work of angling art.

It all starts with your needs. I have seen the need to get custom sticks made from time to time, and they all get built to use.

In my experience, shopping for a good rodsmith is all in watching how well they work with the fine details to get the final product just as the customer ordered. There are good and not so good rodsmiths.

I have a short list of good Rodsmiths, Rod E is on top.

------------------

701-281-2300
[email protected]

Scoot,
Your dad does a hell of a job. I have had two SCII and a SCIII blanks made by him and they are pretty sweet. Would recomend him to anybody.

To read some of the things some people have written on this thread, if it don't have custom made wooden or elk horn handle and it is not worth having.

I make my own rods also and although they probably are not the real works of art that some of the real pros make, I do get comments that they too are real beauties.

I think it is out of line to make the statement that others work is inferior even if you have never seen it. I am guessing that coldone and others make some fine rods. I know mine are smile.gif

Upnorth I agree and disagree with you.

A rod is to be used, unless it is only a show piece rod. I seen a $4000 show rods at Thorn Bro's once, I about crapped my pants! For me functionality is the #1 consideration and after that it is all extras.

I do not think adding custom options to a rod is snobbery at all. Not any more then adding extra features to a pickup may be.

You get what you order, and as fancy as you wish. There are rods I call favorites that may cost under $20 and as simple as can be, but they do the job I wish them to do. Others I like a special tweak to dress them up or add some personality.

The big deal with customs is to get options the off the shelf providers do not offer. Not too much out there for after market dress ups for a fishing rod, not like on a truck.

Custom rods can be as elaborate or simple as the customer needs, and all may be works of art.

------------------

701-281-2300
[email protected]

Eddy,

Snobbery, maybe, maybe not.

I have seen some very nice hand done rods with very little if any extra frills. I have also seen some rods that were such show pieces I would not take them out on the water. There is also the in between, and that is all that I was referring to. Scoot seemed to infer that if it wasn't the show piece it was crap smile.gif

[This message has been edited by upnorth (edited 07-29-2003).]

If that's how it came across, my appologies- that's certainly not how I meant it. I don't mean to sound like a fishing rod snob. To say that if it's not a work of art, it's crap would be very wrong. Lots of very nice fish (lots more than I'll ever catch) have been caught on very plain-Jane, nice, functional rods.
Ed is definitely right- function is definitely the #1 priority. However, I still feel firmly that the little bells and whistles make for a really cool conversation piece and a piece of fishing equipment that I'm proud to own.
Scoot

Scoot,

I kinda feel the same way as far as bells and whistles go. I custom fit the handle for the purpose of that rod and add some fancy butt wraps or graphics on my rods too. And sometimes what a person writes doesn't always match what they intended to say. I know that sometimes I phrase things knowing what I meant, and it reads something else smile.gif