• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Licensing

Hossienda

I am a first time boat buyer, and got a 14' Lund with a 9.9 Johnson and also a trailer. I got the boat from a family friend who bought it new, and he had never put it in the water or had it licensed. What do I do?
According to the post on sales tax, I don't pay that, but do I need a boat title?? I am a little bit lost.
Thanks,
Hossienda

Hoss...check out the DNR's website for the license information...any boat over 9' needs to be licensed. You may find the title question there as well.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/watercraft/index.html

good luck.

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

I'm sure the link will help you out.

I too just got a boat for the first time in my life. However, it already had the lic and the new trailer tag.

So all I had to do was go to the DMV and get is registered in my name. You will have to pay tax on the trailer. They will ask you how much it's worth. Play dumb, um 50 bucks. Then you will be taxed on 50 bucks. It's not that expensive for the whole deal.

One little hint - if the license bureau you're at doesn't seem to be getting the job done without a hassle, find another one. There is a difference in customer service at these places. I've experienced it and talked to others who have too.

If the boat and trailer haven't been licensed for awhile or ever, I believe there's a form available at the license bureau the seller can sign that will put the rest of the process in motion.

If you bought the deal as a package just go with the NADA value on the trailer which will likely be $50-100.

The boat is easy. You'll just have to re-title and pay the fee. Make sure to bring in the serial no. They're more picky with the trailer. You can get the form, fake the transfer information and say that it was never licensed. You'll probably have to pay to transfer title and to get new registration, could be around $50.

I don't know, if it's never been licensed you may get stuck with the sales tax. Someone has to pay the sales tax, and it's usually done at the time of licensing. I can't see how to get away from that. Everybody would have their friends buy their boats and transfer them into their names if that would work.

I went to the one in Plymouth - next to Ridgedale. I was there on Sat morning, it was busy, but no hassles at all and they know what they're doing. Good experince, and it takes a lot to impress me.

Thanks for the info guys. I am hoping to get in there this week, and we will just find everything out.

Hossienda

I don't know about other places, but the bureau in richfield that I have gone to for three of our boats we haven't had bill of sale for two, no titles for two, and hadn't been licensed for years, but they didn't care, they licensed them too us. They had been previously licensed, so that was the only difference. They are pretty easy to work with, usually. Good luck, and have fun with the new boat.