• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

T.I.P/or not?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

can it be luck,
here is TeeDee's Post:
Recently, my family and I spent a week at a small resort in Northern MN. During my time spent on the water, I noticed a pontoon that would pull up and anchor on the same spot every morning. {an older gentlemen all by himself} He would stay there 3 to 4 hours the whole time pulling in crappies and sunnies. Size didn't matter as most would end up in his basket. This basket would get very full.
I watched him do this at least 5 days that week. Now, unless he ate these fish everyday or gave them away to people he knew, he had to have a freezer full of fish that would put him over his limit.
Do I make a phone call? Do I confront him myself? What would you do?
Thanks in advance for your input!

TeeDee just made a statement of what he observed and asked for opinions on what to do based on those observations. Everyone has shared their opinions, including you.

I don't see anything in his post that goes to the extremes your posts suggest.

I don't agree with the confrontation position unless you are trained, qualified and prepared for the consequences of that action. Initiating friendly or helpful contact may be a good option if you are good with people. Contacting the CO would seem like the prudent and best way to go about it for most people.

Getting the facts are indeed important. It's something that can be done by observation, either by initiating contact or by calling the CO to observe. Now back to the topic:

Which would you do and why, can it be luck???

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• can it be luck?

• TeeDee

• Dave

• Mark Christianson

Obervation. Keep a log to remember dates,times,location,boat info.,etc. Then I would have facts. After getting the facts, I would then contact the proper authorities and relay this info., even call back to follow up if anythings been done. No one can give info. about things they dont really know about. Describe a situation and apply to two different instances, with different people you would have different answers. Every situation is different.

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 07-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 07-21-2003).]

Rick,
Thanks for bringing us back to the real question. An observation was made and a question was asked. Who knows where all the other B.S. came from. I have been reading this post for the past week and wondering where some of these people were coming from. This weekend I was fishing a river and saw a guy fishing with what I thought was two lines (illegal). After the guy left I went up and found out it was a bobber attached to some line that had been broken off. Moral of the story is don't jump to conclusions. Its good to ask for advise on this, but TeeDee, you are the only one who saw this take place. Use your judgement and the advise given in some of these posts and do what you think is right.

Thanks can it be luck,
I agree, that's another good way to handle the situation.

Let's stay on topic here please.

TeeDee, Please understand that none of this is directed at you. Far from it. No one but you or any other winesses are able to make that call for that particular situation. I can understand if you feel as though it was, but I had to exaggerate a few things to make a point. Any dealings with the law, are legal matters, and could have some serious repercussions. Good advise based on all the needed facts can help you make a wise and guilt free decision. Some of the advise was good, although some was bad IMO. Some people may take the wrong advise with terrible consequences. I dont want anything bad to happen to you. You seem like a reasonable person, I'm sure you'll make the right decision. can it be luck?

DO SOMETHING!!!
Report it to TIP and the local warden at the least. They will decide what to do. Because this guy lives on the lake a CO will keep an eye on him and catch him in the act. CO's are spread thin so when you see a violation let them know about it. TIP isn't a hindrance to law enforcement, its a tool so get involved. If I see a violation that I think wont result in prosecution because certain of circumstances then I will confront them. Either way their not going to go unchecked.

If your seen with to many lines and over limits of fish don't blame any waste on the CO's for thawing out illegal fish.

Wow, what a topic. I happen to know TeeDee and he is not out to hurt anybody, but he is concerned. TeeDee's only problem is he does not fish enough. One week up north does not make a fisherman.

can it be luck: I enjoyed your replys. I think you were just stirring the pot. Good job. I am going to guess you are a good fellow also.