• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rapala

That's how Minnesotans pronounce it; but I think in Finland, where they are from, it is RA-PAUL-AH.

MM

I'm with Irvingdog on this one. Ra-PAUL-ah sounds like a French cross-dressing superhero.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

The freakin' Finns say it that way. I knew an exchange student from Finnland who pronounced addidas AH-DEE-DAHS. Scandihoovians like too drag out the vowel sounds. Yoooo Betchaaaaa!
Now go to bed Robert!

mm

i'm with the dog - Laurie Rapala pronounced it RAP-uh-luh, not rup-AHLAH, like they do down here.

i get laughed at all the time when I pronounce it correctly - at least around here (which is TX)

it's one heckuva a bait though....great for bucketmouths....

[This message has been edited by fishinjoe (edited 07-12-2003).]

In finnish the r in rapala is rolled like the spanish rr and in the scandinavian tradition the word is spoken like it has been sung. The southerners almost never pronounce it correctly. but then does it really mater. There is no anyway's ( no s ever on the end and adding an apostrophe to it doesn't give anyway posession of anything) Etcetera, not eckcetera. It's Wal-MART not Wal-mark. I hear these all the time. Next time you are in a dept store listen to the page for the person to call the Jewl-a-ry dept, It's JEWEL-RY. Let the folks down south have their vernacular.
Stepping down.
God lyk!
JC

mistermom you got it right. one of my favorite things to do in life is to throw my raps and mepps in front of smallies. I get grief too when I say it correct but what the hey, I can take it.

My father who's 100% Finnish told me the correct way to say Rapala.
You enunciate the rap in a low voice like "rrop", and the ala in a normal voice but said "ola".
So it sounded like "rrop-ola".
He could speak fluid Finnish and would always refer to me as "boyga" as he would speak Finnish to the hardware man in Osakis Minnesota. I would always look behind me as he said boyga to look for a boy in the store!
HaHa! He would always swear at me in Finnish when he was upset with me!

I now live in Ely, land of the Fins. Rule of thumb is, with a Fin name, you emphasize the first syllable. Doesn't help with how to pronounce the "a"in the first syllable, or the last two, but I go with the guy with the Finnlander forefather.

And it doesn't matter how a Fin pronounces Adidas, because Adidas isn't a Finnish word.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 07-14-2003).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

We've been saying RAP - uh - la since they were introduced from Finland into the US. I had the pleasure to shoot the bull with the owner on a trout lake off the Gunflint.

My mother in law is from Finland along with a dozen close friends. They say RAP - uh - la also. Its one of the few words I can understand because of their deep Finish accent. The Finns are proud of the Rapala along with Nokia phones. If I said Rapaula in front of them I'd be corrected harshly with a few other words thrown in I dont know. grin.gif

I stand corrected; but I figured out where I got the "paula" from. I got a Normark rapala video where the announcer pronounces it that way through the whole video.

mm

The other thing is that in Germany how you pronounce things all depends upon your regional dialect. "Ich" which is "I" is prounounced "ish" in some parts and "ick" in other parts of Germany. Maybe Finns have regional dialects too. I don't know.

[This message has been edited by mistermom (edited 07-14-2003).]

As the saying goes: "You can always tell a Finlander, but you can't tell'em much". grin.gif

This reminds me of the debate of how to pronounce "sauna". wink.gif

Finns, such as myslef and the the rest of my relatives all across The Range, pronounce it "sowna". While my wife, her family, and almost everyone in the metro, pronounce it "sawna".

I'll stick with the way grandma and grandpa used to pronounce them. wink.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

LOL, I caught heck from the mother in law for not putting in a sowna when I finnished off my basement. Finns love their sowna, its a way of life in Finland.

Yeah, if you pronounce it "sawna" in Ely, you'd better be ready to buy the next round or get out of town.