• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Discuss your preference

united jigsticker

Which do you prefer and why?

Console or tiller?

I own a tiller, and wouldn't go another way.

The immediate control over steering and the ability to fish straight forward and jig or cast while trolling, still fishing or backtrolling, while looking at my electronics, rod tip, and line, is a custom I don't think I could ever kick.

UJ

i got a 16.5 lund explorer with my brother alphid and it is a tiller. for the size of the boat and i would think for that up to 18.5 feet, the tiller is nice for reasons you mentioned but also for the added space it gives over a console.

Now when i get that bass boat, there will be no thinking of tiller, although it would be quite a fun workout holding 150hp+ motor, heh heh.

This is a classic question. You first must look at the facts of your fishing. Do you fish big water verses smaller lakes?? Are you a tournament fisherman where every minute counts?? Do you use your boat solely for fishing?? Are you a precise structure guy or do you drift large flats and troll cranks alot?? I have always been a tiller guy, and I think that's only because thats what I've used. I have a hard time thinking about going to a console, but I know I must for what I want to do. Guy's I have talked to say it's like starting out with an electric fillet knife. It's strange at first, but the more you do it the easier it is. By the way I switched to an electric fillet knife a couple of years back and haven't touched my rapalla in years.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Another tiller man here. For reasons already mentioned. I do a lot of precision presentations and can do these under almost any weather condition.

There is an advantage for consoles in rough big water travel, speed and smoothness in ride. But for pure fishing purposes it's tough to beat a tiller.

Depends on what your using it for... its hard for my kids to learn boating on a tiller (and potentially usafe)...

Wally

I had a Lund Nisswa, 75 HP Merc Tiller, best boat I ever had....

just as an FYI... Pete Marsh tested a Ranger 620T with a 250 on the back earlier this year. He topped it out at almost 70mph...
I guess he was testing a new power steering system...

------------------
-FNC

"If I had a job... I'd quit it."

I'm a comfort guy and the wife owns part of the boat so she like a wrap around windshield so I am a consel man cuz I'm Lazy and I like comfort ( so does the wife).
I do agree about space and precision being a huge plus. If I ever had the talent to fish for a living I would go with a tiller.

StayNChargeBob

------------------
Charge your boats batteries while you tow!
I know how...you can too!
Stay-N-Charge: Click Here

UJ, help me out here.. How do you fish straight forward with a tiller, and how can you do it better with a tiller than with a console? Seems to me that's negligible. Seriously, educate me.

My preference would be with a console. (I operate a tiller now). With the kids that I have, I'd rather be closer to them in the middle holding on to a steering wheel than stuck to a stick in the back. When they get older, I know they'll dump the fishing for a tube or a set of ski's. Regardless, I'm sure it'll be a compromise of some sort.

I've been stuck on LOW in a storm with a tiller. I didn't drive, but I know the driver would've preferred being able to see over the waves. Visibility is an issue on the bigger lakes.
I guess for me, it's a console all the way.

When I'm sitting in my boat, I have the tiller handle in my left hand and my rod in my right. I am facing square with the side of the boat, and looking straight out to open water. In front of me is my Vexilar.

With a console, you have the throttle and shift controls plus a steering wheel to operate. I am right handed and these controls are on the right side. That means I can't use my right hand for my fishing rod, and would make for awkward jigging, or I would be switching hands, turning in my seat to operate controls, fish, etc. Too much extra curricular stuff for me.

I should add I often am fishing tight schools of fish, and typically vertically jig them.

It's a precision, pin-point thing for me, and what I am most comfortable with. Everything is in it's place and I can effectively fish for the Crappies this way with very minimal movement or adjustment on my part.

Hope this helps answers your questions. If not, I'll be happy to further explain my "comfort" with tillers.

Good fishing.

UJ

I'm in the same boat (not really, but you know what I mean) as staynchargebob,.
If it was totally up to me, I believe i would go with the tiller as well.
My brotherin law has the awesome fishen rig i always wanted, everything is right there in front of you and convenient basically the way jiggersticker just explained it.

The wife has alot of say in this issue, and its not too often she gets much say, heh, heh.
The boat I have now (speedboat) has been a pain , unless your pulling cranks, or anchored. Until now I put a good bow mount troller on, so it make trolling slower an option now, but theres the comfort option, there is none for me, I like to be higher over the water and I dont have pedestals in my boat, so I usually just stand, and thats a real tiring if your fishing 6-8 hours, heh, heh.

Anyway, the wife and I came to a comprimise,
and I am looking for a decent fish-n-ski unit for next year. Atleast they have a live well and pedestal seets so it'll make my fishing time more comfortable and the wife and kids time more comfortable as well.

i've been looking at Nitros, and procraft,
most likely used, I'm not made of money.

but I dont see any reason this option wouldn't be as convenient as a tiller.
you can run your bow mount, and still have your electronics setup in front of you in your favorite spot.
The only MAIN INCONVENIENCE, would be back trolling and mainly when the water is rougher.
but whatdo iknow, heh