• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ever have one of those nights? Long...

This should be a continuation to the bad things happen in 3's post.

Here's the story...

My wife and I don't spend a lot of time on the water together as I usually go out for 10+ hour days when I go fishing and she doesn't have the patience to tolerate that length of time on the water. Last night was a good opportunity to spend only about 5 hours on the lake and my wife decided she would come with.

Remember that bad things happen in 3's so start counting.

#1 On the way to the lake I hit myself...I had forgot to put the trailer lock in the hinge before we left and it was on top of the boat, leaving it on the side of the road somewhere between home and the lake.

#2 We get on the lake and after about an hour of fishing I ask my wife if she would help take off the wind-shield so I could see the locator while sitting in the front seat. I tell her to be careful as one of the four twist locks did not have a washer to hold it in place. I tell here to wait as I adjust the trolling motor and meanwhile she had pulled and off flew the twist lock which proceeds to flip into the water and make its way to the bottom of the lake.

#3 At 8:10 I decide to move to a different spot on the lake so we fly accross the lake and start fishing. At 8:30 my wife notices water coming up from the floor of the boat and because I had checked my drain plug before going out I thought there was something seriously wrong! I turn on the bilge and take a look in the hull...its plump full of water. I try to get us moving back to the landing, but with the hull full of water we ain't going anywhere! I stop the motor and my wife starts to panic yelling help! help us! I too let out a single help and then start to think. I run to the back of the boat and submerge half of my body in the water, throwing my hands underneath the motor...NO PLUG! I start cussing like a mad man go to the front of the boat grab my spare plug go to the back, once again submerging myself under the water to put the plug in and stop my boat from sinking. It took 25 minutes for the bilge to get all the water out of the hull.

2 Morals of the story...

1. Bad things do happen in 3's.

2. You sure do have to go to extreme measures to make sure that your wife will never go fishing with you again...lol!

By the way we haven't named our boat yet which is maybe causing this bad luck. Any suggestions for a white Lund Angler 1700 with 115 Yami 4 stroke?

Heres hoping our next time out will be less eventful. On a good note I did catch 10 walleyes ranging from 10-21 inches which were all CRP'ed. When I got home I decided to take a drive around town to see if I could find the needle in the haystack trailer lock in the dark...I found it sitting on the side of the road at the second stop sign I hit on the way to the lake.

Here's to the good times!

SUNNYD

[This message has been edited by SUNNYD (edited 07-01-2003).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Whitewashed
Mumma Says No
Call For help
Pool Party
Loose Plug
Water World
Saved By The Yell

it happen to me once when i took my brand new boat and took 2 women with me went to mississippi river and one of lady told me water were flood andi look at it and oh no i forget to plug in so i went to shore fast so let blipe(sp) run and i jumped in water and plug in i was so embrasses
you need name for your lund boat what about uss minnow :-)

I second Miss Adventure & Pool Party. Congrats finding the lock!

Up on Kab this past Memorial week my in-laws launched without the plug in and did the same thing, and then mistook rock hazard bouys for no-wake bouys. Adios El Propos. I've launched with out my plug once and just my luck there was another FMer there to see me...Doh!

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Just so you know you are not the first one to have a bad day at the lake.
I bought my Boat last summer and outside of one outing with another adult to help launch it I had little experience with a larger boat (my old one was a 12 footer this one is 17') It was last July 3rd and I was launching my boat with just my 2 young boys, 12 and 10 (my 12 yr old is like a 16 yr old in size and mentality) I handed the rope to my 12 yr old and told him to keep the boat from going to far when i bump the boat off. I was in my truck and gave the boat a light bump when I realized that my son was having trouble with the rope and was being pulled into the lake off the dock. I panicked and jumped out of my temporarily stopped truck (my foot on the brake was the only thing stopping the Truck) Grabbed my son from the water and looked around to see the rear of my truck starting to submerge quickly. The door was still open and I franticly tried to stop it with my hand on the brake but realized at that moment that the truck was starting to sink and there was nothing i could do at this point except save myself from being swept away with the truck.
So there I am looking at my 98 Dodge ext cab 4x4 sitting there at the bottom of the lake at the launch with 5 foot of water surronding it and streams of water gushing from the vents, a tear came from my eye. Both my boys were Ok and so was I. It all happend so quickly. Some one asked me a few minutes later if the boat was OK, I looked at this guy and said "No Duh! Dude, The boat floats!"
Well after getting the tow truck out there ASAP The DNR dicided not to fine me for polluting because I had the truck out within the hour and he felt that by the looks of my approaching wife that I was going to get verbally tounge lashed from her for an eternity and that was tougher than any ticket I could have gotten. My insurance took care of the truck Very Nicely I might add. I almost sold the boat but decided to continue getting it in the water. I will say this much, my mental checklist that I follow when launching is very embossed into my brain and hope this never happens to me or anyone else out there. Well Thats my story, hope it was entertaining.

P.S. wish me luck, I'm going out to Big McKenzie lake north of Spooner, Wi this weekend in search of walleye. Hope i can fill a plate or 2 and keep the new GMC out of the drink.

StayNChargeBob

------------------
Charge your boats batteries while you tow!
I know how...you can too!
Stay-N-Charge: Click Here

By the way we named the boat "Glub Glub" after I sunk the truck.

heres a few names for ya

SS Fullawater

StillAfloat

Sinking Feeling

StayNChargeBob

------------------
Charge your boats batteries while you tow!
I know how...you can too!
Stay-N-Charge: Click Here

gatorbait
SS lakebottom
new structure
Lund submarine

Sounds like you had an eventful trip.

If I may offer one bit of advice, install your plug from the INSIDE of the boat.

It might be a slight pain in the butt to get at, but it's alot more secure this way in my opinion.

Good fishing

UJ

I have had some rough days on the water...but nothing like that grin.gif.

Thank you for your replies on the name for the boat. I went over to the boat dealership yesterday and picked up 3 plugs...I guess I am kind of paranoid, but hey I ain't gonna run out of plugs!!!

Last night I performed the post break-in period oil/gear oil change on my Yamaha 115 Four Stoke. I guess after almost having your new boat and motor sink the night before you tend to appreciate doing the small things a little more than you did before.

By the way I have written down a bunch of the boat name you have suggested and will be running them by my wife tonight. Anybody know a good place to get decal's performed?

A good lesson is one that you learn from. I learned mine on the night of Miss Adventure, that has got a good ring to it!

SUNNYD

Well to make a long story short. Try having your boat floating aimless in the shipping channel with a 1000 foot ore boat bearing down on it. The US Coast Guard told me after they sent the bomb sniffing dog aboard. (Just after Sept 11, 2001). Turns out a couple of guys steal my boat from the slip, hits the ore boat permantly docked in front of me, and several docks on his way out. Then litterally drives it up on shore! Run!!! Then wind changes, floats out for the Coast Guard to find. More than $20,000 in damage. The moral of the story: Dont ever leave a spare set of keys hidden in the boat!

------------------
End of the Line Charters
Lake Superior
1-888-U-HOOK-EM
www.fishontheline.com

[This message has been edited by End of the Line (edited 07-08-2003).]