• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Alaska bound this summer?

Must be a few others heading up this summer. I'm making my 4th trip since 96, all to the Kenai peninsula (so far). Who else is counting the days??? Two of us will be camping along the Kenai July 20-28, mostly fishing reds with the requsite halibut trip as well. 39 days, and counting...

Headin' to Sitka in August.There will be four of us all first timers!Can't wait to see the awesome scenery and wet a line.I love to catch walleyes and catfish,but this year I'm looking forward to Halibut and salmon.Good fishin' Jigster

Jigster, I hear the Sitka ara is great, one of these years we'll have to pell ourselves away from the KP and check it out down that way. 2 years ago we were on a 4 day/3 night sleep-on-th-boat charter out of Seward (which is a lot like the inside passage) and the scenery is fantastic. The silver fishing isn't half bad either smile.gif Have a blast!

Traveler,I see you're from Duluth.A guy from Duluth is a captain on a boat where we'll be fishin' out of.He resides in Duluth during the off season.If you're thinking about checking out Sitka maybe you'll have to give him a call!Can't wait til August!!!!If you want some info, send a e-mail to [email protected] Good fishin' Jigster

Alaska---fond memories from last year with a month and a half spent touring and fishing many drainages of Alaska, including the Kenai. Caught Reds, Sivers, Chum, and Humpies along with grayling, dollies and rainbows and of course a Halibut trip. I am curious what opinions/suggestions folks have on boats for fast streams. I noticed alot of Willy boats on the rivers up there but am thinking that when I return next summer I will bring my own boat for better fishing away from the crowded public shores. Need to have 35 hp or less and 4 stroke only on the Kenai but I am curious about particular boat styles that would be good on swift rivers but would also be a good boat for smaller lakes etc here in MN. I have a 17 foot with 90 horses but that is too big to tow and to many horses for the restrictions. Opinions on what to look for in a river boat that would be great for fishing and safest/easiest handling in swift current are much appreciated. Brian

Fishfondler; I had a friend who trailered his 16 ft. lund up there a few years ago and it worked OK on the kenai. Unless you're going to live up there, I wouldn't buy a river boat. Deep V lunds and the like are much better on lakes, and can still do the job on a river. 6 weeks, huh? Only 15 years till retirement and I'll be able to make the drive and spend a whole summer, knock on wood.