• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My Rant: Just for the record....

Someone else mentioned that a lot of people who like fishing do not like water skiers/jet skiers/etc, and I am wondering how many people do all three and more?

I just sold my jet ski, but it was great - going 60 MPH on calm water is awesome. I miss it a lot - but I do not miss when some jerk with a boat cuts in front of you not paying attention, violating marine right of way. It sucks.

Then, sometimes I'm driving my boat and the opposite happens - somebody cuts me off in a jet ski or comes to close to jump my wake or just generally ****es me off.

And, likewise, water skiing, when someone who is out either jet skiing or fishing doesn't pay attention where they are going and they create hazards by throwing out a bouy in the middle of a slalom course.

And don't even get me started about how few people REALLY know maritime signals and flags. One guy in my diving certification class got hit by some jerk in a boat. There is no excuse. We had proper international diving flags out.

The entire point of this is: it doesn't matter WHICH of these activities you like or dislike - it's not a matter of what the activity is. It is a matter of the person operating the water craft being responsible and knowing how they should behave. I guarantee you that the guy who comes too close in a jet ski is going to do the same thing in a boat if he's out fishing or on skis if he is water skiing.

Everyone just needs to be informed. Here's my quiz for you all:

1.) How far from shore do you have to be to be going fast enough in any craft to create a wake (ie, above idle speed).

2.) What are the colors and layout of the international diving flag?

3.) What are the rules one must follow when seeing a diving flag when operating a watercraft?

4.) What is the permissable distance from another boat one must maintain when under power?

5.) How far behind a boat does a jet ski have to be to jump a wake?

6.) What is the universal rule of right of way for different sized craft?

7.) For non-professional skiers, what is the minimum total number of people who must be in the boat and towed behind for a skier to ski legally?

8.) A canoe and a powerboat are both entering an area at the same time. Which has right of way?

9.) What are the two colors of the universal "emergency" light that are considered to have all right of ways and all craft must yield to?

10.) What color and symbol bouys mark a channel through a dangerous area?

If you don't know the answers to every one of these questions - you need to study up before you start complaining about any one else's behavior.

Just my 2 cents - and that's the end of this rant.

I've been on both sides of that fence.

It never used to fail when we got out our ski gear, some boat would always anchor in front of our dock. Then they would give us the evil eye when we would start to ski.

My question is what is the speed limit on inland lakes - 60 mph?? Just Curious??????

[This message has been edited by bemduckboy (edited 06-11-2003).]

Most Metro lakes I beleive are 40 on weekends and after a certain time of day atleast... but most of them have their own set of regulations posted at the launch. Those over-ride any "state wide" regulations or such.

i believe the minimum number of people in the boat is one other than the driver unless you have a mirror to moniter the skier your pulling

That is correct Fish-On.

I took a certified boating safety course and was tested by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators and United States Coast Guard about 10 years ago.

What that means is I have a card in my wallet that says I can remember what I read and was taught for 2 weeks.

We all know the speed limit is 55, but do we all drive it?

Just because they would know the laws doesn't mean they'll follow them. After all, would that be any fun? wink.gif

I think common sense goes way further then laws that are in place. If someone is fishing in the middle of a lake, common sense and courtesy tells us to stay away a respectable distance and leave them be...or at least I hope it does.

There is always someone that has to drive by close on a half-plane making a big wake to see what we are catching. Good thing for "Boat Legs" smile.gif

Good fishin!

I was thinking about this today, and wondering how far people would go to enjoy their specific activity.
I would be willing to give up my even days fishing to guarantee that on the odd days there would be no recreation boaters and a 30mph speed limit. Seems extreme but I'm afraid it's coming to that. What do others think of this idea:
Memorial day-Labor day on metro area lakes, odd days fishing only, with 30 mph speed limit and even days go all out with jet skis/boat skiiing whatever. You could even stagger it on different lakes so you could fish every day.

I think I'll just go to rural lakes where traffic is light.

I'll take it too.

1.) How far from shore do you have to be to be going fast enough in any craft to create a wake (ie, above idle speed).
I ALWAYS try to stay 200 ft.

Same as the "Diver Down" Van Halen album cover.

3.) What are the rules one must follow when seeing a diving flag when operating a watercraft?
I would also say "stay the heck away."

4.) What is the permissable distance from another boat one must maintain when under power?
I use hundreds of feet away.

NEVER NEVER NEVER jump a wake. Unless you have a death wish.

Might makes right. Get out of the way of the big boys.

7.) For non-professional skiers, what is the minimum total number of people who must be in the boat and towed behind for a skier to ski legally?
I thought 2. One to drive -one to watch.
I beleive the rule is different in WI. That's cause 'Sconi people are mutant and have eyes in the back of their heads tho. Yuk-Yuk. Just kiddin'

8.) A canoe and a powerboat are both entering an area at the same time. Which has right of way?
Any craft under "power" does not have the right of way. This also applies to sailboats that are under sail.

9.) What are the two colors of the universal "emergency" light that are considered to have all right of ways and all craft must yield to?
I'll Guess. Red and Blue?

Solid Red and Green. I beleive it is different for USCG waters tho.

Consultant,
I know I didn't get them all right. You may know all the answers and be well versed in boating safety. But you will be very hard pressed to convince me that all those kids (teeenagers/young adults) and other speed demons on PWC and powerboats have any idea about boating safety. You are what is known as the exception to the rule. And I congratulate you for that.

quote:

Consultant,

I know I didn't get them all right. You may know all the answers and be well versed in boating safety. But you will be very hard pressed to convince me that all those kids (teeenagers/young adults) and other speed demons on PWC and powerboats have any idea about boating safety. You are what is known as the exception to the rule. And I congratulate you for that.

Actually, I had to look a couple of them up - I was up late last night and irritable because my wisdom teeth were bugging me, so I was about due for a rant smile.gif

But, in any case, the overall point is exactly what you said - a lot of the people out there don't know the rules (or even common courtesy) but it really doesn't matter what craft they are driving. It's their own responsibility to know the rules.

I'm going to post the answers below.

Some are quotes from the MN DNR web site:

1.) I can't find this one now but I found it last night. I believe it is 150 feet. Geez, not good when the first question blows up on me!

2.) The diver’s flag must measure at least 15 inches horizontally and 12 inches vertically. Both sides must have a red-colored background bisected diagonally by a three-inch wide white stripe.

3.) [it is illegal] To operate a watercraft within an area legally marked off or set aside as a swimming area, or within 150 feet of a diver’s warning flag

4.) This one is not an exact measurement - When overtaking another watercraft going in the same direction, the craft being overtaken must maintain course and speed. The passing watercraft must keep a sufficient distance to avoid collision or
endangering the other craft from its wake.

5.) [You may not] Weave through congested watercraft traffic or jump the wake of another watercraft within 150 feet of the other boat.

[You may not ] Jump the wake of another boat within 150 feet of the craft.

6.) The more maneuverable craft has to yield - usually this is the smaller boat but occasionally a large fast boat has to yield to a small boat like a canoe.

7.) 3, including the skier. One to drive, one to watch the skier, and obviously the person skiing.

8.) Non-motorized craft (sailboats, canoes, etc.) have the right-of-way over motorized craft in all situations, except when the non-motorized is overtaking or passing.

9.) Red and blue

10.) All-green and all-red companion buoys indicate that the boating channel is between them. In flowing water, the red buoy is on the right side of the channel when facing upstream.

[This message has been edited by Consultant (edited 06-11-2003).]

But I was born to complain about other peoples behavior. Just Kiddin'. Anyway yeah I'm sorry if I came off like a butthead. I'm feeling kinda chippy myself. I guess I need to consider the fact that the same jerks on the PWC can be the jerk in the fishing boat too. I bet all the people on the Sailboating website are complaining about all of us! Hope your teeth (or where they used to be) feel better.

2 the alfa blue and white, not the oscar. Using both wouldn't hurt. 6 the smaller craft has the right of way, and the unpowered craft always has the right of way. ( however your taking your life into your own hands if you want to sail your sloop in front of an ore boat on superior) okay I just realized something, why isn't a license by test and certification required for operators of watercraft? When the laws were first made to asses what requirements for boating, there were a lot fewer craft on the water. With the large proliferation of watercraft shouldn't the state require training and testing as in automobiles. I would have no problem taking classes to learn the rules of the road for watercraft operation and pass a test for a license. I also wouldn't mind having to take a class to take a test to fish, and vote!
Stepping
down.
God lyk!
JC

All right - I'll be brave. I know I'll miss some of these, but I'll take a shot at it.

-150 feet

-red with a diaginal white stripe

-stay the heck away. I'll go with 150 feet again

-50 feet

-150 feet

-smaller/non powered has right of way

-no clue

-canoe

-red/blue

-orange

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

holy ****! I'm sure glad the lake I'm on is 250 miles from the twin cities! It's no wonder so many people head north on the weekends.

When did they change the international/federal diver down flag back from the alfa flag to the traditional orange w/diagonal white?
JC