• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favorite Bird

I just read an article on Bob Janssen in the Strib. He's MN's number one birder.
It made me think about what bird's song I like to hear the most when I'm out fishing.
I'm sure that some of you guys are gonna rip on me but that's fine-- I'm secure in my masculinity.
Like when it's really early and the air is colder than the water so there is fog coming off it and its real quiet. What bird do you like to hear the most? Or what sound for that matter?
Mine would be the purple finch and mourning dove.

[This message has been edited by B-bear (edited 06-10-2003).]

Loon, 'cause I'm still kinda new to the state and it seems real...local color, y'know? A Loon gives me a real sense of place.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

I would say Loon too --except I hate when they pop up on the surface out of nowhere right next to the boat and scare the be-jeezes outa me.

[This message has been edited by B-bear (edited 06-10-2003).]

My favorite is hearing a Pheasant Cackle...
Reminds me that hunting season is coming! grin.gif
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Good Luck smile.gif
Chev

Dang that's another one I like.
I forgot about Pheasants too.
CACK-CACK-CACK-CACK!!!!
I don't hear those very often fishing tho.

I like to hear the Sound of Loons on a foggy fall or spring morning.
Its cool to see the mother with the "little one" on her back. Its amazing, no matter how close you get she wont dive with the baby loon on her back. Its a cool sight.

------------------
aka Fishstunner

Oh yes, the beautiful loon. It just makes my day to see and hear them at the lake. But at home I love waking up to the morning doves. My next favorite is the humming bird. They sound like a mini helicopter when they come in to the feeder.

------------------
Phyl

I love Birds! I got a backyard bird paradise...I can sit for hours and watch them.

When I'm out at night, I like the Owls. I listened to a Whip-poor-will the other night down by the river....Really neat.

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

As far as birds go, there isn't a better sound than a loon call at night while you lay in bed at the cabin.

As far as backyard birds, i love hearing the chickadees while im in the deer stand. Cute, curious fellows with a familar song.

My favorite bird while fishing is the call of the Loon.

As far as backyard birds go I really don't have a favorite song wise. As far as bird watching my favorites are the blue birds, humming birds and orioles. We have a wide variety of birds that visit our feeders and nesting boxes. We get blue birds, humming birds, goldfinches, sparrows, red winged blackbirds, orioles, barn swallows, tree swallows, and an occasional downey woodpecker.

Our blue birds are already on their second brood of babies, they layed their final egg yesterday and we should have young ones hatching in a couple of weeks.

I've taken pictures of some of my favorites and the latest batch of blue bird babies. If anyone wants to see them go to: http://community.webshots.com/user/hewey

(Hopefully this isn't an illegal link, it's just pictures, not promoting anything. Sorry if it is, please let me know.)

------------

Fishn'Lady

[This message has been edited by Fishn'Lady (edited 06-10-2003).]

i like hearing the jailbird singing....."get me outta here!!!! "......oh wait......wrong kind of bird......in the words of Emily Latilla......."nevermind"........

Nice Pic's Fishin' Lady. As far as favorite bird to hear out on the water. Osprey's and Eagles little "chirps" from way up high are pretty cool. Then of course when they dive bomb in and pick up a fish....Pretty cool!

Tight Lines!

No question about it. LOON
Why? Because then I know that I am fishing in Minnesota and not at work in Michigan.

As far as listening, all of them. I am happy I can hear them.

For viewing pleasure it would have to be while out wading a stream, watching the Cedar Waxwings
dance for their meal! Sometimes stopping mid-flight feet from my face, as if to see, "what's this guy doing"?

Birds Rock!

Anyone ever get a chance to hear Al Batt tell a few stories. He is quite the orintholigist(sp?).

Jim W

I love the sound of red-wing blackbirds in the early spring, they like to nest along water, and when I hear their song in the spring, it reminds me that the bluegills are comming in.

I also really like loons, to hear their call on a rainy foggy summer evening is simply majical.

I like the song of nearly all birds, I even have learned to appreaciate the wiley crow.

The call of the Wild Turkey - something about it makes me laugh.

I love the loon to. Has anyone heard a loon when a bald eagle is near? The loon makes a creepy kinda call.

It is hard to beat the sound of a loon on a still, foggy morning.

The mating song of a chickadee in late winter it neat as well.

We had a screech owl hanging out around our place for one summer and fall back in the early 90's. That was one bird song that got really old, really fast, LOL.

I like the sound of grouse drumming and of woodcock doing their incredible mating flight. Those are two of Spring's cooler sounds.

mm

The sqeaky wings of the Goldeneye are my favorite bird sound!

There's something about being on a frozen trout lake and hearing the CROAK-CROAK of a Raven as he flies overhead checking me out. Brings a smile to my face everytime, like he's letting me know that I'm not the only crazy one dealing with the lifeless frozen tundra. If it wasn't for the Chickadees, Nuthatches, and Ravens, the winter woods would be completely dead. I give them props for sticking around while all the other wussy birds head south for a Corona.

The sound of a ruffed grouse drumming or flushing can't be beat....

I too would have to say the Loon. Last weekend at the cabin I had the pleasure of falling asleep to the call of a loon. Could there be a more sooothing sound?

As far as the Backyard birds go, I enjoy the sound of the Cardinal, pretty neat. We have a few in the neighborhood and everyonce in awhile they'll perch in one of our trees.

I love the sounds of a nature, all of them, birds, small animals, large animals and the wind blowing through the trees, that is my heaven on earth.

I miss the beautiful sounds of the birds that I awoke to every day for the first eighteen years of my life.

Cheerful, Playful sounds that were intertwined with a bit of mischief.

Oh the sounds of the common pigeon. There is nothing better.

Turtle Doves also have a beautiful song.

Just one mans opinion.

P.S. I am pretty sure they can't connect me to the hudreds of remains buried behind my old garage. You can't get a fingerprint off of a BB..........can you?? grin.gif

Bills cupping their wings as they swing over the decoys. The rushing sound makes the guy eating his sandwich jump and drop same in the mud - the normally insatiable lab is so taken with the sound that he ignores the sandwich - and time seems suspended momentarily as the flock comes clearly into view.
Tweety birds are OK, but I'll take the bills.

Boat fishing: Loon (evening, rain, fog)

Shore fishing: Red Wing Blackbird/Yellow Headed Blackbird Tie (cool, sunny spring day, bass fishing)

Sharptail grouse hunting: Meadowlark (dewy, calm morning on fencepost or haybale at sunrise)

Early evening relaxing back at camp: Mourning Dove (leaves with the whistling wings)

Any other time: Chickadee--the freindliest, liveliest, toughest little bird of our north woods. The Chickadee is my favorite bird of all.

Thanks for bringing up this thread..... smile.gif

My pleasure,
Nobody's else's fav is the Purple Finch? I'm suprised. They aren't much to look at but man can they sing. Each one seems to have their own song too-- they're similar but they seem to each have their own little variation.

EBass,
Actually I have had the dis-pleasure of seeing a Bald Eagle snatch a baby loon off the back of a mamma (papa?) loon on Leech. I never want to see or hear that again. The screech was the most nasty thing I have ever heard. It gives me the willy's just thinkin' about it.

A few years ago, my nephew and I were canoeing on Little Man Trap early in the morning. A pair of Loons were out there, the first day they had their two young ones on the water. The male Loon called and I answered. I cup my hands as an air chamber as a sort of whistle. I tried to duplicate his call, but I must have goofed. He started squalling and darn near climbed into the caonoe with us. I must have said something bad about his mate in Loon talk. I've always had problems with foreign languages.