• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SHORE LIGHTS

HELLO ALL I,VE BEEN TALKING TO SOME FRIENDS ABOUT LIGHTS ON SHORE AND SOME SAY THEY SCARE FISH AWAY AND SOME SAY LIGHTS DRAW THEM IN JUST WANTED TO HEAR SOME OF YOUR THOUGHTS THANKS

Hmm, Good Q, my .02 is that it draws them in. Crappies for sure. Light gathers the insects, minnows eat the insects, game fish eat the minnows. But I could be completely wrong.

Good Q though

Lights pointed right at them will spook them. A light that is stationary will draw fish. As stated earlier it attracts insects and smaller baitfish, your bigger fish will hang on the outside edge of the perimeter and pick off baitfish as they get too close to the danger zone. Some of my best times when I was a kid was fishing from the neighbors dock with their huge flood light going.

If your talking big lights, consider the "light" polution factor. I'm no treehugger but consider the fact of what your doing to the value of the lakeshore. If you just need to see down the stairs or dock without breaking your neck, perhaps low voltage path lighting is the ticket. As an electrician, I've also installed motion lighting so when your down there it's on, when your not it's off. Just my opinion.

Chunky

In Kansas where it is legal we use giant floating lights to bring in the panfish...

Wally

Sssshhhh. This sounds like an edge of some sort, and any edge is gonna end up against regs...ssssshhhhhh. Chumming with light?!?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Too late... It's already illegal to use light for the purpose of attracting fish in MN.

Now if you use it to see and a little spills over onto the water...

Hey Chunky,

Any way you can set my lights up to pick up the motion of fish in the water??? That would be a great rig!

Do you think the stern light when fishing at night attracts fish? I would think so. Your thoughts? Now I know not everyone night fishes with this light on, but should for safety, I think.

---------

Fishn'Lady

One Leg, about time you joined up! You never asked me about the light thing? What's up with that? smile.gif Well, Dad and the guy's use to fall shore fish in front of the park with their lanterns on and had great success. Then the County installed the big parking lot light near the boat ramps and according to the "old man" wrecked the shore fishing there. I actually believe what wrecked the fishing with the big light was that it was more above and behind them and when the guy's moved about on the shoreline their shadow's actually scared the fish out into deeper water. Just my $.02 worth. But if I see you with your big light on at the end of your dock I'm gonna shoot it out!! LOL! smile.gifsmile.gif Let's catch some fish this weekend!

May 25/26 on a lake near brainerd log lining raps in shallow water along a shore with houses. There was a specific home with a party going on near the shore and they had a big bon fire and more importantly the flood lights on their boat house on. normally I hate that because it will blind a guy every time you go by but that night it showered down quite a bit of light on the water. we caught 6 fish in 6 passes but always just past or just before the lighted area, coincidence? I lean toward it made a difference, just my .02.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.