• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mille Lacs 7/14/01

waterfowler

I thought I would post a report on how my day went on the big pond. I got sunburned like you wouldn't believe. This fishing was very slow for our boat for the better share of the day. We fished the gravel on the south end to start out. Fished both crawlers and leeches with spinners and plain snells both. We boated one fish just over 18". We headed to the mud about 10am. We never caught a fish until 3. It was a dandy though. It was so close to 30 inches it wasn't funny. We measured it twice, but I didn't feel like paying a fine if the DNR's measuring board was different than ours. I would really like to have mounted it, but I guess that's why they make replicas. This was my biggest eye ever. Not far down, a tourney boat landed another 29.5 incher. OK, done bragging.

Anyway, for about a half hour some dark clouds rolled through and the fish took off. We boated 4 more fish in this time frame. We were pulling spinners in chartruese/black color. We were moving faster than all the other boats except a few. The fast movers were catching fish. Overall the fishing for the day was slow, but I caught the biggest eye of my life so I couldn't ask for a better day.

I'll be back in two weeks to try and top my new personal best. I do have to admit I look at the picture of the release and I'm glad I didn't keep the pig. Any of you guys gonna be out the weekend of the 28th and 29th??

Waterfowler,

Congrats on the big fish.....that must have been a dandy.

I'll be around that weekend. I'm taking a client fishing on that Friday, then have a company "outing" and will be on a launch Saturday afternoon. I'll be fishing on my own Saturday evening and perhaps Sunday morning.

Perhaps we could get together for a cold one Saturday night, unless you're going to be out all night fishing. Where are you staying? I think I'll be at McQuoids, but I haven't made the reservations yet.

Thanks!!! I'll email you the pick. It doesn't do the fish justice. I was in such a hurry to get it back that I forget to hold the fish decent for the pics.

I don't have any reservations anywhere at this point either. I often just crash in a ice shack somewhere cheap. I'll email you when it gets a little closer. It would be nice to meet and swap lies, as us fisherman do!!

You should know right now that all my fish stories are true......and, of course, I would expect the same from you.