• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Senior citizen license?

Blackstarluver

Ok what the heck is the state where nothing is allowed doing to our seniors? No reduced fee licenses for our wiser citizens this year has gotten me a little torqued! Is there some way we younger anglers can give donations to provide licences for seniors for nothing or somehow subsidize the paying of licences fees? I figure that our older anglers have paved the way for us to have better equipment and information, and reducing fees was a way to show gratitude for citizenship, and passing on the love of fishing. If we allow the state to do this then maybe it is now up to us to show appreciation by starting some foundation for the appreciation of senior anglers. I just read the rule book for this year, noticed the license fee increase, got really mad and wrote this. Please forgive the rambling, but I am really tired. Lets hear what you all here think of this, please.

Sincerely
JCC

My father is 75, and has always gotten the senior license. When he heard about it being canceled his first reaction, was o darn. But after all the coverage of the budget cuts and lack of funding, he is very supportive of it. Yea he'll have to pay a couple bucks extra, but I wouldn't mind them raising the license fees for all either. I know that the dnr is in a dire situation, and penny pinching anglers isn't gonna get them out of it. Although at the same time, I don't think it should all rely on the money coming from the buyers. Like the lottery money that the dnr gets, thats great, but they could definetley use a bigger percentage of the proceeds!

I agree our DNR needs $ but I dont think taking away the senior license program was the answer or one of them. I do know some seniors that "a couple bucks" makes a huge difference to! For some of these guys its all they have and all they look forward to. No GPS or toys, just a rod and real and some worms from the yard and they stand on the bank or piers. Every $ counts for them!

Northlander, I wish everything in the world could be free or subsidized in some way however that is not how the world works. Fishing in the state of MN is not a "right" it is a "privledge" and this comes with a cost. The state of Minnesota has a 4 billion dollar budget shortfall due to this belief that everyone should be able to do or get whatever they want and someone else is always going take care of paying for it...The well has finally run dry and those of "us" who work are butts off every day only to see 40% of our paychecks go out the window each week to subsidize someone else's needs and wants and once that is not enough money to cover the needs of others we sit back and watch our property taxes continue to rise each and every year to pay for more needs...Enough is enough!! If you wish to fish or participate in any other service there is a cost and "you" the user of this service need to pay full price for this and not expect "us" to pick up the tab. The "us" has paid long enough and now "we" have a 4 billion dollar budget shortfall that "we" all need to resolve. I am sorry to ramble but I have never got anything for free in my life and I am tired of this "entitlement" line of thinking...If you know a senior who is need, do the right thing and buy him/her a license but don't make this a state of Minnesota DNR issue.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pike1 (edited 03-30-2003).]

I agree with you to a point. I just think the seniors have paid their dues and deserve a break! Not free but a price break. As for buying the seniors that I know are struggling a license there is no way I could. I happen to know a lot of seniors who are on a strict budget and for me to buy all them their license would cost hundreds if not a thousand dollars. Believe me I wish I could but I dont have the funds too. Unless my powerball # get called.
I try to help them out with bait, tackle etc. but cant afford the licenses. Kids and seniors are fun to watch catch fish and I hate to see either of them not be able to do it for whatever reason!
Just my viewpoint. Im not saying its right or wrong its just my viewpoint.

Wow-that senior thing again. Lets get rid of the handicap parking zones, senior discounts in restaurants, and all perks we give our seniors. Hey Pike Man, I do have a RIGHT to fish, and expect, and am happy to pay to do it! It's a privledge to have the right. Lets' increase the fines HEAVILY for all slobs that get caught with over limits, keeping slotted fish, and littering our land. A lot of money could be collected til these animals learn to abide by the rules. Our seniors DESERVE any little thing we can give them. YA, I would pay for my parents license to fish, I'm still workin. Their not. Seniors typically just fish for relaxation with a pole and back yard worms like someone said. I dont think our fishing resource is in trouble with seniors fishing. It's the goofs with the pretty boats and tackle and fancy fishin techniques you have to watch. With that being said, I still believe that MOST fisherman are some the nicest, most honest people around. Sorry for the ramblin, but with war going on, I just feel we need to help each other as much as possible. Many seniors were Vets, too. Happy Fishing!

Maybe the DNR would have the money to fund the reduced senior licenses if they would quit spending the money they have frivolously. Spending it on fancy hotels, resorts etc. for their meetings. I can't remember how much was said to be spent by them for their luxury, but that's what chaps my hide the most. I don't want to give them anymore money than I have to until I know they know how to spend it wisely. I will now depart from my soap box.

------------

Fishn'Lady

[This message has been edited by Fishn'Lady (edited 03-30-2003).]

Enough with the senior fishing license already. The change is in effect and the cost of a few bucks is not going to alter anyone's lifestyle.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Pike1 (edited 03-30-2003).]

Northlander, I am actually a softy at heart and would do the whatever I could for any senior in need. I actually would like to see the discount stay in place as well. I think my comments were more out of frustration of people always believng they are "entitled" to everything and not the senior discount...I just need some time on the open water and all will again be well with the world.

I don't even know where to start with this one. I was very supriesed to hear that the senior license would no longer be offered. Howerver, when seniors make up a large percentage of the licensed people in MN it isn't going to take the DNR long to realize that and then they are going to do something about. I am sorry but the cost of a license is not that expensive what are they now $17 bucks. For me I don't even care because I bought a lifetime license so I am cover what a nice feeling to know that I never have to pay for another license. I know this doesn't apply to all seniors but I know that it is how my dad is. Catch and Release what is that. Seniors are usually fishing for there limit and they don't stop to think about what it means to a fishery to keep walleyes that are 3 lbs or bigger. It cost the DNR more to manage lake when they have to restock them, if we just released more of those larger fish we probably would have to worry about stocking. This is a cost which they feel they can make up with charging seniors more. When I go with my dad his concern is to catch is limit he will argue with me that it doesn't affect anything and I disagree but it isn't wort fighting over. I just tell him I will do with the fish I catch what I want and you can do what you want with the ones that you get. I know my dad isn't the only senior who works with idea. They come from the time frame where you need to provide for your family and fishing isn't as much a sport but more of a necessity to fed ones family. I would much rather CPR but that is the difference between him and I. I guess what is the alternative to keep raising the price of everyone elses fishing licenses instead of the senior or just make everyone pay them same. My dad just said this year oh well what do you do and he bought the one that everyone else gets it wasn't a big deal to him.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWALLEYES

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 03-31-2003).]

iffwalleyes had many good points. I know many seniors that plan on keeping a limit if they can. I know seniors that go out every day when a hot bite is on, and they take a lot of fish, so saying that they dont keep much is not true of all. And 17$ ? What is that? It is very little for a whole year, less than a tank of gas. Why do a lot of seniors drive those big cars that get 15mpg? Not all must be starving. What about the young newlyweds, with kids and diapers and doctor visits and daycare. Not all of them have money to throw to the wind either. I am totally onboard with the anti-gift. Take from those whom you think have money to give to someone that you think doesnt have money, just dont agree with that. I have listened to the legislature when they were discussing this years ago, and it comes down to money. NOT just the 17 bucks, but the state gets federal grant money also for every liscense they sell. I forget exactly how it works, but that is the gist of it. I am not well off, yet i would instantly go with any relative or friend that needed a liscense but would not buy one at the regular price. I took my grandpa fishing until he passed, and take my dad out when i can. The line mostly stops there though. Ask yourself, would it really make you feel better to pay double, so that a guy you see at the landing, with a new suburban, nice boat, big house, a cabin up north, 750000 in his 401k plan to fish for free? And know that a young guy in a beat up rusted chevy with a 14' rowboat, barely making the rent payment, is paying double for the "poor senior" in the suburban?

If you can't afford the license how can you afford to fish in the first place. Bait cost money as well as jigs and lures and all the other gear. I feel bad for people who can't afford it I really do but what is the cost increase like 10 bucks. Maybe they just have to avoid Perkins for the month. I'm sorry but I really don't see the big deal - so what it's gone. Several other states don't even offer one. I live in ND now and they don't have the option to get a senior license, so seniors can just be thankful that they had the option for a few years.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWALLEYES

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 04-01-2003).]

Okay, now that we have heard both sides the question remains, what are those of us going to do about it? How bout those of you involved with commercial clubs, jaycees, masons, shriners, knights of columbus etc see what you can do. I am going to go to church and see if there is anyway we can do something to help senior anglers. Remember, sure some seniors are wealthy, but would the wealthy ever forfeit their soc. security checks. Would they ever say, " our government is in tough shape I think I'll not file for a tax return." whether rich or poor all older workers deserve their social security checks, senior menu, parking spots at shopko. Remember, these people put up with all our crap when we were children and young adults. I believe that if we are part of a communtiy (fog horn) we should take care of our own! For those who think that it is ok to raise the cost of the fishing licenses, how bout this, let's pass a law that requires that all people must have a license regardless of age? About those seniors bagging their limit all the time, I believe the constitution protects the libertys of all americans! no matter how stupid their choices are. Keeping limits of fish or screaming for a stop to the war. Those things are our rights, agree or not with the practice or the execution of those rights, god help those who would try to take those rights away! Remember the golden rule, doesn't mean we will be rewarded for doing the right thing, unless you find reward in doing the right thing. I appreciate all the support and opposition my post has received, but I was hoping for more proactive responses.
Thank you all for reading and responding.
JCC

[This message has been edited by Blackstarluver (edited 04-01-2003).]

Dewnanobad. I dont know any of those well to do Elderly. Most of those I know are lucky if they can afford Perkins 1 time a month, twice if they get their taxes back! The point is I think the seniors have paid their dues and deserve a break, not free, even if they are doing better than most other seniors. As far as them keeping too many fish. They arent the ones we have to worry about!
Pike, thanks for the feedback and info!

By the way they drive the big car because they bought it in 1984 and cant afford a new one. They also drive it once a week to save $. At least most of the seniors I know. Yes there are a few that have the $ but I think thats the minority.
This is just my experience though.

Rather than revisit all the old arguments...(this topic went a couple pages in earlier posts...scroll down a ways..)...remember it was the legislature that made the change...we need to watch how the capitol handles our resources, and not angrily slam the barn door after the horses have run out....as for proactive response....by a license for your father/fatherinlaw/mother/motherinlaw/grandparents/neighbor/the old guy in front of you at the bait shop....just an idea...