• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fisherman, Fisherwoman, Fisherperson?

Blackstarluver

Ok just a simple question. Whenever I am at fishing events ( derbys etc.) the people who are announcing seem to get flustered when talking about persons who have caught fish, they seem to stammer on fisherman, woman, person. Wouldnt it be easier if the people engaged in icthyological pursuits be simply refered to as "angler"? It is not gender specific and covers all bases, age, gender etc. Just thought I'd put in my .02$
JC

thread was started on this in the Gals Luv to Fish Forum...check out "Welcome Fisherman" Let's keep this topic going...maybe we can make ANGLERS a universal term.

I personally don't care what you call me as long as you call me to go fishing. Fisher-man, woman, person, or angler all work for me. I have to agree with Dark and tjwierz2's comments. Some people are so wound up on "political correctness" that they forget to live and have fun. Sure there is a time and place for everything, but if your not sure of your audience then don't say anything. I am a "Lady" that is not offended by much, so go ahead and call it what you want, it won't bother me.

------------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

If it doesn't bother the rest of you...fine. But I am raising 3 sons on my own and using politically correct terminlogy shows respect for both men and women.

Not trying to stir up trouble....but most of the politically incorrect aren't trying to be disrespectful and most likely far from it. we just think that most of the PC terminology is hogwash. No longer should it be a manhole, but an equal opportunity sewer entrance? not woman but womyn? some of this stuff is ridiculous. I agree fisherman can be construed a un-pc...but is harmless. PC, Affirmitive Action, and all that stuff is BS when it boils down to the nitty gritty. AA is people looking for handouts for nothing and other people being afraid of frivilous lawsuits so they give in. people aren't accountable for their own actions anymore.

sorry a little rant...my boss pissed me off today early.

My wife fishes.....I call her an angler...always have. I call myself a fisherman. Calling a woman a fisherman doesn't seem to roll off the tongue very well for me, which is why I naturally make the distinction between the two.

I think there's some middle ground between calling everyone an angler and calling everyone a fisherman.

That having been said, Isaac Walton did write "The Compleat Angler" not "The Compleat Fisherman". So, there may be some historical precedence for the singular use of "angler" to describe one who fishes.

How's that for ridin' the fence? smile.gif

I really don't care what the term is as long as I am fishing and the term is used with respect. Being polite and friendly go a lot farther than politically correct names as far as I am concerned. I would much rather be called a fisherman by a nice friendly young man with manners than called an angler by some snotnosed kid or he man without a smile. As my husband says "call me anything but late for dinner".

------------------
Phyl

Hey Huskminn, For another historical perspective, The Bible is tanslated to say "Fishers of men" not "Anglers of men" smile.gif

I used the term "fishers" for a while and it just didn't seem right. I like Dark30's "mun"
But the biggest oppurtunity for growth in the outdoors market, are "womyn", and I will go with "Anglers" when ever I can remember to be politically correct, which isn't often. smile.gif

Well...Find me a woman, in "panties", to take fishing and I'll be a happier guy.

Company of a female in the boat always makes the days angling much better,

PCG

I think the term "Fisherman" is just fine the way it is. Pronunced fisher(mun), its kinda like "Mankind"...Women are included.

"Angler" works too but not because thats the politicly correct term...just a different word for the same thing.

So if a PETA person said..."Hey, here come a bunch of Fisherman" or "Hey, here comes a bunch of Anglers"....You still wouldn't know which ones were wearing Boxer Shorts and which ones were wearing Panties. shocked.gif

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

This political correctness stuff is ridiculous. Youre a "fisherman" if your a guy/gal or a big brown grizzly bear.

Ok this wasn't meant to be P.C. I was just trying to unify terms, heck in the navy a woman can be called mister, he-doublehockeysticks, my mother was a councilman in spicer for 17 yrs when people called her councilperson she'd say councilman will do. So I guess Mr. anti P.C. here was misunderstood, or just crazy!
Leave some for me too!
JC

I think the real issue here is getting some of these guys women to fish with. Many guys go fishing to get away from there wife...I look forward to the chances I get to spend on the lake with mine. Perhaps we could turn the website into a dating forum as well....or not. ;-)

Without a doubt, this type of discussion is spurred on by questions related to political correctness. Personally, I believe that the whole politically correct movement is a complete and total bunch of crap driven by people who have far too much time on their hands and who lack the insight to determine the difference between an unimportant and an important cause. Seriously... we have people starving, homeless, dying of AIDS, cancer, heart disease, issues of world peace, hate crimes, etc. and these people are spending their time, money, and energy fighting for issues related to semantics and gender. Talk about misguided! The same goes for those who fight for causes associated with PETA.
Those of us who use the term "fisherman" or "fishermen" as a universal term covering all who fish clearly don't mean any disrespect so I'd suggest to those who have a problem with those phrases to consider what's important and to get a life.

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest. I'll step down from my soap-box now.
Scoot

Ah, yes. Political correctness. As one who has never been accused of being politically correct in my life, I offer the following suggestions:

Fisherchick
Fisherbabe

Or, to be PC:

Fisherwymyn

In seriousness, I agree with the earlier post that there is no disrespect meant when the term 'fisherman' is used. Unless the 'Female engaged in angling activity' gets upset, I will use 'fisherman' to refer to her/them.

I sure am glad I didn't simply inquire, why?

Fishing was historically always done by men.....thus the name fisherman. The vast majority of latin derived words are masculine in gender because at the time they were created.......men ruled the world. grin.gif

Now we share the world.......and thus new words that are created reflect the nature of this change in our society.

What more do they want. They are trying to take away even the memories of the once male dominant civilizations on this earth...to brainwash us and the following generations into forgetting our history as dominators, conquerers and hunters.

I for one won't submit to their demands. I'm proud of the history of my gender and will fight to maintain its prominance in the english language.

Just my two cents.....

Wastewaterguru

by the way.......if any of you know my wife, don't tell her I posted this. grin.gif She's without question the dominant being in my house, but I submit by choice.......it occasionally has good perks.

------------------
-------------------------
BASS SEASON IS UPON US.
Here Piggy, Piggy, Piggy.

I like the Fisherchick and Fisherbabe, hehehe. I would have to agree with what Fishnphyl says, but like I said before I am not offened by much.

I agree let's just fish! However, I was reminded of this yesterday when at Fleet. I was at the counter and rang the buzzer for service (because the guy clerk had just walked by me and totally ignored me), two men were standing behind me looking around. The clerk walks up and immediately asks the men if he can help them and totally ignores me. What really ticks me off is that I have purchased many large items there and they still wait on the men first. Get a clue guys - if you are waiting on fishers, anglers whatever - pay attention to those fishingchicks because they are usually there to spend money! wink.gif ps the only reason I spend my money there is that it is the only store that is between my two jobs on Fridays when I am in Fargo. If there was another store out there it would get my business.

------------------
Phyl

It wouldn't be pretty! They would never agree on the spot, the lure, or worms, or minnows. And besides that who could tell who what to do because they would both know it all!!! I did impress the boys at Scheels on Sunday though. A nice guy asked me if I was finding what I needed and I said no and that I needed some Quik Nuts. (there is no way my husband was going to go ask for these - said it sounded kinky!) He found them for me and was really nice - didn't tell him I learned it all from you guys! grin.gif

------------------
Phyl

I agree with the WHO CARES JUST FISH. <><Mary><>

fishingphyl,

The best way to avoid this type of situations is simply go fishing with a male fisher person and just use his stuff. Can you just imagine, a fishing guy and a fishing-chick in one boat?

[This message has been edited by basshunter (edited 06-03-2002).]

fishingphyl,

It's good that they don't aggree on the spot. This way, they can practice each other special styles and techniques, and with a little bit of luck, the environment will create just the right amount of wave action. Now that would be fun, getting first hand experience from eachother, all day long, hopefully.

From my personal experiences, I would think there are more cons than pros to fishing with a member of the female gender.

1. Their hair or dress could get caught in the trolling motor.

2. Perfume or body oils, etc. will attract bugs......not fish.

3. The phrase "turn the boat into the wind...I gotta take a leak", doesn't apply.

4. Ladies typically have poor mechanical coordination and I hate untangling line and fixing broken gear.

5. I don't listen to "pop" music or "country" or "dance"........

6. You can tell a man "I don't want to talk.....just wanna fish." A man says that to a woman and she assumes you're dumping her and starts to cry.

7. There's no crying in fishing!!

grin.gifgrin.gif

Can you tell I have had some poor experiences fishing with women. This was a joke if you couldn't tell. It just so happened that the girls I liked to date weren't the "fishing" type. I gotta get out on the water with some of you ladies that know what you're doing. My wife qualifies under the "not the fishing type" statement.

------------------
BASS SEASON IS UPON US.
Here Piggy, Piggy, Piggy.

Hey wastewaterguru
I'll bet you just opened up a can of worms with the fishing chicks!
1 - I have short hair and hate dresses! But unlike my husband I wear shorts most of the time so it does not kill me to get my feet wet when he drives into shore too fast.

2 - I don't wear perfume because too many people are allergic to it. But I also hate cigarette smoke. So if you smoke I WILL wear perfume - just ask a friend of ours that smokes and is allergic to perfume.

3 - Okay I will give you this one - this is one thing that God really screwed up the women on. So, we have to go to shore once in awhile. Or you could buy us a boat with a potty on it.

4 - Where did you get this poor mechanical stuff? I am the one that untangles all the line on our boat. Not that I like doing it but I don't have to cuss and swear to get it done - at least not real bad.

5 - Well, I don't usually play music in the boat but country is the way to go. And I love to dance. It is like I tell the teenage boys - learn to dance. Because if you don't your girlfriend will find someone that does.

6 - the not talking is too funny. I am always catching heck because I answer him back too low and he can't hear. The concept of scarring the fish has not entered his mind yet.

7 - Who needs to cry? Unless of course you should lose your favorite Millennium Lure. No there are a lot better ways to get what you want besides crying.

So you see you married a nice lady that doesn't like to get dirty and fish. You probably would not be happy with one of us fishing chicks that smell like dead fish instead of Channel. grin.gif

------------------
Phyl

Wastewaterguru.... you're too funny! Fishnphyl I think you're right on opening the can of worms.

1. I too hate dresses and even though I do have long hair I know for a fact that it will not get caught in the trolling motor. If I am anywhere near it while it is running that would mean that I was in the water as well, and that's not gonna happen.

2. I also cannot stand perfume, I am allergic to it as well as smoke. I do attract the bugs though because of the hairspray, but the hubby doesn't care because then the bugs aren't bothering him.

3. Yes, we women might have to run ashore once and a while. I happen to have a bladder than can withstand an 8 hour tour without having to go. But, I have been known to use a coffee can when we were out on Mille Lacs (WHY?? Because, I guess).

4. No mechanical coordination?? RIGHT!!! rolleyes.gif The hubby makes a birds nest of his reel or wants to change lures, he says to me "Let me see your pole" and hands me his to fix. Sheesh. hehehe...but I shouldn't pick on him too much because he gets sea sick if he looks down any amount of time, plus he doesn't have the patience.

5. We don't usually have a radio on in the boat. Just so nice to get away and enjoy the surroundings. But, on the occasion that we do, it would most definitely be country.

6. The most talking you would usually hear from our boat is when I am yelling out depths. We have the fishfinder mounted towards the back of the boat and we switch spots so he can go up and run the trolling motor. I have him do the trolling motor so I can concetrate more on the fishing, hehehe. Or, you will hear us discussing on what spot we should go to next.

7. Likewise, no crying in this boat. Well, unless you count when he hands me his birds nest to untangle, hehehe.

So, this fishingchick will happily wipe the fish slime on her pants when she can, and I don't think the hubby minds it either.

------------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Political correctness=crap

But what PCG said applies here too. If any good looking girl wants to come fishing with me, she is welcome to. Actually I really don't cares is she even tries to fish. she is still welcome grin.gif

Ely lake expert