• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

walleyes on the big pond

Andy I don't know of any places on the south end. But on the east side a good place to slip bobber for walleyes is Agate Bay Reef. My dad and I did really good there last year. They bit all day if there is a little wind. All we used for bait was leeches and nightcrawlers. The minnows would get the nice perch though. Good Luck and Go Fish

Leeches will work just fine. Look for rocks in the five to eight foot range and try a slip bobber and a leech. Most of the good early season spots have markers on them. All of the rocks can produce on any given day. Fish the rocks with the most wind and biggest waves blowing accross them.

Super Ron

------------------
Ron Anlauf's Guide Service http://fishingminnesota.com/ranlauf/ Phone: 320-396-2133

Drift the sand in front of Fishers and Castaways during the day in about 18 feet of water using leeches on a lindy rig. Then about 2 hours before sunset anchor on Agate Reef and slip-bob, go about 3/4 out the reef and anchor off the northwest side in 16 feet. You will catch alot of perch at first and when they quit the walleyes will turn on. When drifting the sand try using a copper hammered one hook spinner with leech. Also try a red hook with green bead with a 6 to 8 foot snell. Monitor channel 10 for Fishers Resort and Channel 6 for Castaways. Keep an ear for what depth the hot bite is at and what color the locals are using. Most of us locals are more then willing to help out as we want you to come back and also tell alot of people what a great fishery Mille Lacs is. Good Luck!

Castaways Charters
Mille Lacs Lake
http://castawayscharters.com/
Phone: 1-320-684-2886

[This message has been edited by Lisa G (edited 05-06-2001).]

I have fished mille lacs a few times but I have never fished it for walleye. My dad and I will be fishing mille lacs starting may 20. Were should I look for concentrated walleye during the day and in late afternoon. Will leeches on slip bobbers work this early or should we stick with minnows. Will fat heads do the trick? Nightcrawlers?/to early? Where are some good places on the south end?
Any info would help. Thanks AJ

I was wondering if it's worth trying the big pond on the opener?? I have only ice fished this lake and not very much at that. Is it extremely hard to find an access?? I don't mind paying, but does everyone fill up at midnight?? I would like to come up early in the morning, since I don't know the lake that well. Is it just wishful thinking on my part that I'll find a place to dock at 6am??

[This message has been edited by waterfowler (edited 05-04-2001).]

Waterfowler, It is wise to pay the $8 to launch at Castaway's as the public landings are not all that great and I know guys that have done hundreds of dollars damage to save 8 bucks. Big George will monitor the launch and assist to move boats quickly. I guide out of Castaways and "hang-out" there. You will find good food there. You won't burn much gas as the the bite is usually very hot right in front in 16 to 18 feet drifting on opener. Yes, it will be very busy but if everyone has patience and work together they can get boats in quickly. I have heard many locals say that the sand has too many boats but it may look like that from shore but once you get on the water there is alot of room. It is a hop skip and jump to the Carlson's humps and in front of the culvert. I will guide 6 people and rigged something different on everyone's line before they get there, then if someone is producing I switch everyone to the hot colored hook. Last year the orange Gamagatzu with a green bead produced many over 28's for me. I live on the lake and tonight the lake is georgous, flat with no drift. Hope for a drift on opening morning! I love a fast drift and do not throw a driftsock. Keep adjusting till you score, don't stay with it if you are not catching them. The key is to make alot of adjustments till you yank the eyes out of em' Good luck and see you at formica flat! You can e-mail me at [email protected]

[This message has been edited by muskieman (edited 05-04-2001).]

One little tid-bit when slip bobbering. One night I was sitting on Flamingo and my clients were the only people catching fish. All my buddies called on the radio asking what jig or colored hook I was using.I told them. They used the same jig. They couldn't catch one. It was driving them crazy. We were hammering them. When we got back to the docks I gave them my secret....... They aren't always a foot off the bottom. They were suspended. When guiding I have the advantage as 8 lines have different jigs and different depths! Visit me at castawayscharters.com

[This message has been edited by muskieman (edited 05-04-2001).]

Will the walleyes be on the rocks at Indian Point? or other areas near wigwam or cove bay? these areas have been the only areas of the lake that I have been on. Are there areas of the lake that have dangerous spots or are all the dangerous spots/rocks marked? What areas should I avoid after dark on the south end. Thanks AJ

Will the the landings be as busy the week starting may 20 as they will be the opening week. Will will be staying at a hotel and will have to launch the boat a few time a day. I don't think my dad and I would be to thrilled about paying $8 a crack just to launch a boat.

Andy J- Once you launch you can keep your boat in a slip. I can't give any advice on the southend. Walleyes bite better early in the year in the sand. No snags, you can drift for hours and if your rod tip moves it usually is a fish. I highly recommend that you launch at Fishers, Castaways or Barnacle Bills as you you have no hazards at night. If you want rocks you can achor on Agate Bay Reef or Flamingo. There is also a hot rock pile just to the south of Fishers. It is about 12 to 14 feet deep. I would recommend drifting in the daytime and slip-bobbering the evening. We have a night ban on May 20th so you must be off the lake at 10PM. Last year the walleyes turned on at 9:30 so have back-up rods ready in case you tangle. You don't want to be out of the water at prime time. Good luck! Visit me at Castawayscharters.com

[This message has been edited by muskieman (edited 05-06-2001).]

What is a slip and how long can we keep the boat there just during the day or overnight too?

Hey muskieman,
Thanks for all the info. I've decided on HJ's since some other friends are going to be there. I think you sharing this info is great and I commend you being so forth-coming to all of us strangers. Hopefully I can meet you sometime.

Waterfowler, hope to meet you to. The bite moves around alot in the sand so if you ever need some info, just let me know. I live on the lake and we have a nice drift tonight. Outdoor news is coming this week-end so I hope I can put Eric on alot of eyes. Good luck!

------------------
castawayscharters.com