• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

how to catch muskies

I know I'm jumping ahead here, but I wondering how you catch muskies on this lake. I've been hearing about the great muskie bite, so I'd like to give it a try this season. Do you pretty much look for cabbage? Any shallow structure? Any one part of the lake best?

I am no expert but I also am getting into Muskie fishing, I have found some valuable info(I think) from webpages I came across through Yahoo. Go under the outdoors category then the fishing category, there you will find a Muskie section There is 17 websites. I found 3 or 4 of them with some good info, but I guess I will not really know how good the information is until I try it out for myself. I am sure you will also receive some good advice from tipsters at this forum. Good Luck ~TJ~

When I fish Mille Lacs for Muskies I usually Bring an assortment of baits with. Two of my favorites for this lake are a black Bucktail and a silver Suick. I usually focus on the southern bays. Twin bays, Isle, Wakhon, Cove, and Vineland. All of these bays have nice cabbage. I usually just cast for Muskies but when I am fishing these bays I see a lot of people bobber fishing with sucker minnows. That method may be worth a try also.

I haven't fished Mille Lacs heavily for Muskies, but early on look for shallow, warm water areas....bays! As you hit July, start locating rock points that are adjacent to deep water. Work these. As the water continues to warm,(new technique to me) locate schools of bait fish suspended off these structures(ciscoes) and cast if shallow, or troll by these schools. BIG fish will be near.

A great way to fish musky's on mille lacs is to speed troll. Use a 7-8 foot fiberglass heavy action rod spooled with 50 pound mono. Use a buck-tail or the biggest spinner bait you can find. Have one persons bait out about 100 feet and the other persons bait just behind the prop wash. The key thing is your speed. You want to maintain a speed of about 5-6 mph. You cover lots of water and it triggers strikes. I put the rod on the right side of my knee so your arms dont get sore and it helps to absorb the shock when you get hit. as soon as hook into one, gradually stop the motor the fish will usually jump out of the water and its critical to keep the line tight. I have been doing this method for over twenty years and most of my fish over 50 inches come from speed trolling. It works the best in cabbage or on weedlines. Good Luck