• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Current Conditions & Info

Am considering giving the lake one last shot for the season. What are the current ice/snow conditions? My mode of transport would be a 4x4 ATV.

Any suggestions as to the patterns of the perch towards last ice and where to start hunting them?

Thanks in advance.

Grant

As soon as it warms up again things will get pretty sloppy. You may need a snowmobile to get around. The fish are going on the deep gravel, and are showing up on shallower rocky bars. Another pattern is in deeper water, out in the middle of no where. You have to drill a lot of holes and keep moving to find them.

Super Ron

------------------
Ron Anlauf's Guide Service http://fishingminnesota.com/ranlauf/ Phone: 320-396-2133

As of this afternoon, the ice is still a good 3 feet thick and there is an average of 10 - 15 inches of snow on top.

It has been cloudy and drizzly all day today. It's melting, but it will take some time.

Thank you, Lisa. I may just wait until next week to come up. 15 inches of white stuff will not allow my machine proper travel. I'll check back with you and keep an eye on the local weather.

Here's some more current info:

I just got off the phone with Gustie Brandt from Brandt's.

She said their road is in good shape. Her son went out on a 4-wheeler and didn't have any problems getting around. She said the road goes out 5 miles.

She recommends a 4 wheel drive vehicle and looks forward to seeing you.

Planning on getting to the big pond for some piggy perch this weekend. Can some one keep me posted on the conditions as the weekend approaches.
We will be fishing out of Brandts if we can.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds excellent! I hope the rain we are suppose to get this week doesn't do too much damage! Would like to get out at least once before the shore lines break down! With high 50's and rain it could break them down fast!

Thanks, and I will wait and see what the weekend will hold!

I was out of Brandts last Sunday and I would classify the roads as poor at best. The fishng was great though. I saw a few 4 wheel drive trucks really having a tough time with the ruts and slush. The ice is finally starting to deteriorate and vary thickness, although you may still find places where you need and extension.
I am looking for a place where I can walk out from shore and fish. Any Ideas? I don't want to get off of this hot bite.
Thanks
Paul

I took my weekly road trip around the area today and only observed a handful of anglers. There were about 10 vehicles out from HJ's Lakeside. I didn't see anybody out from Liberty. Dickie had a few driving out to the flats. Nobody in Isle Bay. Walleye Dundee's road had a few 4-wheelers out in Wahkon Bay. Nobody in Cove Bay.

I observed anglers walking out from the Cedar Creek access by Karpen's. They had portable houses. The perch bite is really great in that area late season. A pickup truck was parked in the lot, so it has melted down enough to get in there.

Yesterday my Mom observed several anglers that were on foot on the west side of the lake. They were fishing in areas north of Shore Acres, in front of Eddy's and across from the Econo Lodge. Vehicles park along the service road and pull out their gear.

It was hard not to walk out today, myself! The sun is shining and it's beautiful! There was a mink in the road access at HJ's. It was sunning itself on a rock.

Grant, actually I just checked the forecast for Isle and they are forecasting rain from now until Sunday. We might just have to bring a canoe to get out on the ice now!

Now hold on there, Grant in WI, it hasn't started to rain yet and the ice is still where it was yesterday.

Before you count your chickens, wait until I speak to Jerry Brandt for the latest news. I'll post the latest as soon as I get off the phone with him tomorrow.

With my schedule and the forecast, it may not be until Saturday before I can get there now. They are forecasting rain through Friday with relatively warm temps. Would be able to fish through Monday, but the landings might be gone by Saturday.

Will watch this board for access reports.

Thanks!

Grant in WI

Jerry Brandt has closed his road to vehicle traffic but it is open for ATV's and snowmobiles.

It has been raining off and on all day today. The snow piles are going down, but the ice is still there!!

Whatever you decide to do, be safe and have fun!

Lisa, planning on coming up in the morning for a go at the perch. We are going to bring the ATV, will we have any problems getting on at Brandts now that this storm has passed?

Thanks for you help!

Sorry I wasn't available to reply to your post sooner, but I've been busy helping my mom get water out of her basement. We had quite a thunderstorm Friday night and the water is just now starting to subside.

I hope you made it out and found some jumbos!! If you made it, please let us know how you did.

Lisa, we did end up coming up. And we did notice all the rain along our drive as well! We had a lot in the cities too, but I don't think nearly as much as you. Anyhow, we made it up around 11am, launched out of Brandt's with the ATV, the landing is in bad shape, it won't be much more than a couple of days and it will be unaccessable. We fished out at Jordan hole for about 40 min, and nothing, moved in to Mile & quarter fished for and couple of hours, lots of bites but just small fish, and one keeper. Than we moved in closer to shore to a bit of structure in 16-18' and caught tons of small little ones, but we still couldn't find the big ones. It was nice to get out for one last time, even though there is going to be ice for a very long time, I am afraid access to that ice is going to be tough. Thanks for your help, hope you heard some good reports from this weekend. Here is to looking forward to open water & no ice damage when the ice decides to roll off the lake!

Thanks