• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Red river get together?

Oops! Life has changed a bit recently... don't think we'll make it for the catfishin'...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick

• Sarge

• Scoot

• fiskyknut

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can get this thing to fly. Very informal deal, just a catfishermans get together with a basic fish for fun type deal.

I am thinking MB Johnson Park would work best for a central point to start from or Lindenwood Park if camping is the issue. There is no camping at MB Johnson unfortunatly.

If the river conditions as very low we may need to consider the South landing at Convent park off 52nd st S in Fargo.

I would still like to hear a roll call on who and how many plan to show up on the 31st.

Thanks,

Ed

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm hoping to make it. Can I stay at your place Ed?

Just in case I need to sleep.

Frogs for a bed?I'm not as quick as i used to be but I will do my best!
Thanks Ed.

[This message has been edited by fishhead (edited 08-21-2002).]

Heck with the frogs, I'm using steak! Maybe there will be some extra to throw on the grill!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Boat in tow ready to go - no problem finding Fargo but would like better directions to MB Johnson Park etc. Is a MN lic or ND lic requied for this event? Overnight options?

Thanks - BB-LDF

ND or MN liscense work on the Red River. MB Johnson Park is on North 11th Street in Moorhead MN, just North of the beet plant. Do a search for the Fargo wed site or the Moorhead site and you will get a map of the parks and stuff in the area.

Eh...Dark30...steaks will work too!

smile.gif Fire up da smoker Eh!

Ed

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

I'm bringing my gal with also, she likes to fish but has never tangled with a big cat. She's going to love this.

So what time are we gonna meet on the 31st?

Hey Ed, looks like you opened up a can of worms here. I would also like to know how many are coming but I guess it doesen't make much differerence as long as we have a good time. I'd like to help but as you know my legs are bad so not too much help.

I can bring some potluck tho. Like potaoe salad or and including baked beans.

Fred

Backwater; If things work out for us the wife and I and of course Bud (Our fish detecting dog lol) will be trying to make it. Did not see any time set for meeting and are we meeting at MB Johnson park. Hope to see ya all this week-end

Catfish1

Despite my best efforts I can't get my wife to ditch the family over the long weekend. This dang thing is happening in my backyard and I can't even make it to it. We're heading up to LOW for the weekend and I'm quite PO'd that I won't be able to come.
I'd really like to meet some of the guys and gals who'll make it.
Have a blast, gang. I hope the weather cooperates and it's as much fun as I'd imagine it to be.
Scoot

Well gang I am easy, what time sounds good to you all? We can meet up and decide what next and where we need to spread out to to fish. Conditions may dictate were we ned to meet on Saterday?

Like I said, very informal deal, just a wing it and have fun type deal.

I will check the ramp conditions at MB Johnson park on Monday and the conditions at the other in city ramps. The river is at it's normal low range for this time of year and no matter what caution is a very good plan.

Many shore fishing areas are also avalable and some may be the best bet going so don't feel if your not pulling a boat you will be out of the fun.

I have a kinda crazy week tell Friday so I may not be on the board tell late at night.

Feel free to post any questions and I will try to get you what you need for info.

Ed

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

I'm heading to Lake Miltona early tuesday, and won't be back online till next week, but I'll see you guys the 31st, what ever time or place is picked.

I even splurged and hired Eddy to show me the secrets of the Red, before we get together, that way I can keep up with you all.

Unless the Red jumps up fast the North section by MB Johnson Park is not going to good for larger boats. Smaller rigs can get in and be able to work the river but larger rigs will have troubles.

We may need to meet there and or another area and look to the South at Convent Landing off 52 st S to fish. This section is much better suited for larger rigs at this time.

The fishing to the South has been good so no matter what we can get a plan together.

Ed

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Thanks Fishhead, Dark30, Bayou Bill, Sarge & his hardcore fishing gall friend for joining me on the 1st annual unofficial Red River Frog stomp’r Catfish festival.

We caught some nice cats and Fishhead caught a very nice walleye, all had a good time.

Although I was feeling kinda punk from a medical complication everyone kept me on the right track and helped out in a big way.

Dark30 & Fishhead are my official favorite cooks, good grub boys!

Lets try to do it again next year and I will try to get a central camp site set up somewhere where we all can get around a smart fire.

Thanks gang for helping me celebrate my B-Day!

smile.gif

Ed Carlson

------------------

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

Had a great time! My long lost art of "Free Style Frog Grabbing" came back to me in a hurry! The Catfishing was a little slow for fishhead and I but all in all great fun! We found out first hand what Walleyes think about frogs too!...Nice one Fishhead! I would say the upcoming Walleye bite on the Red would be something to plan for.

I'm glad Capt. BayouBill got to hit the river with Ed and catch some nice ones!

I'm already thinking about next years annual "Frog Hop"!

WET NETS! eatit.gif

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Yupper - it was a hoot there on the Red with Ed and others. Happy to help out a few of those Red River cats that wanted a free-ride to Northern Wisconsin, always willing to help. As a bonus they'll get a dip in the hot-tub ,,, little do they know the hot tub is a Fry-Daddy huummmmm LOL Released the larger cats as did Sarge and company the day before. Just how big was that 'eye? Heard it was a 'reel' big one.

Great trip, great folks, great learning experience - "frogs" are the real deal and the Eddy Slice for filleting cats - simply the best ... thank you for sharing of your time and knowledge. It's nice being a "oldie" I can sit riverside and watch the younger ones float by ... some are swimming up stream but we all have.

Ed, continue to enjoy your B'day weekend and may you have many more great days on and off the water.

I'll send the pictures I took to Paul he may post some within the site ... I'll also shoot them to your home e-mail and you can pick and choose at will - there's only about 12 or so.

Thanks again - Remember seize the moment and tight-lines <"))><

BB-LDF

note - Sarge, do you have a CD drive on your 'puter? If so, when you take that camera in to develop the pic's request a CD [couple extra $$'s] also that way you can e-mail all the pic's you want. E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you my 'snail-mail' addy :^)

Thanks Ed! It was fun for Leah and I to exprience new waters with a pro like you. And its gonna take some doing for her to top her first channel cat, a nice 30" piggy.

Its like a party any time you can get together with Bayou Bill, Fishead, or Dark 30, good conversation, and great guys.

Bill thanks for the cat catalog, and I'm not exactly sure what you told Leah about Vita Del Mar, but she was looking it up on the net, dreaming about her winter vacation. smile.gif I will do the CD thing, I did it by mistake last year, but was glad I did, it sure is nice.

Looking forward to next year on the Red with Ed and company.

I had a great time!Time spent on the river is time well spent.Caught a few cats and walleye and tons of frogs!I even learned a new dance the "frog stomp".It was a blast acting like I was 10 years old again.Heck I think that may have set my bio clock back a few years!
It was good see every one,Sarge,Leah(I hope the name is right,It could get Sarge in big trouble),and BayouBill.
Thanks Ed for hosting and especially for the hospitality.
I am looking forward to next years frog stomp'n catfishin festival!

Sarge - good to meet up with you again also and Leah too - she sure seemed to enjoy the event. I've been trying to send you some cyber-mail but it keeps coming back to me,,, do you have a new or different addy? Shoot me a msg at [email protected] when you have time.

Vida del Mar - Leah and I were talking about the weather there in the winter months (our winter months)and different things to do in the Manzanillo, MX area. Maybe she wants to go for sail or marlin next .... no fish as powerful as a tuna however - pure muscle.

Going for salmon tomorrow ... till next go round remember To seize the moments and tight-lines <"))><.

BB-LDF

Good luck on the salmon, wish I was there to go with you!! My email is fixed now, I missed a (.). Dern picky computers!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hi Ed,
I plan on being there with Dark30 & Dennis.

• 2 weeks later...