• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

deer hunting rifles

cd3

im in the market for a new//or used rifle,and have been looking at remington or browning auto 30-06.everytime i ask some1 about them they say, why do u want an auto,, even tho they shoot with 1,before i invest in 1 i thought id get some more info on auto rifles, can any1 help me out.

I have a Rem. 308 semi-auto and I love it, I also have a Marlin 30-30 that my son shoots, a 7mm mag, a 300 Savage model 99E lever. I like them all for certain hunting situations.

Ole

Poeple who hunt with auto loaders get a "hack-hunter" reputation, right or wrong. Some folks ordain themselves an extra measure of virtue with "one shot-one kill" type stuff. I have seen plenty of folks bang away with three careless, poorly placed shots, because they could. Each one missed. One well placed shot will always do the job, but reduced recoil, and a chance at a second shot on a runner are nice, I suppose.

If you have your heart set on an semi-auto, that's fine. I hunted with a Remington 742 30-06 for 20 years, and shot a lot of deer with it.

In 1998, I got bitten with the elk bug, and invested in a gun with a bit more power. I moved up to a Savage 111 bolt in .338 win mag.

I tried to go back to my -06 for deer, but I can't stand the lousy trigger on that thing any longer. It felt like I was dragging it through a sandbox.

Now I just use the .338 on everything. I find that I do not really give up that much in second shot quickness, and my first shot is much bettre than with my old semi.

I run a BAR (Browning) .308 and absolutely wouldn't trade for anything. It has never jammed even though I rarely have a need for a second shot. Make the first one count!

I have had and shot a few and some were great while some were really a pain in the rear. My BAR was great but my 7400 was a real mule. Ended up getting rid of all my semi auto with exception of an .o6 and my .22s. I will take a bolt anyday but that is just me. I shoot one time and either get my game or it is gone. I have no need for anything else. It is all a personal choice. I feel that semi-automatic rifles are less accurate than other actions and are more dangerous. On the other hand, there is less recoil making them nice to shoot. Whatever your decision, good luck!

cd3,
No I've never had my .308 jam. As someone said earlier, some people rap off every round in the magazine when shooting at a deer, I haven't had that problem. I practice and choose my shots, I haven't needed an extra shot with this rifle.

Ole

I have a 7400 Remington .06. It jammed once on me, but then again when you "force" an extra shell in the clip, unknowningly, & then put one in the chamber, what could I expect? The gun smith had to take care of that, fortunately I did it sighting it in & not hunting.

Personally I would like the auto for running deer or multiple deer, most likely on a drive, but haven't needed it. I've shot at 2 deer with it, I mostly bow & slug hunt, & both were killed with the first shot. I didn't know for sure where I'd hit one of them, so got off a second shot as it ran off, but I missed anyway.

good info thanks all. heres my situation so you all can maybe understand why im looking at a 30-06 auto, i now hunt witha rem 270 bolt action,,which is nice for that long shot from the stand early or late in the day, but i frequently will roam the woods during the day.and in the brush that 270 bolt action just isnt the right rifle.the wide range of calibers the -06 takes makes it appealing to me for the woods.the auto because in the brush, you dont alays have that extra second to reload.

cd3 -- I hunt the thick woods in norhern MN, and when I hunt in my stand I like my bolt action scoped high power rifles. But when I'm still hunting or moving through the woods I like a pump or semi-auto slug gun with a short barrel. Just something for you to consider. Good luck.

Same situation, I hunt in zone 1 and have a 270 bolt for the stand and a 30-30 lever for "still hunting" or when we're on a drive.

The more that I read, the more that I see Autos recommended for whitetail hunting in the woods. Also, fixed power 4X scopes are suggested.

I've always shot pumps and wanted a bolt. I just bought a T3 270 WSM with a 2X-7X scope.

I'm ready for hunting season!

[This message has been edited by BigDaddy (edited 09-10-2004).]

My 30-06 is a remington model 6 (pump action)with the monte carlo stock. This gun is unbelievably accurate. My average shot is 150-200 yards, but my best was 400 yards. Of course, the most important thing to do is hit the range WAY before deer opener and site the rifle scope in, and practice shooting for precision. Out of 30 years of deer/antelope/bear hunting, I've only lost 2 that got away on me due to scope malfunction on one, and a small branch deflection on the other.

I'd recommend a Browning A-bolt 270 WSM using 130 grain winchester short mag shells! Packs a punch and don't confuse this with the regular 270's... This is a different setup, go talk to a gun dealer and ask them about the short mags.

I've also hunted with the semi-auto Remmington 742(30 06) for over 20 years, using a 150 gr. shell. Iv'e never had a workmanship problem or even a jam with it. I love the thing.

I only have a synthetic stock on my shotgun, but I don't intend to buy another wood stock on any gun or rifle, barring a great deal. I like not having to worry about getting the stock wet or scratching it on brush, plus I think they look really cool. There's wood trim in my house & wood all over the forest, it doesn't have to be on my gun.

considering what we put these rifles thru during hunting season,it seems like a good thing not only for duck, but deer hunting as well,i suppose a smalll drawback being that is lighter that it probably kicks a bit more.

In my opinion (not that it is worth much) If you are going to hold onto this rifle for a long time I would opt for the bolt action. I have an old Winchester model 100 .308 semi and it has become finicky in the ammo it wants. The gun will jam if i put in ammo not is not Winchester.(Had it happen looking at would have been the second biggest deer i would have ever taken) I cannot use any other ammo in the gun.(it is a great gun and i have taken alot of deer with it still use it) But a pain if you dont bring enough and need to borrow. Plus I have a Savage 110 .06 in bolt action and it is simple to clean and mantain two screws and you can clean anything on the gun. Now on the 308 if it get gunk in it or too much oil and freeze in cold weather(like Nov) i would not want to take that thing apart in the feild. I would go with the bolt just for the ease of mantainence and knowing how picky semi-auto guns can get as they age.Practice enough and you CAN get a 2nd shot with a bolt. So i would take the follow-up shot out of the equation. The choice is up to you. I hope i did not offend anyone on either side of the debate here.

doesnt offend me at all. i get alot of good information here as opposed to stores,although if you get there attention the people at reeds in walker are great.

I think the synthetic stocks on Browning A-bolts with palm swells are sweet.
As soon as I get the time, I'm going to check out a stainless, synthetic Browning A-bolt in 25wssm. SWEET!
Check out the BAR ShortTrac or the Benelli R1. Only if you don't want to spend the money, look at the Remington.

yea looks nice, i dont think i can afford it tho..looking at browning tho, what is a bar lwt 338 w/sgt,, too many initials.

ive been looking at that -06 pump,,pretty decent rifle for the money...anyways yes its time to get all this in order and get out and check the trails and hopefully sight in that new rifle that i hope to have my opener.

Redball. heres an explanation.
The BOSS (Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System) is an accuracy enhancing and recoil reducing system that includes an adjustable muzzle brake/weight . . . BOSS is an option available on the Safari and Stalker models only.

I don't see how a -06 is going to gain you anything over a 270 in the woods, unless you are just trying to come up with an excuse for the wife to get a new rifle. I don't like walking through the woods with a brand new gun, because of the rough terrain as I walk through the woods. The gun gets more abuse in the woods vs sitting in the tree stand. When I use to help drive the deer out, I carried a 30-30. Killed many a deer with it. They are cheap, light and a dime a dozen. They work great for those short shots in the woods. Mine only had open sights, but you can put on over/under sights with a 4x scope.

I hunt with a Browning BAR 243 semi-auto, and love it. Never had a problem with the auto. My dads remmington auto jammed, because he had a piece get old and fail on him. The gun was about 25 years old.