• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

binocs

simplefish

I am in the market for a new pair of binoculars. I was just wondering if anyone had a favorite or a suggestion on which ones to check out. I will use them mostly for bowhunting, so an 8x32 should be fine, but I was also thinking of a 10x42. Within the range of $150 or less would be great. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
-Mike

In my opinion, you can NOT go wrong with Nikon optics. They have great glass and work well in low light conditions. They certainly are not the best on the market but you get the most bang for your buck in my opinion. Another brand to check out is Kahls (sp?). Fantastic glass and upper end binocs but they are a little more expensive....I believe the optics (glass) are made by Swarovski. If you want the best on the market, look at Zeiss (sp?) or Swarovski...they will be out of your price range however. Good luck!

Simplefish,

the words above are well spoken. Kahles is made by Swarovski and the price isn't a whole lot diff't than Swarovski's pricing. Both are excellent glasses. Again, Zeiss is another great pair, especially in their 10x40's.
I've been using Swarovski's for about 10 years, now and don't think I'll ever have another pair. The reason I mention this is that I wholeheartedly believe you should save a little longer and buy something w/real quality optics. Buy once, cry once. Buy twice, cry twice as the saying goes.
However, if that isn't in the cards the Nikon and Pentax both make a glass in the price range you're talking.
And if you really want to save some coins, and I'm almost hesitant to mention this for fear of being heckled to death, is a pair of Barska glasses. I looked through a pair of them and don't know if it was just that particular pair or if all of them are like that, but they were really bright and clear for a $60 pair of glasses. I don't know how they hold up as far as staying in alignment but for a roof prism binocular, I was quite impressed.
Best of luck in your search and hope you find just what you want.

I have a pair of Brunton Eterna and really enjoy using them. They are 8x25, fit in my pocket, have a setting to view through them with or without glasses(really nice for wearing shades), and are rubber coated to take a beating. They also have a lifetime warranty.
Redhooks

Pentax makes some good one's too. I have the Pentax 10x42 DCF-HR and love it. They're not outrageously priced either.

Not sure what the diff is between Swarovski's/Zeiss and the mid-range binoculars are but I just can't see the return on the investment over the mid-range glasses. Are they really that much better or are we splitting hairs at that point and not getting much in return?

[This message has been edited by gspman (edited 08-13-2004).]

I've been using a pair of 8x30 Steiners for a few years, and really like the quality of their lenses. The Germans don't know how to make a bad lense. One feature I like on mine is the permanent focus. Once you adjust them to your eyes, they are in focus from 20 yards to infinity. No messing with adjustment knobs every time you look at a different distance. They cost about two hundred. Good glass for the bucks.

I'll second the Steiners. I've got a pair of 8x30's and only regret not buying them sooner. I played the $40-$60 binos game for years and after buying a new pair every year, guess what... I coulda bought a pair of Steiners. FYI on the 10x42's. I've tried to use a pair of them bowhunting and a lot of the time they are too powerful to zero in on your quarry through the brush and they are also harder to hold still.
-Creek Kid

I have a set of Pentax and I'm very impressed with the price... I have the 8x and Cootz picked up the 10x both are bright and clear and for the money I think you'd have a hard time beating them.

I had some nice Bushnell binos for years. Some cheaper ones too. My dad works for Ziess and got me a nice set last year.. You CAN easily tell the difference. The low light is crystal clear. The set I have i've seen for around $3-400. I have seen the same price posted for a lot of range finders. I guess I would rather pay that much for some binos than a range finder though I will have a range finder someday!! Love my Ziess binos.