• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Time to build some Woodduck boxes!!

Mark Christianson

I posted this in the Waterfowl area, but figured it can't hurt to put it in here to get some exposure............

Here we are. Middle of winter.
Time to put some energy into getting some Woodduck boxes and nest platforms built up and ready for spring!
Here is a link to a great plan for woodduck boxes:
http://www.startribune.com/style/news/newsgraphics/files/4114370.pdf
(Moderators, I am not advertising, just providing a plan for people to use)
Here is a link for Nest Tubes:
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/tools/ndblinds/henhouse.htm

If you don't have the tools to make your own, pitch in a few bucks with your duck hunting buddies, and see if you can buy a couple to put up for the ducks.

biglakebass, any thoughts on placement of the hen houses? I've built several and have either had the ice take them out or had no occupancy.

As for the woodduck houses, I'd encourage people to put them on seperate poles with coon guards on them. It seems like every duck house that I put out in the woods up in trees gets raided by coons or squirels. Last year I found a coon that had enlarged a wood duck house entrance and was sleepin in it! He stayed their until I came back with my .22 Put up coon guards!!

This will actually be my first attempt at the hen houses. I am going to focus on some of the smaller pots, or tight corners, so the ice hopefully won't take them out.

I have had some squirrels use them, but not only a couple times. I have lost a few ducks to predators as well. I found duck parts on the ground. Whatever got her, snacked right on top of the house.

[This message has been edited by biglakeba$$ (edited 01-20-2004).]

I've had good luck getting out there right before the ice in a wetland won't carry you and use that dull ice auger blade to drill through. Pound an old well pipe down into the muck until it is stable and place your house on top of that. Having it out over the water will stop the squirly problems and reduce the coon problems as well. You can still place a coon guard on the pipe to make sure.

WW

I would like to do this as well, where all do wooducks nest? I have a cabin on a lake near grand rapids, but I don't see wood ducks there, is this because there is no nesting habitat, or they aren't around?

Goldeneyes and Mergansers will nest in Woodduck houses. I would imagine you are close to areas that may see some of those birds.
Not real sure on the woodduck populations in your area.
Although, build a few, and hang them up. You may be surprised at who shows up looking for a new home.....