• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Squirrel Hunting.

Cpt. Fish

I was out looking for some squirrels this morning. I went out at about 8am and packed up around 10am. I did not see one tree rat the entire time I was out there. Is it getting a little late for squirrels or what? Also, what is the best time of day to hunt these furry little buggers this time of year?

i quit hunting them; but while hunting deer with this cold they don't come out til 9 or so in the mornings. they like to sleep til the sun comes out and starts warming things up some. del

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to go squirrel hunting with you. Jan and Feb are suppose to be good for squirrel hunting. I've done alot of squirrel hunting in the past. Email me with your #

Like they said they like it warm out. The best days are right after we get a cold spell then it warms up a bit. Edges of woods right next to a corn or sunflower field are great spots. It takes a while for then to forget your there to so sit quietly for half hour or so in a likely spot. During deer hunting i sat in my stand and they would come by just like the deer would. Look for a lot of tracks in the snow and sit and wait.

• 4 weeks later...

Fox and gray squirrels have a limit of 7 combined per day. I've always found it interesting that the rabbit/hare limit is 10 per day.
Red Squirrels have no limit, but coming from my expereinces as a kid, dont bother, they taste like crap!" smile.gif