• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Update

As of Wednesday, there is a layer of ice from shore to shore. (Finally!!)

Low temps the past few days have made some good ice. High winds on Monday blew most of the snow off of the lake and formed a ridge out from Big Point. Once you get out a few feet from shore, the ice is pretty smooth.

The southeast portion of the lake has between 8 - 10 inches; Flagship reports 4 inches; Fisher's resort has 5 inches. (As always, be careful out there!)

If the low temps continue, we should have some quality ice for Christmas. 'Tis the season!!

I took a road-trip around the lake today and gathered the following info for you all:

No cars were out yet, but there were a few ATV's in the bays on the south half of the lake.

In front of Brandt's, there were 2 anglers heading out with their portable. They reported ice from 4 to 8 inches, depending how close to shore you are. (Monday's high wind blew the ice right in to this location.) They had been out yesterday and reported 3 - 4 inches out past the rough stuff. Today they were going to try Sloppy Joe's, if they could get there safely. The ice is very rough in front of Brandt's and Izaty's. Jerry was breaking off the really rough stuff with his tractor to prepare his approach.

Cove Bay had the most houses. (I didn't count, but there were lots of them.) Again, anglers walked out or drove ATV's.

In front of Rocky Reef, there is about 4 inches. It just froze up this week.

Out from Eddy's there is 8" or more in close, but gets thinner the farther out you go.

There were a couple anglers out on foot on the West side. In front of Twin Pines were several portables and one ATV.

There were 2 anglers out from the Garrison access and 2 more out from the Myr Mar access, all were on foot. Garrison Harbor and Phil's Myr Mar has between 6 - 10 inches.

Fisher's Resort has 7+ inches.

Liberty Beach has 7 inches. There were several anglers out from Liberty today. (One of the houses was a big one.)

Mac's Twin Bay reports 9 inches out to Hawkbill.

Scenic Bay Resort reports 8 - 13 inches. Lots of anglers have been setting up portables in Isle Bay. Mostly on foot, but I have seen a couple ATV's.

Be safe!! and Good fishing!!

i was out on myr mar all day til 7:00p.m.
The ice is only 4 inches thick there, and for the fish they were not biting there oh i seen alot of pearch and walleyes but they would swim up too bait bsmell swim around it 2 or 3 times and then swim away. try again sunday or monday

I made another loop around the lake today from Isle to Garrison and back down the east side. LOTS of portables out there. Most were on foot or used ATV's.

Coming back home into Isle, the first sight I saw was Scenic Bay's yellow & black truck plowing their road out from Isle Bay.

Get ready, here we come!!

Today, a few resorts along the west and southeast side are pulling houses out!

The ice has gotten thicker every day due to the cold temps. We should be able to get out almost anywhere before Christmas.

A crack formed along the East side yesterday from Karpen's to past Agate Bay, but should heal soon if it stays cold.

South End Update:

Dickie'sPortside road now goes out over 8 miles. With a good 14 inches of ice, you can get to Hennepin Island and the gravel. Dickie says the walleye are biting on the gravel in 24 feet.

Ready...Set...GO!!

Was at Fleet Farm today smile.gif Heard from a guy who goes out from Karpens (sp?) that there's a crack that keeps opening from one to seven feet wide. Any news on this? He said a resort had to fish their bridge out twice now.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I heard that Karpen's wasn't letting anyone out right now because of the crack. This hasn't been verified, but will learn more by Monday and I'll let you know the status if I get the info on Monday.

I called Karpen's Resort and the bridge did break up this morning. They are working on moving it right now and will have the road re-opened by this afternoon.

Does anyone know how far North the crack goes?

quote:

Originally posted by Lisa G:

I called Karpen's Resort and the bridge did break up this morning. They are working on moving it right now and will have the road re-opened by this afternoon.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.