• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Safe target shooting area near Twin Cities

PaulB

I moved back here a couple years ago, haven't hunted in a long time and have an 11 year old boy who's interested. I figure he needs to learn how to handle a gun, understand the responsibilities, etc before we do any hunting. I'm looking for a chunk of public land with an old quarry or somewhere like that which will provide a safe backdrop for us to do some target practice. I live in the NW Metro area of the Twin Cities. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Hey Paul, Good to hear you want to start the little guy out safe with a fire arm, if I could make one more suggestion...teach him to go to a licensed shooting range. Going to a "chunk" of land always holds a chance of an accident happening, especially around a metro area. You never know when that ATV or mom walking her dog etc. comes over the pit at the same to you let off that first round. At a range it is controlled and you are sure of your backstop...Good Luck getting him off on the right foot...hope he enjoys the time with you.

If you don't mind a little bit of a drive Del-Tone in St Cloud is a good one. They are right off Hwy 10 this side of St Cloud. I also live in the NW metro and have been shooting there ever since a friend of mine introduced me to the place.

I just bought a rifle at Bill's gun shop in Robbinsdale. They throw in with the purchase free use of the range. I haven't used it yet but I hear it is a good range.

mm

Beaverbrook gun club up North of Ham lake off hwy 65 and East on Klondike Drive about one mile, then left on dirt road to the club.They are open Wednsdays and Sundays to the public for shot gun trap.You have to get a membership to use the rifle range unless you know a member (like me smile.gif ).

Benny

HI Paul, Since I don't know you or your son, I will have to base my comments on some assumptions. Since your boy is only 11, I can assume he has not been through a firearms safety course yet. I feel it's a good idea to get him in that before allowing him to handle a gun. I would just start him with a BB gun for now(assuming he has not done that either) with close adult supervision. That will be plenty of excitement for him if he hasn't done it before. Then, take him to the range after he has been taught to handle the weapon safely. Have fun!

Thanks for all your replies. He and I have been out with BB guns several times and I have always stressed safety with them (glasses, always point the gun down range, know what is behind your target, etc). He will attend a gun safety course as soon as I can find one, probably not until next spring. And he knows not to touch any kind of guns without immediate supervision from an adult. His interest in hunting is high now, because this is the season, so I thought now would be a good time to take his instruction to the next level, and thinking about it, a tightly controlled range is the best place for that. Thanks again.