• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This weekend

Havin' Fun

So whose going to be out this weekend?
I will be hunting around Darwin area. Very excited about being out, hopefully I can get some more practice in before Saturday morning! Good luck to all on your quest for a trophy or just some R and R!

I'm planning on heading out sat. evening and probably sun evening also. Have heard some good reports in the area I plan to hunt which is in chippewa county (clara city area). Good luck to you and to all who are hoping to bag that big one.

I'll be out Sat. AM thru Sunday AM hunt up near Lake of the Woods. There's been a nice 8 pt out in the field next to our land so maybe he'll stray far enough. Have fun out there and be safe.

By your reference to 'get the big one' I assume you're talking bowhunting, because there will probably be lots of people out goose hunting too. I'll be out bowhunting Sat morning and Sunday evening for sure, who knows inbetween, may have some family obligations... Still have to wash my clothes and gather the rest of my gear.

So the big decision is what to do if a small buck comes by opening weekend. Even with multiple tags, you're done buck hunting, sure is nice to be in the woods buck hunting when the rut kicks in. Yet I've passed on early season bucks and then never had another shot, that buck would look real nice in November!! Decisions, decisions!!

Good luck all!

Blackjack,

Here's my philosophy, decide before opening day what you are going to do. If you would take a smaller buck or pass. Now if you are going to take one, decide on size. 4,6,8,10?/ Than stick to it. This way your decision is made no matter what. Some people are happy with a 6, or some are happy with an 8. Start of the season we all want that trophy, but truth is, a trophy means different things to different people. We all can remember when our first bow deer was a trophy...I was so proud of my self! Funny how sometimes that doesn't change. Decide now and enjoy the hunt and don't regret your decision.

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 09-10-2003).]

Im with "Hammerin"

Decide before you go start to hunt if you can. I am guessing you are like me and do not have much time to personally scout much to know what deer are in your area and know if your trophy was there before the season.

I use trail cameras, and some minimal scouting to know whats out there before the season, and then I use the 1st month of hunting to finalize the pattern of those deer that I know are there. I normally have names for all the deer that are in the area and usually know what buck or doe I am going to try to take.

Occasionaly there might be a deer that shows up in your area that you didn't expect, but that normally happens only during the rut. That is why if I don't see a nice buck for harvest in one area, I take a doe early on, then go hunt other areas, keeping track of my trail cam to see if a big boy moves in during the rut.

AS it was said earlier, trophy's mean differnt things to different folks. My first deer by bow was a trophy to me, so was my first doe. Now, it's a trophy to me if it's the deer I planned on harvesting, doe or buck.

It's weird how years of hunting have changed my views. I used to be "just shoot the one that gets close enough".

Korn_fish: Your right,... the years really do make a difference in that regard. I started at age 15. Friday, it will be 25 years - hanging in a tree on the archery opener. I've missed "0" openers in those years. ....Shot - and ate - too many to count. ...And my wife still gets mad that I leave to sit in a tree on my birthday. I'd have it no other way though.
For most of the preceeding posts on bowhunting,.... I've "been there and done that." Nevertheless, it's kind-of fun to see how others deal with similar thoughts/conditions on the subjectmatter. Now,... for me, it's just a matter of get'in out and hav'in fun. Yeah,... I still complain about the woods being too thick,... or the bugs being bad,... or that it's too hot, ....etc., but it never really changes from year to year. I'll be in that tree on Saturday morning looking for Mr. Right - celebrating my birthday 16 ft above ground and enjoying every minute of it. Of course, we all know that he's out there...just over the ridge .....and Saturday may be "my" day.

I would agree with that, have your limits in mind prior to going out. Why shoot a small buck anyway? To hang little horns above the fireplace? To me it is such a waste! Before you fly off the handle, this is only MY opinion and I personally do not and will not harvest small bucks. Its a doe or a trophy buck. No in between. Why do I say this? Well, little bucks eventually make big bucks. Some may say...well the neighbor will shoot him anyway. Sure he might but regardless of that, the small buck has a better chance to make it through the year if I do not shoot him! I think a lot of people are beginning to realize that we have poor trophy hunting in the state of MN because of the overharvest of small bucks. Especially when we have the habitat and the genetics to be one of the top producers of trophy deer in the country. Again this is just my opinion but I hope we all take a good hard look at the way we do things and look more into the future instead of today! It just might pay off for YOU!

Interesting responses guys!

I personally feel that any deer that you shoot with a bow is a trophy. I remember the first few years of hunting and not even getting a shot!! It got to the point that I decided that anything that didn't have spots was fair game!! Talk to other bowhunters and realize how many of them never even get a deer. The past few years I've been taking the whole week off before gun season, bowhunting morning and evening, doings some pheasant hunting inbetween, I usually wear myself to a frazzle, but its a great time of the year to be outdoors and up in a tree stand waiting for Mr. Big. For that reason, I will probably pass on a smaller buck early on. But I won't critisize anyone else that takes a small buck. A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. And I disagree when people say that there are no trophy bucks in MN, just look at some of the photos in the outdoor news and other papers! Theres lots of nice ones taken!! If you want a big one, you have to work harder and pass up the small ones.

I'll be out sat. evening. Gotta big 10 pointer hanging around a big alfalfa field. He was still in velvet as of Sunday night.
Think he was the one who snuck in behind me last year.

I am gonna take'em if I get the chance Sat. He's a shooter for sure. Will be grouse hunting with the new lab during the day.

Good Luck all you guys. Be safe up in them trees.....