• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

portable ground blinds

cashcrews

Has anyone out there used those portable ground blinds that have been on the market for a few years now? They usually run for about $119 to $200 it seems. I'm looking for a good setup for my dad (disabled) to hunt out of, and don't want to purchase a piece-of-junk if I can help it.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Cashcrews

I recommend the Double Bull blinds. They're great for turkey or deer, but they can be a little more expensive depending on the one you choose (most around $250 I think). I have met one of the guys who makes em and he seems like a decent regular guy. I have hunted from them and they work great, right down to the shoot through windows. They set up easily, are roomy, and are not cheaply made. I have also used a couple by ameristep and they work well also. But my money is still on the Double Bull. And some have a scent control layer inside so the deer can't smell you. Just make sure that you break up the outline of the blind with whatever surrounding cover you have available, or the deer will spot it. Turkeys will walk right into em. And one of the best things about em is they are made right here in MN. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by simplefish (edited 08-07-2003).]

simplefish, this is great information. Double Bull is a brand I've never heard of, but now I'll check into it for sure.
Thanks,
Cashcrews

I agree, the DoubleBull is definintely the best portable blind in my book. I got two turkeys this spring (Iowa and MN) using a doublebull. I am also disabled and it sure has changed my hunting success. They are incredibly easy to set up, take down and use. Once set up (takes only seconds) you can flop it on its side, roll a wheelchair up to it or set up a chair beside it and then tip it over onto you. Because the fabric stretches tight across the supports, it doesn't flap when the wind blows. The moving fabric in some other blinds can spook your quarry. Go with the double bull, it's the best blind.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Good info on the Double Bull blinds guys! I've been lusting after one the last couple of years, debating upon whether I should get a scouting camera or a blind. The Double Bulls seem like the best of the lot but they are spendy! Has anyone used the latest version that has a zipper on top for waterfowl hunting? How about the shoot thru screens, are they easily replaced? Do they affect arrow flight very much? And how much other brush and coverup are you using around the blind? Also, I've seen these blinds in the Cabelas catalog, but is there any stores around that have one that a person can look at?

Blackjack,
My DoubleBull has the zipper on the top and I used it hunting geese last year. It worked great! I parked it in a fencerow and leaned a few broken cornstalks against it and the geese never suspected a thing.

I also watched my buddy shoot a nice turkey with his bow through the screen. It was about a 20 yard shot and there was no deflection. He taken others that way before. He has a roll of the camo screen and replaces the torn or shot through sections easily. I'm hoping that I can take a turkey with my bow next year.

Yeah, the DoubleBulls cost a bit more, but I hunted out of others in past years and there is no comparison. The ease of setup and takedown is worth the cost alone. If you're looking for a dealer, check out the DoubleBull website.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had known about the doublebull before I bought my ameristep. It flaps way too much in the wind. Does anyone actually deer hunt out of these things? I tried it last year and I didnt see a deer. I was wondering if it could have been partly because of my scent being too low or the fabric moving in the breeze. I just wonder if I should have been in a tree.

Big Dave, as always, its a matter of scouting and being in the right place at the right time. Tree stands help by getting you up and out of sight and smell range - somewhat - but I see the ground blind as being used in a spot where there are no good trees to hang a tree stand or as a quick one time sit on public land or as a spot to put my non-tree climbing wife. I'd also like to try out one of those Double-Bulls with a decoy.

Have any of you used the Double Bull Blinds with a rifle? I hunt Northern WI and get to cold in tree stands to stay in the stand for more than a couple hours. With the ground blind you could be out of the wind stretch legs etc.

Mwal

I have the Outhouse and love it. I admit I find it alittle small for shooting the bow out of and have to open the back flap to draw back but for the rifle it is great. It folds up into such a small package and is light. The only problem I found was I had to get the camo orange for the top because we had other hunters walking up and setting up within 50 yds of us and they never saw us. That happened on 2 different times and these guys were shocked to see me step out of the blind. Two yrs ago I shot a 168 3/8 at 15 paces and he never knew I was there from the blind. I felt like I was cheating it almost seemed too easy. My brother used the same blind 2 days later and shot a respectable 5 X 5 from the same spot and his deer fell in mine's blood spot. There blinds that are larger but with them comes weight and lack of mobility. In Manitoba it is real cold during rifle season and it sure makes sitting alot more comfortable and it sure has picked up our success in seeing deer. The cost of the Outhouse is rather low and I would strongly recommend it. It isn't the cure all and one has to take into account the wind, sun and other cover to break up your outline but it sure has help me.

Anyone have a preference on the T2 vs. the T5 double bull blinds for bowhunting? I'd be mainly bowhunting for deer and the blind would not stay up when I'm not hunting.. I'm leaning towards the T2 as it seems to be a little less obvious profile that may blend in a little better to the surroundings... Anyone have good luck for deer with the T5 - without leaving the blind up for the deer to get used to?

• 3 weeks later...

How about hearing from some more hunters who have harvested deer from there blinds. I have the outhouse also but it is a bit tight on space when drawing your bow. I also made the mistake of not spiking her down and was looking for it in the dark one morning. I would recomend a blind with the black interior walls- mine does not have this and in the sunlight you can make out any movement from the outside looking in. I have been thinking about selling this one and upgrading- maybe this post will convince me.

BigRoy, I original Outhouse was the same as yours but it got wrecked by a bear. The replacement which just got last week is an Outhouse but it is blackened out on the inside. I too find it alittle hard to draw the bow out of and have to open the back window to draw which kind of beats the purpose of the blind. But it works great with the rifle. It is light and very portable. I guess U can't get everything from a single blind.

I ended up getting a T5 from DoubleBull... So far, aside from the cost, I'm pretty impressed with the blind.

I brushed it in and started using it 2 days after putting it in the woods. I had several deer within 20 yards that didn't seem to notice or care about the blind at all. I was worried that they would pick it right out, but I'm impressed. Didn't get a shot, that is another story, it is a bit difficult to shoot through the screen during rain, sunlight, and low light. I've started opening the windows and they don't seem to mind with the dark back ground... Hunted in my tree stand the next day and took a intensive harvest doe.. now it is time for my buck and I'd like to get him on the ground this year... I still have to say, the treestand gives you a major advantage as far as seeing deer early and being prepared. For those situations where a treestand can't be used, these portable blinds seem to work nicely... One day out in the rain, I was happy to have the roof over my head as well...