• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

General Hunting Lounge

Rick

I need all the info I can get on metro deer hunting. I just moved to Savage and I want to bow hunt down near Rice lake. I hunt rifle up in Brainerd though and I dont want to waste my rifle tag. Can you get extra management tags in the metro? Where can I get info on the metro bow hunt? I want to be set by Sept with a place to go down there. I hear you can't hunt around Rice but you can on the refuge side toward Shakopee.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hunt4food

• Borch

• pikechaser

• MNice

Okay, I have a problem and I would like some advice. I have some hunting land in Aitkin County and I have beavers. I love the beavers, they create awesome wetlands that wood ducks, mallards and geese use all spring and fall which is great for me since I duck hunt. These are birds that I never saw on the property 10 years ago before the beavers arrived.

As many of you know, beavers tend to flood low level areas. One of these area's is a gravel road owned by the township that borders my property. The township came in 2 years ago and replaced the culvert that the beavers had clogged and water was over the road. It wasn't enough water to wash out the road, it was only an inch or two every spring but enough to create some pot holes.

This year the culvert is once again clogged with sticks and a lot of mud because of the beavers, not a big surprise. Now the township wants to blow up the beaver dam on my property because it's flooding the township road that only myself and one other land owner use and the water doesn't bother him. Obviously I don't want them to blow up the dam and drain this wetland and have it turn into the tag alder swamp it once was. I say leave it alone or raise the road or leave it alone if you are concerned about the beavers but I don't want them draining this awesome wetland that a lot of species now call home (i.e. reptiles, amphibians, waterfowl, etc.).

So I told the township that I won't pay a penny to fix the road, it's their road and I pay more then enough in property taxes to cover the gravel/culvert that it would take to repair the road. They said I have to pay or they are going to blow the dam? Side note, they trapped the beavers two years ago, there was a new colony in their the next year or they missed a few. Either way, it didn't solve the problem. Is blowing up a beaver dam and draining a wetland legal? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with a town, dnr or neighbor. I would be interested in hearing your advice, experience or your opinion.

Thanks, Matt
[email protected]

Well that is not the response I was looking for on metro deer hunting but I think I can help you out a bit with your beaver problem.

I hear you. I would not want them messing with that dam either. Sounds like you have a real good thing going. I had the same problem on my mothers land a few years back. The real issue is that the beaver population on your land is out of wack. These are very prolific creatures and very difficult to control, as any rodent is. I am sure that an arragement could be made with the city. What you will have to do though is control that beaver population.

If you manage to open that dam part way to regulate the water backing up, the beaver will repair it. If you dont then the DNR will blow your dam.

Here is what I see. You have two choices.

One. Let them blow the dam. This will not effect your beaver population. The little construction workers will begin building it the next day. They are relentless. Trust me. This will mess up a years of duck hunting though if you dont have it done at the right time of year. Have it blown during the late spring. The beaver will work overtime to repair it as they will have new kits to care for. This will also allow a few months for the water to build back up by duck season. The only down side is that any woodies in the area that are nesting may loose their clutches due to the instant habitat loss. I dont suspect that there are many nesting in there though if this new pond is recent.

Two. You will have to put in a lot of sweat and constantly manage your land, year around. The real key is to learn how to trap beaver. Being that you own the land you can trap them without a lisense here in Minnesota. You will have to open part of that dam and keep it open. The water level will be hard to manage at first but you will eventually have it just right. As long as you keep the road from being flooded you keep the city and DNR happy. By leaving the dam you will keep your duck pond. Dont forget to keep that culvert open too!

I have to tell you though that this is hard work. The DNR is spread to thin and will not trap out enough of those beaver. You will have to trap throughout the fall and into spring. Maybe maintain a half dozen. Spring will help the best with managing the population as you will catch the young of the year mostly. The dam itself will need constant attention. They will never give up repairing it. You will have to put in some hours with pitchfork and ax. It will be very well constructed and you will need a good pair of hip boots.

I could go on and on here my friend but I have to get back to work.

I have some real first hand knowledge with this beaver thing as I have mentioned. My uncle had the same problem back a ways as well. Each situation is different though. I studied Ecology in my college years and have trapped a share myself too! If you want to discuss this further please go ahead and e-mail me directly. I may even be able to help you first hand if I can find the time.

[email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

I just found out that I got my name drawn for a bear hunting permit but noticed that the opener is on Sunday, September 1? That stinks! Why did they push it back this year? I heard that people were complaining because they felt that they couldn't go in the woods during labor day weekend because of the bear hunters. So now they pushed it back to the Sunday of Labor day weekend? These are probably the same people that call the DNR and complain about bears in their bird feeders. I just wanted to know if anyone else is ticked about this, now I have two weekends to hunt bear before the grouse hunters hit the woods and cause the bears to go nocturnal. Last year I believe the season opened Thursday, August 23. Write the DNR and voice your opinion if you feel the same way I do.

There's a few hunters complaining about bad hides from last years early harvests and wanted to push the bear opener back.

It just doesn't make sense to have an opener on Sunday, not one bit.

i got drawn this year for bear hunting in area 31 and am wondering if anyone knows of a guide or outfitter who has bait to hunt over. i live 4 hours away so it's not practical for me to run up every weekend not to mention i only get one weekend off a month.if there is anyone who wouldnt mind if i hunted with them that would be better yet.id be willing to help with baiting or any other chores they might have.any help would be greatly [email protected]

GUYS, with the exception of the last couple of years, the bear opener has always fallen on Sept. 1st no matter what day it happens to be. They started it early a couple of times to try to increase the harvest. I really can't help you with a guide in zone 31, but I do know a great one in 12/13/41! Just drop me an e-mail, I had my two bears by the second day and every hunter he had got a bear by their 3rd day! Can't argue with success. Good luck gang. SATCHMO grin.gif

Yeah, I wish it was earlier for the opener. I am hunting 44.
I think somebody needs to start the 2002 bear hunting topic!

• 2 weeks later...

About the clips for a Ruger 10/22. You can take them a part but be warned they are kind of a pain to put back together the right way. All you have to do is unscrew the hex nut (there is only one on the clip) once you get this off you can pull out the guts. I cleaned mine out last year for the first time since I got the gun probably 10 years ago. Lots of crud. The problem with these clips is getting the spring put back properly. Since these are rotary magazines the spring pressure is not directed straight up as in a handgun mag. When you put it back in you have to twist the spring to give it tension, took me a couple times to get the correct pressure.

• 1 month later...

Teamtingler - We're already losing duck habitat faster and faster and now the local gov't wants to destroy more? Have you tried to get in touch with a local chapter of Ducks Unlimited? They must have connections with some good attorneys that'll help you pro-bono or know of a good publicity campaign that'll shame the local government into NOT being the DOT!!!! Unbelievable!!

[This message has been edited by Long Gray Line (edited 09-02-2002).]

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy All...

My neighbor just bought a new shotgun and refuses to pay the 10, 15 or even $20.00 per gun to shoot a few clays at the local ranges. Do you happen to know of anyplace (public) to go to dust a few in the southwest metro? Like around Waconia somewhere.

Thanks for any info......Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing some remodeling at the store. I'm looking for some hunting / fishing related quotes....inspirational, or just thoughtful...to put up on the walls. Any favorites? any sources?

thanks gang!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

now you all, or half of you know Im mostly farm boy growing up near Millacs lake. we live in Avon now. Ive seen butternut trees, tons of acorns and lots of beeries. now my ? is,- do deer eat chestnuts? we will have 2 bushel baskets later, we do know that the darn squirrels bury them all over, and the yard is covered, almost to the point you cant walk -- any advice? cows eat potatoes and so did the pigs plus lots of acorns

What is a good, accurate, reliable, reasonably priced ($200 range) .22 or .22 mag. out there? Would consider a bolt, lever, auto, or pump - used or new.

I recently sold a Ruger 10/22 which was a good solid gun, but the accuracy wasn't what I had hoped for.

I'm apparently having trouble with duplicate posts and don't have delete priveleges.

[This message has been edited by uffdapete (edited 10-12-2002).]

Has anyone been out hunting grouse this year. I know the population is low, but their's gotta be a few birds out there. Anyone been out in the northern portion of the state, or anywhere else for that matter? I plan on going this weekend.

Troll,
I was out grouse hunting yesterday and a little bit this morning around the Little Falls area. There are a few grouse around, but you have to work for them. I flushed two or three (chased them all around the woods, they're safe) and I heard one drumming that I couldn't find. The ones I flushed came from willow swampy areas in some pretty thick cover. I didn't see any off of trails that I usually hunt. Keep hiking, and enjoy those few flushes you do get. Good luck!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

HI,
Can anyone tell me if there is a lot of difference between a fully rifled slug barrel and a smooth bore slug barrel? I understand that there are spiraled grooves in the fully rifled one that makes the slug come out spinning. Is this for accuracy?
Would a novice hunter like me even know the difference? Thanks for the info.
Dave

Hi Dave, I have hunted deer with slugs going on 20 years now. I started as most people did shooting slugs through a smooth bore 30" barrel. At that time, shots much beyond 50 yards were risky. I switched to a smooth bore slug barrel on an 870 in about 1986. There were significant improvements to the tighter bore that made a slug travel better. I was now able to shoot 75-100 yards and with a little luck, hit my target well. I now hunt with an 11-87 equipped with a rifled slug barrel and a 30MM red dot scope. I can't even compare it to the 870. this gun can shoot consistent 3" groups at 100 yards from a bench. I can usually hit a 10" paper plate at 150 yards. My red dot scope limits my ability to get any better accuracy, but I like it a lot. Others claim even better performance and I believe most of them. One major difference is the quality and choices of your slugs. A smooth barrel performs best with a rifled slug. A rifled slug barrel works best with a Sabot slug. The rifled barrel has been around awhile now, but now some manufacturers are making slugs that claim 1900+FPS and accuracy to 150 yards. I have not tried these new slugs yet but I suspect the technology has improved enough that some hunters will be able to successfully take a 150+ yard shot. In summary....yes. there is a substantial difference from the smooth barrels to the rifled barrels. I guess you need to decide how long of a shot you are planning to take. 75% of my deer have been shot at less than 75 yards, but I am comfortable to shoot out to 125 yards and know I will hit my mark unless "buck fever" sets in a little too much smile.gif I hope this helps! I am sure others will reply.

fishgun, I noticed you are from Stillwater. Me too. Will you be deer hunting locally? Check out my post in the der hunting forum. Somebody asked about sighting in their gun. I suggested Oakdale gun club. Try to avoid the weekend if you can. It's nuts there on the weekend.

[This message has been edited by hunt4food (edited 10-20-2002).]

I was out grouse hunting on the 19th and it was a great day in the woods. I hunted the Chippawa National Forest; jumped 6 and bagged 2. I was pleased concidering it was just my uncle and I walking without a dog. All the birds were jumped in the middle of the woods, not on the trails. Walk the pines and you'll find birds.

• 3 weeks later...

I found out my slugs are shooting about 4" low at 50 yards on my 870 smooth bore barrel.
I have a Simmons 4X shotgun scope and the person who adjusted the scope last year is not around to adjust it for me. The windage was perfect with all shots, but it shot 4" low.
How do you adjust he scope to make it aim correctly?

------------------
F-STOP

I found out my slugs are shooting about 4" low at 50 yards on my 870 smooth bore barrel.
I have a Simmons 4X shotgun scope and the person who adjusted the scope last year is not around to adjust it for me. The windage was perfect with all shots, but it shot 4" low.
How do you adjust he scope to make it aim correctly?

------------------
F-STOP

anyone got room or know of guides to go hunting that is not too expensive wanting to go out deer hunting for the first time ivehunted hog, chachalaca, dove, and stuff like that but never deer hunted before. thanks

I need to know what kind of slug to use in my smooth bore Twenty gauge shot gun for deer this weekend any advice would be appreciated.

You will want to choose a "rifled" slug. These will perform better from a smooth bore barrel than "sabot" slugs. There are lots of brands to choose from. I happen to like Remington slugs but don't have any real solid reasons why. I have a rifled barrel so I have not shot any rifled slugs for a few years. The rifled barrels perform better with Sabot slugs.

Good luck!

Thank you Hunt4food not only is your username appropiate but your advice is right on. I was at the Federal ammunition site and they said exactly what you said. Thank you. I will give a post if i get a buck because I will owe Hunt4food for it.

A little deer hunting humor humor! smile.gif
Speakin' of upcoming holidays, deer hunting is a holiday season all its own up here in North Country. And every year I get out my gun and my blaze orange fashion apparel, I start to thinkin' of those wild MacKenzi e brothers and their deer huntin' exploits.
Deer huntin' out of season is nearly a capital offense here. But a few years back, the MacK enzie brothers couldn't get enough of the huntin' experience, so they started makin' their own rules. But even with all the rule bendin' and breakin' that they did, as I know, they never succeed ed in baggin' a deer before.
That's why it surprised me when they supposedly took down 20-point buck! Now I dare say the average deer is smarter than a MacKenzie brother, and a big old buck like that one is most likely smarter than all three of them put together. The one time they got lucky hunting, they had the animal cleaned and dressed befo re they realized it was a cow. I figured the only way those guys could get a buck like that was to hit it with their truck or somethin'.
With curiosity gettin' the best of me, I decided to mosey on down to the courthouse and watch the Mackenzie Brothers go up in front of the judge. The brothers were cleaned up and wearin' their Sunday best. Th e case was presided over by the right-honorable Meyer Karl (brother to former Mayor and current Public Works Commissioner, Oskar Karl). The judge was familiar with the Mackenzie Brothers' shenan igans, and I doubted he would go easy on them. The prosecuting attorney was Robert Travers, a recent transplant and former D.A. from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (I hear he moved to South Bran ch for the warmer climate!) For the defense it was Wilbur Dewey of Dewey, Milken, Cheetham & Howe.
Things did not look good for the Mackenzie brothers as the prosecution called its only witness -- the Mackenzie Brothers' own mother! She explained how she came home to find them field dressin' the deer on the ping pong table in the basem ent, with some blatherskite story about the deer dyin' of natural causes in the living room.
But then the Mackenzie brother gave their testimony (all together, with each fillin' in missin' pieces). They claimed they were sittin' around playin' cards when this 20-point buck leaped through the picture window, ran across the living room, down the hall, into the kitchen, down into the basement, turned around, came back upstairs, back through the kitchen and into the living room where it dropped dead on the carpet.
The prosecutor just rolled his eyes at their pathetic story. And said, "Other than being dead, the deer looks to be in pretty good shape. How come there are no cuts on it from coming through the glass?"
"Obviously," Mr. Dewey said, "its antlers broke the glass first, thus sparing the animal from cuts."
"How do you explain the fact that Mrs. Mackenzie informs us that the picture window is not broken?" Mr. Travers asked.
"Fearing they would be blamed for this somehow, my clients went to the hardware store and bought a replacement for the window. They installed it, cleaned up the broken glass and dragged the deer down in to the basement for dressing," explained Mr. Dewey.
"I don't suppose they have a receipt for the window?" the judge asked.
"No, your honor," Wilbur explained, "but I'm sure a call to the hardware store will confirm that they did buy a window on the day in question."
"Even so," the prosecutor said, "how do we know they didn't break the window themselves? Perhaps they shot the deer from the inside of the house -- which is something they have been in front of the court for doing before."
"That was a woodchuck," one of the brothers interjected. "And I thought the window was open."
"We demand an autopsy your Honor." The defense said.
"On a deer?!" The prosecutor cried. "Your Honor, they cleaned and dressed the animal and most likely obliterated all traces of a bullet. If their mother hadn't have come home when she did, no doubt it would have been cut up into steaks and put away in the freezer!"
The judge pondered for a moment. "Well, if what the boys say is true, this deer died of a hear t attack or some other natural causes. An autopsy will bear that out. I have no choice but to order an autopsy."
Well it turns out, accordin' to the vet, that the deer did indeed die of a heart attack. The Mackenzie brothers were vindicated and have managed to stay out of trouble the rest of the huntin' season! confused.gifgrin.gif

A liitle long but?
"FISH" grin.gif

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

KPP,

I hope that you take the time today to sight in your gun with the ammo that you choose.

Good luck.