• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Turkey Hunters

Rick

From one of my earlier posts.....

quote:

After not getting drawn for the Spring 2002 hunt, I went after a surplus tag & got one for the "H" season(22-26 May). That's a little later than I had wanted. We are going after the Toms in a 3 man team.
Since 2 of my hunting/fishing buddies got surplus tags also.

Just to make things clear, in case there was some confusion. wink.gif

Now for something that kind of "ticks" me off about some of the regs that MnDNR has.... mad.gif
I , personally, after hunting turkeys in Minn. & Virginia ; Don't think it is wrong to have a "caller & a "hunter". (Unless it violates the laws/regs. of the state you're hunting in. It shouldn't matter..It would make ya wonder??...How did they get some of the videos of turkey hunting. Do ya think the camera-man always has a license too? What about "guided trips", for turkey, or deer, et-al?....Who usually does the calling then? Not always the hunter.the hunter might not be a good caller, but he/she can shoot one if it's in adequate range for his/her abilities.)

I understand what Sarge is saying, & I understand what Borch is saying.

It's a pity that the laws in Minn. don't allow for a turkey hunter to have an "assist" from someone. They have "Youth waterfowl days", "Take a Kid" & a "Take a Mom" fishing days . But, try & do what Borch is trying to do, take a kid "hunting", (after passing the Firearms safety course, I assume.) & trying to be a good parent. His daughter qualifies for, & gets a surplus tag for the Spring turkey hunt, But she's at the age(13) where she has to have a parent or guardian present while hunting by law. Is Borch wrong for going along?? I hope not...& I doubt not.
But, to have him do the calling.... Well, He's not supposed to do it & shouldn't...if it's breaking the law of the state where hunting. But I think he should be able to. He's taking a "youth", turkey hunting. Trying to pass on a tradition, and a "right to hunt" .(as passed by the great State of Mn.)

So, yes, I think Sarge is right about not "assisting" by calling. (Borch..Teach her how to use a call,hopefully before you go out hunting.)
And, Yes, Borch, You should go with her.. I think that's Great! & the right thing to do!

Some of these rules need to be changed... "Nuff said, Eh?

Time for me ta get off this stump. wink.gif

See ya out there!
& Good Luck!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 04-11-2002).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Well I sent off an email to the DNR in regards to the calling for a youth who has another season than yourself. Usually I get a response the same day or the next at the latest for questions I have posed to them in the past. As of this morning no response from them yet. Either Jim Abernathy is out of the office or he's taking some time to draft a response. Soon as I hear from him I'll pass on the info. I'll be teaching her to use a box call and a slate before her season. I certainly don't want to break the law. And I know that I just can't follow the laws I agree with. So I'll follow their interpretation of the law. Just to let you know I was just a bit peeved by the situation when I responded(To be honest I'm still not happy about it).

Let me add that the rule as stated in the regulations is very vague as to this. It only state that unliscensed hunters(or those liscensed for a different season) may not assist the taking of a turkey in any way. So taken to the extreme, I wouldn't be able to say, "Let's sit here" "When he gets to here he's in range". Or even set out the dekes. Am I even allowed to scout for her, buy her shells, buy her liscense or drive her to her spot? All these things assist her in taking her turkey. She couldn't take one without these things. As you can see it become pretty ridiculus when to take the situation to the extreme. On top of that the legal requirment that I be there is actually a detriment to her chance for success. As I can't help her in any way and one more person makes it that more likely that a turkey will see movement and spook.

I asked for clarification to the rule and stated that if calling in this situation is not currently legal that I'd be contacting my legislator to address this in upcoming sessions. Because it's really quite ridiculus. It's not like I'm a guide(who aren't required to be liscensed/certified in any way in MN)who profits from the situation. Rather just a dad trying to help his daughter harvest a bird during the toughest season to do so.
And Sarge you're right. Sorry about my earlier post. I've stressed hunting legally with my kids all along. My older daughter who sit's within 15 yards of a park boundry(no hunting) while she deer hunts watch 4 different bucks(one was a big 10 point) which never crossed the boundry into our land. She never shot because she knew it was wrong. I wonder how many hun

Please post the info you hear back from the DNR. I am very interested to see what they have say. Just because I mentioned the info regarding the assisiting rule, doesn't mean that I support it... I just didn't want to see someone cross a line if they didn't know it was there.
Enough with the rules... the toms I've been watching on my way to work are hot-to-trot! Hens don't seem too willing yet, but the toms have been running (literally) after them every morning. Early season hunters should have a blast! What's everyone else been seeing? I've only been watching, haven't done any listening yet. Are they doing a lot of gobbling too?

They were gobbling real hard sunday morning down my way, even had one gobble once before dusk, that I heard while finishing up my yard work.

Only 26 more days until I finally get to go.
Have been seeing quite afew big toms the last couple weeks, hope they stick around!!

Greg

Borch,Huskminn-I also stay in Hill City and hunt about a 20 mi. diameter.Planning a quick trip out April 25-28 then possibly May 8-12 if needed.May not make Wyoming again this year.Well I'm packed and ready to sit under a tree on Wed. Wonder if I'll need sunscreen?

Creekkid,

Heard back from the DNR and I can't call for her. Still waiting on clarification as to what I can do as I am required(and want to)go with her as she is only 13. She's practicing with a box call and a slate. I'm also waiting to get the DNR's reasoning behind this regulation. I'm just curious.

I did find out that they are working towards a youth hunt for turkey for the spring of 2003. During this season adults would be able to call for their youth hunters. I don't have any other details yet.

Fighting Toms,

Where in Hill City are you staying? We'll be out there at the same time(April 24-28). We'll be staying a Crooked Creek. In Cabin 2&3. Hey..... your not the guy who got cabin #1 are you? [ wink.gif]

If so we'll see you out there.

Ok, Anyone get a bird today? I ready need a good turkey hunting story.

I finally got my turkey on Thursday. Boy did I have a good time. I was hunting around St. Joesph, MN. I shot my first turkey after about seeing about twenty different toms. I shot my turkey then my father-in-law shot his while it was jumping up and down when mine was doing the crappie flopp. Mine weighed 23lbs with 9inch beard. My father-in0-laws weighed 25lbs with 10inch beard. If interested tons more to disclose. Happy hunting!!!! Boy I wish I would have waited to the last day to shot one. Sure is fun!!!

Way to go MAddog!

Those are some very nice birds!

I'm heading out tomorrow for the Black Hills. Then hunting in MN(Same permit area)May 7-11.

• 2 weeks later...

Any more reports on success?
Great job Maddog! grin.gif

& Good Luck Borch!
wink.gif

• 9 months later...

Time for this to start up.