• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Turkey Hunters

Rick

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

How many of you visit here and what's your story Turkey hunters.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't hunt turkey in Minnesota last year. Instead made a trip out to the Black Hills in SD. We went 2 for 3. I was out there last week when the forest fire started. It's really burning things up out there. I plan on going back out next spring if there is anything left to go back to, what a shame. Any rate did anyone get any birds this past spring?

• 7 months later...

Gobble Gobble GOBBLE!!!

With the first season starting tomorrow a.m., I'd love to hear some Turkey talk!!! I'm hunting 2nd season (next Monday!!!), so it's getting harder to sleep at night! Can NOT WAIT!!!!!!

JA!

• 1 month later...

J.A.SAY.TREE,

Haven't seen nor heard from you lately. Did you get a bird? A buddy of mine shot a double beard 10" and 6" beards. We have been seeing 4 BIG gobblers across the street from our new house, don't think any of them were shot this year.
Feels like duck hunting weather, wish it was early october instead of early june.

Borch--

Did you get out to the Black Hills this past spring? I made the trek out there in May, and saw the damage from the forest fire. It was pretty awe inspiring to see what kind of damage it can do, and also at the same time how the new growth can attract so much wildlife. We saw a lot of elk in the burn areas. Did see turkey, but they were not as talkative in May as they had been closer to the opener. A few foiled opportunities, but a lot of fun! Will definitely be back there next year!

Duck-o-holic

We made it out to the hills end of April. Worked lots of birds(at least 10 each day) that had a major cased of henned up. Ended up 1:3 with a 21lb 10 oz tom with a 9" beard and 1 1/8' spurs. I called it in for a buddy of mine's first bird. Great time. Black Hills goes to a lottery system for next spring. We'll have to see how it goes. Sure is some beautiful country out there.

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 06-08-2001).]

• 5 months later...

Is your permit in?

Rick,
Yep, just got it in under the wire. Applied for the farthest north area, around Detroit Lakes. Not many permits issued, but what the heck. We have seen quite a few birds during deer hunting the last couple of years. Never have experienced gobbler hunting, but sounds like it could be exciting. It seems like it would be very strange walking around in the woods with a shotgun the end of April or early May. We'll see what happens.
RS

• 2 months later...

So who all got lucky enough to get picked for the 2002 spring hunt?

This is my second year in a row! and looking at the permits left, if you pick a later season during the week not over a weekend, you could get picked year after year.

The birds may be a little shy by then, but its still just great getting out and trying.

Hey Sarge,
I was left out of the lottery this year so I plan on waiting in line for whats left. I do Love turkey hunting, Bringing back turkeys was the best thing to happen to hunters in this state in the past 50 years. I usually hunt in Carlos Avery now because of the easy access but used to hunt east of whitewater state park. Where are you hunting?

Good Luck this year!
Jim

Hey Jim, I am lucky enough to have some right where I live, and a wonderful neighbor who lets me hunt on her land right across the road from my house. I'm in the Spring Valley area.

Kind of funny story from last season...
On the second day of my hunt, about 9am the turkeys shut up and wouldn't respond to me any more. So I thought I'd head back to the house and have alittle breakfast then go back out.

Got to my driveway and Leah was standing out in the yard in her bright pink bath robe, taking pictures of a turkey less then 20 yards away from her. So I try to sneak along the pinetrees trying to get close( I'm covered in camo head to toe) it sees me while I'm still 200 feet away, and is gone.

So this year I might have to borrow her bathrobe to take out hunting! LOL smile.gif

Hey everyone, I see that we have an extra 5 hours to hunt each day this year! Shooting hours were extended to 5pm!

This might cut into our fishing. I liked hunting till noon, then trout fishing till dark!!! This will really test my priorities!

Hey Sarge, where are you seeing 5:00? I've been looking at the DNR website for 1/2 an hour. The only time change I see is from 12:00 Noon to 5:00 p.m. to start selling the "1st come, 1st serve" surplus permits. Please let me know if the actual hunting time is listed somewhere else that I am not seeing. I have not received my forms in the mail yet so if that is where you saw it, it would explain why I can't find it on the DNR site.

CK, this info is in the "Winnners Notification & Information book".

And it says you have 24hours to register the bird, instead of 2pm the day you shoot it like in the past.

Both rather dramatic changes, I wonder why?

Hey Sarge,

SWEET!!! I got my permit too for back to back years! So did Becky!!! And my Dad scored the A season! I'm totally pumped! Should be some GIANT toms out there with this easy winter... the record could be broken this spring.

JA!

Hey Sarge, Thanks. I got my notification this morning. 5:00 sounds like a long day! I think it is easier to hit it hard for a whole season when you know you only only 6-7 hours of hunting. Now with 11-12 hours of actually being in the field, I'm gonna need a month's worth of sleep before heading out! I think it's gonna be tougher hunting too. Seems like they're WAY out in the fields w/hens late in the day. Will probably spend the extra 5 hours on our bellies slithering across rain-soaked pastures, tall grass and manure-filled fileds. I can't wait! Now comes the hardest part of all... Waiting. Good Luck.

-Creek Kid

I can't wait! Got drawn in MN this year and will head out to the Black Hills end or April as well. Later in the season that late day can be very good as hens have gone to nest. Not as much of a factor during the early season with toms all henned up. Good luck to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So what are you turkey hunters seeing and hearing this spring? Any gobbling or strutting yet?

I saw 6 toms strutting in a field near St. Cloud on Good Friday. Haven't heard any gobbling yet.

I have not heard any gobbling yet, but watched a group of 10 jakes and toms do alittle sparing/strutting, in an alfa field sunday. Unfortunately not where I have permission to hunt.

Can't wait for my season to get here!!!

After not getting drawn for the Spring 2002 hunt, I went after a surplus tag & got one for the "H" season(22-26 May). That's a little later than I had wanted. We are going after the Toms in a 3 man team. Since 2 of my hunting/fishing buddies got surplus tags also.
We expect that most hens will be sitting close to the nests by then & The Toms will have probably been harassed like crazy by earlier hunting pressure.(Like late season Buck hunting)
Foilage will be thicker also, making tracking,locating recent strutting lanes &
shooting lane options harder. That's just a few things we're going to have to deal with.
It's definately going to be a tougher hunt.
We have some good ideas on tactics, but would be certainly happy for any more info on "very late" season tactics.
Every little bit could help. Even if you mention something we are already aware of, it could help others who are in the same situation.
A very late season hunt is going to be hard, but definately going to be fun, & a sure test of skills, with some good luck too![i hope! wink.gif]

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
;)

My daughter didn't get drawn and has a surplus tag for the "H" season. We'll be trying to pattern the birds as I'm guessing they will be less responsive to calling(and gobbling less)by that time. Although I have seen Toms out strutting in the middle of fields until the middle of June.

I'm huntng the "E" season and have done well in the past durng that time.

Have a great spring!

Apr. 17 can't come soon enough.Lucked out and got drawn for the early MN. hunt,then off to Wyoming & Black Hills,love thoes Merriams.There's a fun NWTF banquet in ST. Francis on Fri,(Apr. 12) stop in and share you're hunting stories. Good huntin'

I went one of those late surplus seasons last year. Didn't get any shooting but had heart pounding experiences and shouldering action every day! Just couldn't get them to come in. The new 5:00 time should make a big difference in the late seasons as it seems they are less responsive to calling but have more of a pattern. The hours I spent laying in ambush were always the right decision, I was just off by 20-30 yards. I saw more lone toms than ever before. The more I hunt the smarter the birds are getting. But when they're hot they make mistakes just like a rutting buck. I go 4th season, gotta start practicing my calls! Looking forward to seeing the posts this year. Good luck!

Creek Kid,
Just last nite I was "talkin' turkey" wink.gif with a few fellas at the local "waterin' hole". & we were discussing a situation just what happened to you with the callin' but no-decent-shot part. I told them that even if I didn't get a shot, just seeing if I can get them in close enough to see at that time of year will be a thrill. But, that's also another reason why we are teaming up to hunt.
with 1 callin' & 2 others nearby, we may have a better chance for a shot.(Safety & shooting lanes are going to be top priority, especially on this hunt.)But, be teaming up, I think we'll have a better chance. Thanks for your input!! smile.gif
Good luck to all!
smile.gif

MN Sportsman - not sure if all three of you are going to be licensed hunters or not but the regs say only licensed hunters for the same season may assist another hunter. Anyone can go and sit with you but "assisting" includes "calling". It's legal to call for someone else in some other states but not MN. If all 3 of you are not licensed, watch your back. You'd have to get "caught in the act" for it to stick but my word has never done well against the law. Don't mean to be a spoil sport but it's one of those that could ruin a good time too. Take care out there.

Well I guess I'll be breaking the law! Sorry but that's the way it'll be. I'll be calling for my 13 year old daughter on her first turkey hunt. Reality is we won't be doing much calling for the last season, but some soft stuff and she'll be working on her calling. If the DNR has a problem with that I guess they really don't want to get the younsters out there to hunt after all. Anyone who gets pinched for that will cause a PR nightmare that not even the DNR has seen before.

I do what ever I can to stay within the law but that is absolutely ridiculus.

I'll shoot the DNR an email to get thier spin on it. But does this mean that an adult can't call for thier youth on the youth day waterfowl hunt? If so why is it any different here? I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Fighting toms,

When you heading to the Black Hills? I'll be out there again this spring chasing Merriams the last week in April.

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 04-10-2002).]

For those of you heading to the Black Hills to hunt, I'm curious what areas you go to.

I grew up there and have hunted many a tom in the Hills.

I was out last fall hunting deer in the Hills and we saw quite a few birds. I'd give you the locations, but that may not help because they migrate to different areas come spring.

Good luck and be safe!

I'm glad that I waited till today to respond on your post. The statement-"Well I guess I'll be breaking the law! Sorry but that's the way it'll be." was somewhat disapointing.

The DNR got back to me today and it is not legal to call for your daughter if your not lincensed for that time.

So I'm gonna hop on the soap box.
Being that I don't know you personally please take this with a grain of salt.

What kind if message is that sending to your child? The man they look up to most, see as the ultimate authority figure, saying screw the law I'm gonna do what I want?

And is this not why they have the party hunting applications, that way if she is picked your also picked?

But you are not the only one who I have heard fudging on this one.

Any other comments?

We stay in Hill City. We generally hunt with a 20 mile radius of there. Usually see a lot of birds. But they move around a lot in the spring too. Here one day. Next day no where near the same spot. Doing radio collar studies of the Black Hills birds found that during breeding season toms would cover up 14 miles a day looking for willing hens. So they do more around.