• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear Hunting

Rick

I am pretty sure it is 558#. I saw it in a back issue of Bear Hunting Magazine.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Remington

• emtbucket

• Sand Burr

• mnwild14

Like I said, I searched the net high and low :-p

The minnesota DNR website didn't have it, and the boone and crockett site only had world records, not state records.

Oh, on another note, any of you guys hunt with a pistol? I just bought a new ruger super blackhawk .44 mag. and I'm itchin to try it out on big game. And since Bear hunting is the next available season, it seemed like a logical choice. I haven't hunted bear since 1996 though, and when I hunted then, I used a rifle.

I didn't find out what the "current" best Black Bear in Minnesota was, other that the archery record in Pope and Young....I did, however find out that a 22 5/16 Black Bear from MN is registared for the 25th annual entries that will be held in a few years....I did mention the archery record and asked if Boone & Crockett had a larger entry from MN, when I e-mailed them and the only reply was in reference to the bear slated for the 25the annual awards. The world record is 23 0/16 and was "picked-up" in Utah.

------------------
Is there a limit on these things?
Lichen Fox

I think the bear shot south of Brainerd was around 600lb.For some reason I think the owner of bait shop in Motley (Brown maybe)shot one that went 650lb, might be wrong. I seen the mount, full body standing upright.Looked like Yogy-upsidedown light bulb.

Never used sugar beets for bears, but I would bet that once you get them coming in, that would be good filler. I usually go to supermarkets and ask if I can have the old baked goods. A lot of places give them to you free, other places make you pay a couple bucks a garbage bag full, least, thats how much it cost last time I went hunting.

Hey guys, I've never used sugar beets for bear either. Deer love them.
One bait that you might find entertaining is Atomic Fire balls.
I've never seen this personally, but I did hear this from a very reliable source. He put 8 Atomic Fire Balls in a line on a fallen tree about 1 foot from one another. The log was 10 feet from the bear bait, and the bear ate every single atomic fire ball before he went for the bait.
Anyone ever heard of this sort of thing before?

------------------
Kupcho's Guide Service
Upper Red, Winnie, Blackduck Area
http://fishingminnesota.com/blackduck/
Phone:(651) 426-1545
E-mail: [email protected]

We use dog food/mollases,sweet corn,pie filling. Check this out.Last year a farmer seen us baiting,stopped and gave us permission to hunt his farm.He told us the bear were eating his corn.At first we thought he was talking sweet corn,till we got there.We all jumped in the back of his truck.Took us back to a 200acre section of field corn.He drove right into the field and showed us patches of downed corn big enough to turn a tractor trailer around in.We learned after a week of baiting with only one hit,that we were wasting time.We found out shortly after from an old time bear hunter,said when the corn goes into the milk stage just as well stay home.Said the bears are bulking up for winter,put on more lbs corn then nuts & berries.The farmer also confermed what we thought,they were eatting&sleeping in that field.We learned alot from that old timer.

• 2 months later...

The countdown has begun to my next date with a mere 10,000 mosquitoes and one big bruin. If I'm lucky the bear will show too!!!

I wonder if all of this rain will create a bumper crop of berries and such. If so I will have to pull out the secret weapon baits.

is anyone hunting area 31 near duluth? if you are and need bait maybe we can work something out. i live 4 hours away and only get 1 weekend off a month so i cant come up often enough to bait.heres the deal! i need a bait station to hunt over sept 1-4 in exchange for all the bait i can get you.my deer hunting buddy works at the college as a cook and can get his hands on a ton of food. i work for a spray drying plant where we make cheeze powder and coffee creamers and i can get 50 lb bags of this stuff (as much as you want. this is my only weekend off during the bear season so let me know if anyone wants to deal. [email protected]

Satchmo,
Are you hunting up at red this year? Kinda sounds like it. I will be using kelly's services and will be staying at Ninetoes cabin. I will be bringing my dad on his first ever bear hunt. Should be a blast!

Sand Burr,
I was thinking that if we left all the bait in NINETOES porch it would save all of us a lot of work. Heck if we put it in his living room we could use his loft for the stands. grin.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

The blind behind the stove might not be a good idea. Have you ever seen the pictures of Duck-o-holic when he was there???? ISH!! grin.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

I'll be there Sand Burr, even if I'm not hunting I can slam the door behind the bears at Ninetoes. That will make tracking a whole lot easier!!! Unless they get in the loft!!Looking forward to it gang.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody been out scouting? I was out last weekend and saw all kinds of sign. The berries aren't out yet, but the tops of chokecherry trees are ripening and getting yanked down.

Has anybody been out scouting? I was out last weekend and saw all kinds of sign. The berries aren't out yet, but the tops of chokecherry trees are ripening and getting yanked down.

I looks good around here right now. I put 10 test baits out and 8 of them were hit in 3 days. Hopefully it will be the samne when we start baiting for real. smile.gif

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

Remington,
Are you going to the quota area this year or are you hunting the mora area? I will be using kelly's "stellar" services this year in area 13. If you are in the mora area I can give you a place to put a bear bait or two pending if the neighbors nephew hunts his land? Let me know..

Scouting report:
I seen my first bear this month on 35 next to the harris wayside rest. Must of been going over to raid the garbages. Unfortunatly it was on the side of the road and it was'nt moving. Yes it was road kill. Looked to be about 150 lb range. Around my place they have been laying low with the heat and they woods is full of food so you don't see the garbage bears much.

TIP:
DNR Clinic
I brought my first time bear hunter "dad" to to a clinic last night and would recommend to anyone experienced or new to go! They did and incredible job! Expained some history, had the local CO there, spent a solid 2 hrs on how to hunt them. 3 guys and they pretty much spelled out how to be succesfull at bear hunting. All for the cost of $5 bucks.

------------------
"Hey Nice Rack"
www.bucketrack.com

Thanks for the offer Sand Burr, but I will be hunting in area 44. I have a friend up there helping me out. Really looking forward to it. I'll keep you updated if you keep me updated too.
Thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I've got a freind from out of state who will be hunting around Hill City Sept 14-20. Is looking for someone to set up bait stations. I don't have his email handy but if anyone does this or knows someone who does in the area please email me so I can pass it on to him.

Thanks.
Borch
[email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

BEAR BAIT FOR SALE---2+ LB LOAVES OF CINNAMON EGG BREAD...LOOKS AND SMELLS LIKE FRENCH TOAST..SMELLS VERY SWEET...IS FRESH NOW. .25 CENTS A LOAF--HAVE PLENTY SO STOCK UP!! I LIVE IN THE ELK RIVER AREA AND AM AVAILABLE MOST EVENINGS--SEND E-MAIL REPLY TO [email protected]
GOOD LUCK GUYS

Just dropping a note that if your still thinking about getting a rack now is the time! I have a few saved to bring up to Bear camp and the rest of my stock is going fast!!!!! I would like to see the fishing Minnesota guys/gals get one. Ice fishing is right around the corner! and yes without a www.bucketrack.com your buckets do hate you!

Sand Burr

------------------
"Hey Nice Rack"
www.bucketrack.com

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a miserable hunt, yesterday. Baited public land- mistake! As I sat in stand I could hear people talking. Found 13 vehicles in a 2 mile stretch of road.
Baits were getting hit, but with that pressure, i'm sure they will be nocturnal.
Problem- I am a teacher- so cannot start over baiting- cause I would be confined to weekends.

So I want some help(zone 51). I can offer plenty of bait in return( I have over 400lbs of candy and unlimited supply of pastries)or turkey hunt land access/quide. I have taken large gobblers(+23lbs) on a piece of private property for the last seven years.

I put my 40 hours in on the stand. It was on public land and the bears were moving through and taking dumps on the trail, but not interested at all in my bait. I pulled out the secret weapon bait on Wednesday, and they hit at 2 am but didn't eat much. I decided to call it quits for now hoping that the hazelnuts and acorns are gone soon, but I don't think that is going to happen. All 5 of my other spots are untouched and they aren't even coming through. Any suggestions? I am in area 44.

Here's one fer the bear hunters........

Fred had just picked up his new gun, and
it was just in time, cuz the bear season
opened the very next day.

Up before light, Fred got out to his stand,
eager to "put some fur under the sights"!!
Sure enough, out came a nice black boar,
and BOOOOMMM went the gun. Fred climbed down
and was admiring his kill,when he felt a tap
on his shoulder. He turned and found himself
looking at an even bigger bear!! "You just
made a big mistake",said the bear,"Because
that was my cousin". "Now you have two choices, I can tear you to peices, or we can
have sex" So Fred thinks it over, and decides to go the latter of the two.

Well, after all is done and said, Fred is very angry and vows revenge on the big
bear. The next hunting season finally arrives
and there is Fred on stand, waiting for the big bear. A big smile comes over Fred's face
as he sees the big bear come into sight.....
KAAABBOOOMMM goes his gun. Gottcha he goes,
and comes down to gloat.Again he feels a tap
on his shoulder. He turns to see an enormous
grizzly,towering over him. "HUGE MISTAKE,
THAT WAS MY UNCLE YOU JUST KILLED" he snarls.
"I'll give you two choices,I maul you real bad then eat you alive,or we can have really
rough sex" Again, Fred goes with the second
choice.

After a lengthy stay in the hospital, Fred is livid and claims he won't rest until he evens things up.He even gets a bigger gun!!
Hunting season arrives, and you guessed it.
There is ole Fred with his new gun,revenge
in his eyes,on stand, eyes glued to the
baitpit. As if on key, the big grizzly shows
up. Fred takes careful aim, and BOOOMMM, down goes the grizzly.Fred hops down and starts to jump up and down, all the while hollering how he got even and all. Then
comes another tap on his shoulder......
He slowly turns and finds the largest
Kodiak bear he has ever seen!!!!!!

The thing is gigantic,and it slowly gets right in his face and says,"You don't come
here just for the hunting, do you bud ??"

Don't get discouraged just yet, as far as public land goes I hunt them all the time. Most people will give up fast and you will see just a few by next week. Try to hunt during the week if you can. It was just to hot for them last week that was probably the reason for the night time hits. My brother and I hunt together and a couple of seasons ago he was sick and coughed loudly all night on the stand. I could hear him easily every 15 min. or so and thougt it was worthless to be there, but belive it or not I had a bear come in. It Did not seem to bother him. If you have bear hitting and then stop, move your bait as little as 50 feet. Keep a variaty of bait to keep them coming back because they may get sick of your bait and look else where. Hope for cool.gif weather.