• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bear Hunting

Rick

mnwild, use it, the smell of fermented fruit is completely different than that of rotting meat.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Remington

• emtbucket

• Sand Burr

• mnwild14

EMTBucket, I did get your email, I will write back soon. But the 26th isn't a Thursday, so I need to know what day for sure. I luckily didn't scare the bear. He hit the next morning at 9am and cleared it out again. I have a skunks and coons visiting a lot, any comments on what to do? Should I just ignore that? I am going to put out a bunch on Saturday or Sunday again and then leave the area until Wednesday morning. Hopefully this will work.

Remington, don't worry about the little critters they don't eat to much and if Mr.Bear doesn't want them there he will chase them off. more often than not, they usually come in at different times. It will be either the 20th or the 24th won't know for sure till sat night.don't know where the 26th came from must of been daydreaming.

[This message has been edited by emtbucket (edited 08-16-2001).]

Well I put out more bait on Thursday and checked it today. The bear hit within 30 minutes of me leaving the sight. He is staying close and moving in as soon as I start banging my buckets on the way out. We stocked quite a bit out there today, and should be good until Wednesday. When we were leaving the bait, walking south towards my stand area, the bear was there, probably circling us to get downwind of the bait. It was pretty thrilling considering it was a noon and unexpected. I don't think he/she is that warry of my scent, probably a little guy, as he thrashed away before we could see him. He plopped into the creek and stayed there, so we moved out then. I am going to have to trick this bear into thinking I am leaving somehow. I don't have a second guy to walk out for me on opener, but I do have a couple ideas to try.
Well good luck to al!

Has anyone else heard about a warning for handling bear because of an anthrax outbreak? I know for a fact that I heard this on the radio this weekend but can't find anymore info about it.

The anthrax warning is for northwestern Min Bears might be infected by eating dead cows that where already infected.Most anthrax typically enters the body through a open sore or a cut but can be treated with antibiotics...

I'm hunting in section 44 and only have one place to place bait because it's convient for a friend of mine. The problem is that the people next door got new shotguns and have been shooting clays all of a sudden. To make things even worse, they have a gravel pit and are now running trucks back and forth. I have not had a bear come in yet. Only a few weeks earlier there were 9 going through his yard hitting his bird feeders for black oil sunflower seeds.
Anyone know of someone that can help me out with a spot or 2 to hunt yeat this year?

I have plenty of bait to be put out.
My main concern is to give my 15 year old son a good chance at a bear. He has yet to get a deer and thinks he's nothing but bad luck. I'd like nothing more than to prove him wrong.

Help! Help!

Terry Hagstrom
Terry's Guide Service
fishingmn.com/terry

any success stories? I shot a 280lbs field dressed just west of sandstone. also looking for a good taxidermist in the area.

Sand Burr,
Congratulations. :-) There have been some coming in around here but they have really slowed down on hitting the baits hard. SATCHMO doubled up one night with a black and a chocolate. Lisa on her first bear hunt of her life got a great cinnamon with a real nice pelt. Jim and his Dad took home 3 with Jim getting two and beating his Dad by about 100 pounds. grin.gif Nothing over 300 pounds has come in yet in this area that I have heard of. I've heard a rumor of one over 500 pounds coming by Solway.
Terry,
I wish you were looking for a spot in 41 as 44 is a long ways away from me. Very few things in life are as rewarding as putting a big smile on a kids face.

------------------
Waskish Minnow Station
218-647-8652

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Kirby Sorenson shot a 500+ pound bear on his first bear hunt this past week. I believe he was hunting by Solway with his Dad and brothers.

They have been told it will be a Boone and Crockett bear once the skull dries. His dad told me the head was massive.

I missed at 10yards with a rifle! He came out directly behind me and I shot below him with a bad angle and position. Many more coming back! Pretty good bear spot for no-quota area!

REMINGTON,
Are you anywhere near the grasston, sandstone area? Just wondering what part of the non-quota area you are hunting.

I am closer to Mora. It is a good spot on public land. Unfortunately, some jerk started a bait late that cuts the bear(s) off before they get to mine. I hear them every time I am there9less than 50 yards away). I have had to do tricks and work the wind just to get a chance. The guy hasn't hunted the spot yet, he just baits and they come in every night at the same time before dark. I am almost tempted to sit over his bait because it is too thick to put the sneak on. If I don't become successful this weekend or next, I think this spot is done due to small game season coming up.

I hope you get'em before he does Remington.
You could always cut him off with a little of that natural human urine scent over the top of his bait pile. Our baits have been real hit and miss around here since I shot mine.

Sand Burr,
I am a taxidermist, I have 5 years apprentice training, and have done it as a hobby for the last 4 years. If you are interested let me know. I am near Cambridge.

Just dropped it off at Nature Scenes Taxidermy (tyson mann). Thanks for the offer though. I grew up on the east side of Cambridge. Small world.

Don't let the fustration get to ya. I know easy for me to say I alreay got one. Something has happened around this mora area. My guess is its a combination of bow hunters and acorns dropping. Let you bait dry up and hit it again on the weekend of the 22 or 29. Wish I could help but my baits around here are not getting hit.

• 2 months later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Any nice rugs out there from 2001?

• 1 month later...

There's lots of rugs in the taxidermy shops, and we look ahead to another season....The DNR has a big problem on thier hands....the Black Bear population in Minnesota continues to rise, despite the DNR's lengthening of the season and even doubleing the harvest limit. What to do next? Increasing permit numbers in quota area would probably just increase hunter competition and result in less bears hitting baits at shootable hours. There's plenty hunters, maybe to many in some areas, these hunters need to harvest more bears....increase the success ratio....from 25-30% to 50-70%....how? learn more about your quarry, and avoid other hunters bait areas. Get away from the crowd, spread your baits out....I've had bears, (a bear) hitting two different baits that were a mile or more apart, as the crow flies, 3 to 5 miles by road....The other option is a split season....add a spring hunt and decrease the pressure, it may also add a few new hunters...less pressure will mean more huntable bears and higher success rates...What do you think?

------------------
Is there a limit on these things?
Lichen Fox

I've got about 200 gallons of grease, a freezer and a half full of pastry's, I've gone through all my timers and have been printing topo and photo maps of new bait sites....Isn't anyone out there thinking about bear hunting??? Come on guys....lets role!

------------------
Lichen Fox

Lichen Fox,

Yeah, I can't wait until next year! This last fall was my first year bear hunting and I got one in Sept. The meat is SO GOOD! It is better than venison, and we love venison. I couldn't talk my dad into going last fall so I hooked up with some of our old deer hunting buddies. It was a first time for all of us. We worked hard (at least I think we did). Lots of scouting, baiting, talking to locals, driving, bargaining with grocery stores, restaurants, etc. I have a whole new respect for bear hunters----at least the serious ones. It was very satisfying to get one after putting in all those hours. After eating some of it, my dad can't wait until next year. He's all fired up to go now. I am saving coffee cans for my honey burns and saving all of my bacon grease from my breakfasts. Bear hunting is my new favorite hobby!------

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone heard of using sugar beets for bear bait? or anyone try sugar beets? thanks for any replys

has anyone ever tried sugar beets for bear bait before?or heard of anyone using them? thanks good hunting

[This message has been edited by bobbersgone (edited 04-04-2002).]

• 2 weeks later...

ATV Bucket Rack

Are you sick of riding with a pile of greas between you legs? Check out these racks and free yourself. I am a bear hunter and we would not survive without our baiting buckets. Don't worry about the price because youll spend more than that baiting this year.

http://www.geocities.com/bucketrack/pg1bucketrack.html

• 3 weeks later...

I searched the internet high and low, and I couldn't find anything.
I do remember reading though, that the largest minnesota black bear was around 600 lbs, dunno the skull measurements, or length.

I think it could be me that has the biggest black bear in mn....just kidding. I arrowed one in 2000 that tipped the scales at 534 #'s. He was a 8 1/2 years old. The rug squared about 7 1/2 feet. The skull scored 18 15/16, kind of dissapointing considering the size of the animal. I don't know what the all time MN record is, but I do know that the largest taken by archery scored 22 0/16 . It was harvested from pine county in 1995....ranks 8th in the world by archery....can't wait till sept.

------------------
Lichen Fox

Check out the Boone and Crockett Club site or the Pope & Young site. It should give you skull measurements at least.... Otherwise check out the MN DNR site....good luck!!!

------------------
Lichen Fox