• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Hunting

Rick

CREEK KID,
IN THE BRAINERD AREA THERE IS A GROOP THAT SHOOTS 3D'S ONE WEEKEND A MONTH. THEY SET UP THE TARGETS ON A TRAIL SO IT IS MORE LIKE YOUR IN THE FEILD. IF I REMEMBER RITE, THERE ARE ABOUT 20 TO 25 TARGETS SET UP AND THE WALK AROUND THE TRAILS LASTS ABOUT 45 MIN TO AN HR. I CAN GET MORE INFO IF YOU WOULD LIKE. LET ME KNOW.

HAPPY HUNTING
DUCK

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fivebucks

• tjhunter

• Grabs

• Shorelunch

Duckj, thanks for the post. It's a little too far north for me. Maybe there are others on this forum that would be interested. I am in SE MN and 90% percent of the shoots I've gone to are in WI, just across the river. I was looking for info more around the Rochester area. Thanks anyway.

K', back to the hunting with pistols smile.gif

since I'm using a single action, do the deer get spooked when they hear the click of the hammer being pulled back? I usually use a .45-70 single shot and the click from that hammer doesn't bother them, However, the one from the pistol is considerably louder. Or is there any to get it modified so that the click of the hammer isn't quite so loud?

• 2 weeks later...

Creek Kid
Pick up an Outdoor News mag. In the back they advertise archery shoots for the state. There is a range in Winona that has a shoot every summer, but I don't know when. Chilakoot, in Somerset, WI has a shoot a month and they have a great range. It's worth the drive.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any info on the metro hunt in the twin cities? I just moved into Savage and I want to bow hunt down by Rice Lake. I need info as to wether you can get bonus tags or what. I dont want to waste my rifle tag. Anyone read about the new tag they are selling here in Minnesota. It is a tag that you buy and get a buck and a doe tag.

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE A DIFFERENT UNDERSTANDING OF THE ALL SEASON DEER LICENSE.YOU CAN TAKE TWO DEER 1 BUCK AND 1 DOE.THE BUCK CAN BE TAKEN BY ANY OF THE THREE METHODS.THE DOE CAN BE HARVESTED
BY ARCHERY OR MUZZLELOADER AND BY FIREARMS ONLY IF SELECTED FOR A ANTERLESS PERMIT.

That's the understanding I have of the license also. I don't believe you can take 2 does under the license no matter what, at least that's the way I interpret the regs.

Well I found out what the All Season tag is! It is a tag you buy for $76. It will give you a lisense to take a buck with your rifle and a doe with either your bow or muzzleloader. You can not take the doe during the rifle season, it has to be during the archery or muzzleloader season. However if you put in for a doe permit for the rifle season and are selected in the lotto then you can take the two deer. Either two does or one of each, buck and a doe.

I for one plan to do this, but I still would like to know if the area around Rice Lake and Savage has management permits for bow hunters. Anyone know what is open to hunting for deer down there?

I am going to have to get the low down fron the DNR office. I was hoping for the best with this years scenerio. I would like to take a deer with my bow, and then take another with my rifle and possibly with a muzzleloader. It is always nice to have the option of either buck or doe when you are out to up the odds. I meat hunt more than anything. What are the options for extra bonus doe tags here in the Scott County area while bowhunting?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what was E-mailed to me from the DNR:
The All Season Deer license is for residents only and will cost $75, and
will allow the hunter to take two deer, (one legal buck and a legal
antlerless deer) with this license.

While its technically only one license, it will have two
license/registration squares and tags for each deer.

The deer may be taken during the archery, firearms (except 3b) and
muzzleloader seasons.

The hunter can use the antlerless deer portion during the archery and
muzzleloader season, but only with an antlerless permit during the
regular firearms season. Therefore, a customer will need to purchase an
all season deer license prior to the antlerless deadline and apply for a
antlerless permit to be able to take the antlerless deer during the
firearms season. (note that no Zone 3B firearms hunting on this
license, similar to the all season buck license)

Hope this helps. Thank you for your interest.

Jennie
DNR Info Center
651-296-6157 or
1-888-646-6367
[email protected]
Hope this clears up everthin!!

------------------
F-STOP

• 4 weeks later...

It is legal to bow hunt west of Eagle Creek by Rice lake in Savage. The entire Wilkie Unit is also open to Archery hunting. The Wilkie unit is just to the west of Rice Lake. Louisville Swamp is also open to Archery Hunting.

I personally recommend Louisville over the Wilkie unit or Rice Lake ... There seems to be alot more deer and fewer hunters. A mountain bike rigged to hold your bow is priceless in these areas.

I have been hunting those areas for over 10 years ... I know them pretty well .. if anyone needs some info email me at [email protected]

Does anyone know of any hunter training clases in the Lonsdale area??? My soon to be 12 year old daughter wants to go dear hunting this year!!!!!!! (HEEEEHAAAAA) But she needs to go thru gun saftey classes first.. This will also drive her younger brother crazy that she will go before him....Thanks fishtrap3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm not sure exactly where you're at but here's a link to the firearms safety info at the DNR's web site. It has several classes listed and additional info to track down what you're looking for.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms/index.html

Good Luck!

I am looking for some input on a low power variable scope. I need something down to 1 or 1.5 and the upper end isn't a big problem,..maybe 4-6,...what ever is available.

Does anyone out there use one, or have one that they might recommend? I want to keep it in the average price range,..probably shouldn't spend more on the scope than I did on the rifle,...any input?

Thanks

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 08-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 08-08-2002).]

• 2 weeks later...

D-MAN, You might want to check out a Weaver Grand Slam 1.5 X 5 I got one this summer seems like a real nice scope for aroound $300.

Looking for some info. on climbing stands. How do they work? I am a bit ignorant on these stands. I assume you climb using the stand but do you also climb the stand down each time? Do they only work good on straight trees with no branches like Aspen or what happens when you reach a branch? Lastly, what are some good reliable brands for a 200 lb person without spending too much? I appreciate any input as I think I need one of these come about Sept. 14th.
Fivebucks.

Fivebucks,

I use a Warren&Sweat Imperial climbing tree stand (only 22lbs). You have to climb up and down a straight, no low limb, tree. If you find a good location and the ideal tree has some low limbs, you're going to have to make some modifications on the tree (cut the limbs).

Thanks Basshunter. That's kindof what I thought but I didn't want to look like a total idiot walking in to buy one.

Only about 2 weeks till bow opener. I've been out a little bit looking around but no bruisers patterned yet. Anyone else got the fever?

I wasn't even thinking about deer hunting until last weekend while we were out checking bear baits we saw a fork horn, a six pointer, and two eight pointers all together with a half dozen more further off the road in the woods.

fivebucks - Yeah, I'm getting pumped for bow hunting! Bought a new bow, getting it sited in, putting out some deer stands. Need to get out and knock on a few doors yet, see if I can line up another spot or two. To top it off, I did see two dandy bucks last week, both 10 pointers with a spread wider than their ears!! I know that bucks always look bigger in velvet but these two looked grand!! I'm pumped!

tree lounge portable self climbing treestand for sale==2years old--has bowhuning platform-and bow & gun holders==have couple other portable stands so I never us it--asking 300$
reply to [email protected]

Shorelunch - What type and brand of bow did you buy? The archery shop where you bought it should be able to give you some good tips on shooting and maintenace. In general, wax your string often, replace the string every 3-4 years, listen for rattling/tighten the screws periodically, use a graphite lubricant on the wheels.

Shooting tips - practice, practice, practice until you have the pins set and you can put three arrows in a 6 inch pie plate at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards. When you hit the yardage where you can't get your arrows in a pie plate, then you're beyond your range. I like to take those 30 and 40 yard practice shots, even though I'll never shoot a deer at that range, is because when you move back to 20 yards, it seems easier. Then practice from an elevated stand and from a sitting position. Go to a 3-D shoot, its great practice at realistic targets. Join an archery league this winter. Continue practicing thru out the season.

Accuracy is more important than poundage, you need to be able to put your arrow in the heart/lung area - at a side angle a 50 pound bow will go right thru a whitetail. More poundage is only more important on bigger boned animals like elk. More poundage does flatten out your trajectory, making range estimation less critical but that should not be the determing factor. If you start pointing your bow up to draw back or your shoulder hurts, you're shooting too many pounds. Too many pounds gets worse when its cold out and you've been sitting a few hours and you have lots of clothes on. Accuracy is more important than poundage. Settle on a weight that you're comfortable shooting and holding, becasue that will also affect what type and weight of arrow and broadheads that you buy.

Good luck!

I am spankin' new to archery/deer hunting and bought a new bow (w/accessories) over the weekend. Love shooting and can't wait til Sept. 14.

Does anyone have any pointers on bow maintenance? Shooting tips? I have it set at 50 lbs. With practice, should I keep uping towards 60 or 70 lbs?

Shorelunch,
I'ld look into the license thing further. If you buy it before the season starts you can buy it the day before, however, I believe that once the season is open there is a 2 day wait period. I don't have my regs. here but I think it is more than the day before. I'll try to look that up for you. As for the processing, it isn't hard at all to do it yourself (with a buddy works better). I don't know any processors up by you but make sure you ask if you get your own deer back. Years ago I got some pretty foul tasting deer that spoiled a bit and I know it wasn't mine. Most shops should also let you sample the jerky etc.
Good stickin.
Fivebucks.