• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Hunting

Rick

Hi all you deer hunters, heres a note to help anyone looking for a great and resonably priced range to sight in thier rifle,pistol or slug gun.Beaverbrook gun club is open to the public every weekend in October , $7.00 per gun,targets,spotting scope,knowledgable support all included.Bore sighting also available for a little extra $2.00 I think?
I was out there to day to volunteer for them and it was steady flow of shooters, but next few weekends will get very busy. I recommend getting there Sunday or next weekend early or around noon are the best times to avoid a line.Last year on the last weekend we had over 200 guns go through the range thanks to good weather and sun.
I am a member, but recieve no money for this post .Just want to help others find a great range to shoot at.
Directions are ,hwy65(central) north to Klondike Drive about 1 mile north of co rd 22, right (east) about 1 mile to palisaide st. watch for sign on the left (north) side for the club, follow road back through gates and into the parking lot.
Thanks and good luck hunting, Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 10-14-2001).]

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fivebucks

• tjhunter

• Grabs

• Shorelunch

Benny,

Do you know if Beaverbrook will be open at all in November? I'm hunting a later season out west and may want to shoot in early November. Thanks!

huskminn, no Beaverbrook is only open to the public in October.If your in a pinch though, and I have a free weekend in November, I would be willing to meet you up there or some where between Coon Rapids and the range.I can bring in up two quest, they have to pay $5.00 per gun . Let me know if you need to work something out.I will be up north for zone one opener, but may be down here the following weekend and posibly the last weekend depending on opener success.
I don't want to make this an every weekend deal for the whole twin cities, but a few people now and then, just to have a person to shoot and chat with while the barrel cools.

Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 10-16-2001).]

I heard this today I want to hear this and tell me if it is true. A person in the state can buy a Multizone Tag (Bucks Only) yet can put in for up to 3 intenstive harvest permits? If this is true why doesn't everyone do this? It is a guarenteed doe permit (3) if you buy the extra tags which I was told are half price.

Benny,

That's a very generous offer! I can understand your unwillingness to extend it to the entire state.

Hopefully, I will find the time to shoot prior to November, but I am waiting on the delivery of a new scope. I will certainly contact you if I'm running out of time.

Thanks!

Need some help. My brother and a friend of his are going out hunting this year and it has been about 10 yrs for either of them cleaning a buck. Can anyone give me a web site or book at the library he can get a hold of to have directions for him in the field. Does not want to tarnish the meat of course.

Thanks-
Broncosguy

• 2 weeks later...

Benny,

I'm sure you are gone or getting ready to go for Zone 1 opener, but, I'd like to discuss the possibility of taking you up on your generous offer. E-mail me if you can: [email protected]

Thanks and good luck!

I sent you an e-mail, but in case it gets lost in cyber space, I could meet you there at 9:00AM.I will check my e-mail in the morning around 8:30AM and this thread also.
Leaving for the north country at noon, have to drop off the boat for winter at Bradford.
Good luck hunting!
Benny

Does anyone know if it is against the law or not to bring a child with to your deer stand that is not toting a gun, just wants to sit with dear old Dad for a couple of hours to see if she likes it?

I hope not! My son was out with me last year at 10 and will be out tomorrow at 11. I've never tried to push things on him but if he wants to go, and I can keep him warm, I bring him along. Last year I used my doe tag when he was with because he wanted to see the whole thing. he helped track after the shot, and found the deer 40 yards away. He even helped hold legs while field dressing. Talk about making me a proud papa! Many people know I've taken him and no one has said anything yet, nor have I read anything to the contrary. Good luck! - Gadget

Does anyone know what the state land is called just east of Cross Lake? I believe it may be Cross Lake refuge. The recreation compass shows the area to be state land, but I dont think it is "state forest". And the hunting regulations handbook lists the area for public hunting. I just have no idea what it's called, so getting information is a little tough. Thanks.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY GOOD JERKY OR STIX RECIPE THEY WOULD LIKE TO SHARE ITS TIME TO FIRE UP THE SMOKER

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Rippinlip,

There is nothing that should keep you from taking a youngster out. Only reference the Hunting rules make to this is that nonliscensed people may not aid in the taking of game(i.e. shooting one for you, making drives for you...). I've been taking mine for years.

I have been waiting to hear some reports from buck season. How did everybody do?

Or did you guys leave the moster bucks for those of us who are going doe season? smile.gif

Hey Jeff, nice to hear from you! Yeah its a sickening feeling to not be able to take home a deer that you have shot. I had it happen to me three years ago, and I still think about what else I could have done to find it.

Are you bow hunting? If so let me know, I had a nice buck eating apples in the back of the house a couple weeks ago, and I didn't hear any shooting this first season, and if he makes it threw doe season he'll probably be back.

I be in the woods early saturday hoping for a really big buck, and a small doe for my management tag.

Good luck to all!!!

(Jeff you'll have to stop down check out the work Toms Taxidermy did for me.)

Hey Sarge,

You probably already heard, but my buck hunt was a bummer! I lost a dandy buck.... 4 1/2 hours of searching yielded nothin' but an empty feeling in my gut. I guess it happens... but it was my first experience losing a deer I hit.

Overall, the SE Minnesota hunt was in one word..... TERRIBLE! The warm weather certainly hampered the daylight deer activity. I have talked to a number of deer hunters, and not one has had much positive to say about the 3A season.

My guess is you have quite a few bucks left out there for your season... and I have no doubt that you will see plenty of chasin' goin' on!

Good LUCK!!!

Say-Tree

P.S. Maybe you should hang out in Jim's backyard!!!!!!!!

Just had to say our deer hunt was a blast, I went the multi-buck so I had more time with my daughters, though I did not need it. We shot my buck at about 7:00 on opening day. I was done so I had to wait til 4B to hunt with the rest of the party. Later that day all of my daughters and I were driving around to see how some others were doing and we talked to the game warden and he even said the success was real low around our area. So I considered myself lucky to be blessed with a deer that early in the hunt.
Did get to see several more deer on he second season including 2 big 8-pointers that our party bagged.

Is the muzzle loader season open state wide in Minnesota?

If a person wanted to get started in muzzle loading, what would a good BUT not expensive rig be?

Do the people who go muzzle loading have a easier time finding a place to hunt?

This was my first year of not hunting in the last 40 years, but it is hard to hunt with a group who goes out the night before opening and gets loaded and don't want to get up the opening morning to hunt,maybe I would have better luck in the later season.

The muzzleloader only season opens Saturday Nov. 24th. and runs until Dec. 9th.(open sights only)I just recently bought a used muzzleloader so I'm still new to it myself, but you should have an idea of what type of muzzleloader your looking for. (Flintlock, Percussion, or Inline) There is a wide price range, so you shouldn't have any problem finding one that fits your budget. You'll have to determine whats not to expensive. I haven't hunted with mine yet, maybe next year. Gander Mountain sells a Muzzleloading book which I found very helpfull. I think it was about $20.

Good Luck,
Joe

Well we did our part to help control our local deer. Four guys in my party and we had 4 deer by noon. With the temps being so warm we thought it best to cut them up right away.

Went out agian sunday to try and fill some some management tags. We didn't get any good shots(I missed one I should have hit).

We will try agian for awhile on turkey day!

we have snow shuold make for some good muzzleload hunting for the next week or so has anybody been doing anygood Ive seen three bucks but no good shoots yet keep or powder dye

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I was just curious if anyone had any big buck stories or reports to throw out into the forum for reading.

Last Year I shot a 200 pound 5 pointer. 200 yards away at 5:00 pm the final weekend. If not for the 10 power leopold, I would never have seen the rack.

Ely lake expert

Just curious, I was told at a local Gander mountain that a 10 millimeter pistol is legal for deer hunting in minnesota. I looked in the regs, but all they listed was the .357, the .41 mag, and the .44 mag. So, that didn't help out a whole lot, also, if the 10 millimeter is legal, would the .45 acp also be legal? I'm looking for a sidearm to carry to my stand so I don't have to waste spendy .45-70 ammo when I put em down.

Yes the 10MM is a legal gun, on the other caliber I am no help. The regulations should state also the case length of the round you want to shoot(what requirements are). Regs. go by caliber and case lengths.

I looked it up, the .45 acp isn't a legal round, the 10 mm is under the 1.285 inch regulation, but it got in under a exceptionary provision.

• 3 weeks later...

Any bowhunters on this forum that attend 3D archery shoots? Are there any coming up?