• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Small Munsterlanders?

Fish- N- Hunt

I was just curious if anyone owns or knows anyone that owns one of these dogs. I am going to buy a dog in spring, and am leaning towards one of these dogs. I am planning on using it for pheasant and ducks, if anyone could help me out or give me any input on another possible breed to look into will be helpful. I am not looking at getting an enormous dog though.

Thanks for the help

Fish- N- Hunt

I'm new to this forum, but have enjoyed all the different types of topics.
Just curious, what is making you lean towards a Munsterlander?
If you are going to do both upland and waterfowl, a lab would be an ideal way to go. If you are worried about the size, many breeders have labs that are in that 55-65 lb range.
If you are looking for an ideal small dog that can do both upland and watefowl, but can live in the house..look at the field bred English Cockers. They get to be about 30 - 35 lbs, have all the drive and desire as a lab does. We have a 1 1/2 year old female and bought a 2nd one at Game Fair this year.

My older brother owns a pair of them. They're great working dogs and friendly as all heck and great house and kid dogs. They aren,t big enough to retreive geese, but they're terrors on pheasants. He's going to try them on ducks this fall. They love water so much that the first time he had one in the boat while fishing, it jumped out to try and retreive a Walleye he was reeling in. He sold one of his pups to a guy who works on a game farm and it has found and retrieved literally hundreds of pheasants and quail. The guy says its one of the best dogs he's ever hunted. They're hard to find but the breeding is controlled so people aren't breeding junk dogs.

I know a person in Marshall, MN who has a breeding pair. They are incredible hunters with more heart than any lab I have ever seen. Breeding of these dogs is highly controlled which means they are pretty expensive. Very hard to come by, usually a breeder has commitments a year BEFORE they breed. If you can get one or two you will not be disappointed.

From what I have been told and what I have read on a couple of these posts, I think they have a better disposition than a GSP. I don't mean to offend anyone who owns a GSP, but I had experiences with GSP where they have had over aggressive behaviors. The reason I like Small Munsterlanders is that they are suppose to be very obediant, friendly, smaller frame and overall good dispostion. I have considered field bred labs, but my hunting buddies pointers don't run well with labs. The labs tend to be a little slower. I hope you all know where I am coming from, No Offense.

Thanks for the help

Fish- N- Hunt

Does anyone know if there are any breeders in MN.
or a nearby State for Small Munsterlanders
I don't want to drive along ways or buy a dog sight unseen

Thanks
Fish-N-Hunt

Hi There,

I own two SM's and we will be having a litter next January or February. We have a female from the US with great breeding, and our male is from Germany with internationally known lines. They are great dogs, and do very well with children. I would be happy to visit with you and work our dogs in the field so you can see what they can do. I will be reserving puppies, so if you are interested, I would be happy to talk to you. We will be hunting in southern Minnesota for pheasant soon, and despite some people's opinion, they can retrieve geese, but it requires a lot of effort from the dogs. I have my dogs tested in NAVHDA, and do adhere to SMCNA breeding guidelines. I don't belong to the SMCNA anymore, because they have become very politicized and grandiose. These dogs will steal your heart with their intensity in the field, and their good nature in the home. Our male, while being tested in the NA test for NAVHDA had the fastest tracking that the very experienced judge had ever seen. They have incredible noses, but it sometimes takes a couple of years to develop a really strong point. I can send you photos of our dogs if you would like. My dad is having a litter next spring as well, and both sets of pups should be available sometime in March or April.

Sincerely,

Aimee Martin
(218) 328-5987