• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dog Diabetes

paintbrush

My vet just diagonised that my 10 1/2 year old Lab has diabetes. He is keeping her for a day or two to see how she comes around on insulin.
I'm wondering if any one out here has had a dog with diabetes, and if so can fill me in on what I can expect from her in the way in needs in the future.
My vet will fill me in on what to do with her,but if someone can tell me what they went through with there dog it would be much welcomed info to me.
Thanks in advance!

I had a dog with it I had him on insulin for 6-8 months everyday you need to give them the shot also there is special dog food they need to eat "canned dog food" and its very expensive I forgot how much money it cost for everything a month but it was alot like $300+ a month after the food,shots,dr visits,tests but to be honest with you I wish I put him down the day I found out he had diabates they go blind and their body pretty much goes to mush Its really bad watching your dog slowly die and go crazy and thats what my dog did I wont get into details but his last days were not good I know its hard but to be humaine put the dog down now when its still early Im really sorry to hear about your dog and this is bringing up some bad memories but you wanted the truth on what happens to dogs with diabates I had a cockapoo,cocker spaniel poodle mix.

Too bad to hear. I agree that the food has to change and it is not cheap. The meds will cost too but it will all depend on the way the dog reacts. The quality of life issue mentioned is a big deal. It is a very hard thing to do but it is our job to look out for our dogs. Just hang in there for a little while and see how things pan out.

If it is managable for a while great. You know your dog and will be able to tell if things are not working out.

Good luck. Hope it turns out for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

It is with great sadness,a few tears, and a very heavy heart that have to say that I had to put my dog down yesterday.
Her problem was cause by a pancreas infection.The infection caused a hole in the pancreas that she could not overcome.
The pancreas makes the natural insulin in the dog and that infection at first made my vet think she was diabetic do to the high blood suger. He figured it out the next day.
I took her up to the vet last tuesday and never got her back home.That bites!
She was my most loyal and best friend, and I'm going to miss her greatly.

[This message has been edited by paintbrush (edited 09-02-2004).]

Sorry to hear of your loss, Paintbrush. It's such a difficult decision but know that you did what was best for your freind.

Nick