• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting Buddy going under knife.

mrkastni

Hey guys, this seems like a forum to vent this a bit. My 3.5year old beagle is currently having surgery to remove a plastic shopping bag from her belly. Not sure what got into her, the bag actually contained clothes for my daughter, not food. Just another thing to keep out of reach of the animals in your family I guess.

I am worried about her, but the vet says it is a pretty common surgery. Anyone else have dogs that have attacks of poor judgement? I feel like I am as much to blame, but I would have placed that as way low on a dog's priority list of chew toys.....

Found a pair of thong panties in my dogs kennel after he stayed with my sisters. I think he threw them up after consuming them, at least they came out this way.

I have to say he does have good taste in panties, Victoria Secret thong!

A friend of mine from work brought home their new baby from the hospital and their lab ate the little hat the baby was wearing.His vet said that it was a common thing.

Thanks for the entertaining stories and well wishes. Vet just called.. Two and a half hours of surgery and we have recovered the bag and fixed a hernia.

After two weeks of recovery, she should be back on her feet and looking to chase the bunnies again this fall.

A lot of human friends have come and gone, but the canine buddies make the biggest impression, don't they?

Mike

Hand towel went through my young vizsla pup. Had to stand on the end to get it all out. Very sheepish look on the dogs face.

His mother also liked lipstick and vaseline. She downed and licked clean a whole pound jar. It was winter and cold so when she had to go out she went. Made her own snowman! Stood straight up!!

both those dogs are gone now so even though you have one going in for surgery you will be able to laugh about it later. Good luck

Just went thru an episode last week where the 8 month old pup pulled a bag of peanuts (used for birdfeeding) off the shelf in the garage and then her and the 7 year old lab scarfed down as much as they wanted. The pup came out fine - it all passed thru her - but the old dog got bound up. After two days of watching her go out into the grass and accomplish nothing, I took her to the vet. She ended up getting an enema. Nows shes fine.

Puts a whole new light on crunchy peanut butter!!!

This may seem like a dumb question, but how do you limit the dog's activity during the recovery time? If I put her in her crate, she will try to dig out of it. (past experience) Beagles are pretty high strung by nature and this one will be pretty excited to come home. The said it would be ok to transfer her to the kennel in the same facility for 7-10 days or so. Then they can monitor recovery and she will be closer to "back to normal" before se gets home. Sound like it would be worth the extra stay?

She is doing great, and the whole tract seems to be working..

Mike

Not sure if this helps but in order to calm my dog while recovering from healing from a sprained foot/knee my vet said to give her Benedryl. It made her sleepy so she was less likely to run around and be active. My dog is about 75 lbs and I gave her 1 pill of the adult benedryl. I later switched to 2 pills of the children's benedryl as it is half the dose of the adult and comes in a chewable form. When I switched to the childrens my dog thought it was a treat and like eating them. Not sure if this helps or not, but if you think that might work I would check with your vet first before giving her that.