• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

hunting pup hopefully

chaser

I just bought a lab for hunting any good books or tips anyone willing to share about how to get started training also very timid of shotgun is that natural for a pup

'Game Dog' by Walters is a good one to give the basics on obedience, upland game, waterfowl, basic handling, AND INTRO TO GUNFIRE. Do some research before you ruin your dog! Do you want it cowering away every time you shoot? Of course its natural for it to be scared of loud noises! You need to gradually introduce it to gunfire, and that book and many others will go thru the steps. Good luck!

There have been a few posts on this very subject here in the past few months.I know I have responded and posted a few my self, so if you do a search you should be able to locate them.

I as well recamend the Wolters books, but prefer the DVD's as you can visualy see what they are trying to do with the dog.
Also the Dobbs books and "Ten Minute Retriever " book is good reading.

I do highly recamend a professional trainer to get the pup started.The money will be well spent in frustration,time to train and places to train the pup.

Shore fishing people and beach combers don't take to kindly to a dog splashing into the water after the dummy for to long.

The nieghbors might be green people and call peta if they see a pigeon flapping around the back yard as well.The cops thought it was funny though smile.gif

Benny

chaser, Benny brought up a good point, incorporate some pigeons into your training once your pup gets to that 5-6 month age, it will help make them crazy for birds!! To heck with the pitas, by sacrificing a few pigeons now, you'll save many ducks and pheasants later that your dog finds in the grass and cattails.

Benny, I didn't understand your point about shorefishermen not liking dogs splashing. Don't dog owners and shorefishermen have just as much right to use the lakeshore? my biggest concern when going down to a lake is to not throw the dummy out too far where a boater might not see the swimming dog and hit it. Plus in this land of 10,000 lakes a person should be able to find a quiet spot with some water for dog training - unless you live in SE Minnesota.

Thanks guys, i have been thinking about spending some money and sending him somewhere to get trained, but have not checked into it to much yet, but will be before to long,the pup is only 11 weeks old just teaching him some basics myself right now

BlackJack, yep we have the same rights.I tried to tell the fishermen that but they didn't want to hear it.The beach combers were not happy with me either as Mandy wanted to see who they were and lick them a few times.
I just don't have the time to drive out to Coon Lake or some other lake that is far enough out to get away from the crowds.

As for the peta referance one of my nieghbors called 911 on me, but the CRPD just laughed.They said half the peta bunch would be calling the president on them if they saw how they train some of the K-9 dogs.

They play tug of war to get the dog to hold on tight, this is done in a very rough manner by swinging the dog around to try and dislodge them.

The only reason they even came out was that they have to respond to a call, even if just to show a presence there.

Now if it was a game bird you will want to have the Phesant farms bill of sale or the CO could get you for out of season bird.

But that's why I made those statements.

Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 07-20-2004).]