• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
elrom

Bluffs launch still open?

elrom

I did not get a chance to go this weekend but a friend of mine went and reported that the launch is still open...however fishing wasn't too good...I'm going out this Tuesday...hopefully with the warmer forecast I'll have better luck...I'll post how my day goes.

Thumper

With the forecast of warmer weather next week. Does any know if the boat launch is still open at the Bluffs Regional?

Thumper

Elrom, thanks for reply, I might try it Tuesday too. Then it will time to retire the boat for 2003. Good Luck

elrom

Thumper...sorry for the late update on my Tuesday outing...sometimes work gets in the way!...anyway, I got there around noon with the lower parking area pretty much full (due to Veteran's Day- way to go vets out there, I really appreciate you guys)...fishing was slow...two solid strikes and no fish...talked to others and had the same reponse...did hear however that Monday and the early morning bite was fantastic...I'll try again Sunday early morning and post...

walleyehawk

I just got back from fishing the Croix today, water temp was around 44 degrees. Seems like the further north on the river, the colder the temp by just a bit. Prescott was 44.6 and the Kinnie narrows was 43.5 or so.

Traffic was light today compared to Tuesday. When I arrived down at Prescott, it was just starting to sprinkle and just about everyone left. We went from about 10 boats to 3-4 in a few minutes. I was thinking about leaving but caught a walleye or sauger about every time I gave moving a thought.

I ran up to the Kinnie around 4 thinking maybe that is where everyone went and hopefully the fish were going hot. I was the only one there from 4 to 6. Would have been nice to have company as I caught a 45 inch sturgeon and, being by myself, I had my hands full. First one I ever caught also. Nobody to take a picture. frown.gif

From the people I have spoken to at the access, there are fish being caught but they are not in the usual places for the fall. My experience is you catch one or two here and then move and maybe pick up a few more. Nothing fast and furious but one here and one there.

Thumper

Elrom, I was out Tuesday too. We only fished the afternoon. Saw about 12 boats at Prescott most were jigging. And about 6 boats above the narrows. Looked very slow for all. We pulled cranks and got one 16+ in. Walleye at the bridge and anoether about the same size at the narrows. Really enjoyed the nice day. Talked to a guy at the landing who saw someone blading catch four. The wind and snow on Wednesday did it for me! I winterized the boat and motor. The nice overcast calm of today looks very tempting- but I will work on the honey-do list. ( I am retired, but still cannot get around to finishing it.

elrom

Thumper...started fishing around 7:30am and caught a 15.5" walleye and a 15" sauger within a couple hours at the Kinni Narrows...three other boats were there and it looked like they weren't doing much either...went to a couple other spots but did not have any luck at all...left around 1:00pm...time to put away the boat and alphabetize the accumulated honey-do list!

elrom

walleyehawk...last year was the first year I fall-fished the Croix and it was terrific...caught and released a lot of walleyes and kept some saugers...this year however was different...never hit a spot where I caught more than two...last year, once you caught one you were bound to get 5 or 6 more strikes...not knowing much about the river, do you know why?...fish cycle?...late warmer weather?

wall eyell be

Not sure, but I suspect it was the long dry spell and resultant low water levels.

Bluff's launch was open Sunday. A word to those first time users like myself. DO NOT CUT THE CORNER TOO TIGHT IN OR OUT. You will hear a bad sound...crunch crunch crunch. I cannot even calculate the per fish cost as I got none. Not a good end to the day.

walleyehawk

Yes, once they took the harbor markers out it is alot more challenging to enter the river from the harbor. You really have to stick to the middle of the entry. Also, it looks like they have done some earth movement on the arm of the harbor to bring the height up.

I miss those harbor lights too as they help mark the access. I blew by the access Friday evening and almost missed it.

Elrom, I am no expert on the St Croix. I mainly have fished it a 15-20 times this year. But I think the high levels in April/May and then the dropoff and drought of the summer have effected the current which is so critical for river walleyes and the baitfish.

Early in the year, a fishing partner and I did really well with multiple fish out of spots with him at the helm of the boat. Everyone was catching the 14.75 inch walleyes with regularity right after the season opened. Then with the water level drop, the fishing became much more challenging. I almost forgot what a walleye or sauger looked like.

I have been told by people that have fished the Croix for 10+ years this is the lowest they have seen the Kinni channel.

I don't think they are gone, I just think they have found new hiding places caused by the lower water levels. Currents have changed as water levels dropped, therefore their food sources have moved as they have. Just my theory. Like I said, I am no Croix expert.

Hope to get out on the Croix twice more this week before thinking of putting my boat away.
Seems like the eyes and saugers are starting to finally find my bait.