• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
eyeballs

Sturgeon Bait?

eyeballs

Okay so I hooked into my first big sturgeon this past weekend. For sure over 50in. i would have to say it was bigger, but it only came out of the water once, and man did it look huge at the time. I was walleye fishing and was using fatheads. I was wondering if anyone has a bait that seems to work better that others. I do know one thing, next weekend were fishing with muskie and cat gear for the wallies! I'm not loosing another one of those beasts! What a blast!

Dragon Fish ll

Last Saturday up at Taylor Falls some guy and my buddy were trying Night crawlers. two to three at a time. Ive also read same thing on here last year. In other places like Northern Calif. they use Shrimp. Have you been to Calhoun in a while?Evan though I live right down the street I have given it the year off.

eyeballs

I was just browsing through the regs. and noticed that the Sturgeon season closed yesterday on the Criox (not like I wanted to keep one anyway). Well I geuss I'll have to add a little fireline to the walleye rigs.

eyeballs

Hey, Dragon.
Long time no see.
Yeah I have been on Calhoun a little lately, but I have been spending most of my time on the Criox. Due to the superb fishing. Lots of bass and muskie going in the daytime and the walleyes are starting at Calhoun, but they aren't going too well yet. The walleyes on the Criox last weekend were on fire Sun. and okay on Sun. Lots of wh.bass and that honker sturgeon.
Good luck!
NIC......

BassPatrol

Eyeballs,

If you wouldn't mind me asking... What were you using to catch the White Bass and at what depth?

Thanks,
BassPatrol

------------------
It's All About Finesse Baby!

traveler

Eyeballs; I had a similar first time sturge experience last spring on the Rainy river. We were walleye fishing but knew of the sturgeon potential, my buddy caught 2 about 38-38 inches before I hooked a big one. 90 minutes on 6 lb. test, landed a 53 incher, big fun. We went back up after walleye closed and landed 12 sturgeon in 2 days, 2 47 inchers were the biggest. Yes, we used heavy tackle the second trip! We baited with crawlers, 2 or 3 on the hook. I'll be heading back this coming spring, just love big fish!!!

eyeballs

Bass Partol,
I was in 17-25 feet using fatheads and dragging lindy rigs. The majority where nice fish 1lb-2lb. I'll be out and about Sunday in a little red Starcraft. If it goes as well as it did last weekend I'll be back on Monday. Oh yeh, I was fishing South of Afton.

eyeballs

Went out this afternoon (man what a zoo), and had a pretty slow day. Two decent wallies and a dozen or so wh. bass. We did however manage to get three sturgeon. The biggest was only 40in. Be back in the morning to try agian. All fish came out of less than 20ft of water.

BassPatrol

eyeballs,

Thanks for the info. I will give the St. Croix a try this weekend.

-BassPatrol

eyeballs

This past weekend was really slow for me. How about everyone else? Dis see a 30+lb flathead caight on Monday. We also mamaged a 48in. sturgeon on Monday as well. This weekend however seems to be working in the fishermans favor. I will have to try it agian.
Now that I thinnk about it, I did see one guy trying to get reflex strikes out of the walleyes and was doing fairly well. I should give that a try sometime, but lack confidence in the technique.