• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Slow Weekend.

Sinker

How did you dudes do this weekend fishing?With the warm and cloudy weather forecast,I was all fired up but didn't do very well.I mentioned the sturgeon yesterday and today I kept 3 fish.One sauger,one white crappie(11") and one black crappie(13 1/2").Also two of them nasty mud puppies.It seems when I bang the bottom with a jigging spoon,they slither on in.Caught one small walleye at the power plant on friday but didn't catch any since.They are getting harder to find.Tryed some new spots I haven't been to before.Basically struck out.It seems I did better when it was clear and cold a few weeks ago.Oh well.Please post your reports.Thanks.

sinker, i fished the open water on friday also, me and my buddy were outside with no shack, we got several sturgeon. i was also out there on saturday and some jerk set up in between me and a guy i was with, we were only 20 feet apart. i went balistic and chewed the guys a**, some guys just don't understand common curtesy. were did you catch the crappies? good idea to stay away from the crowds there was a heck of a crowd out there saturday, the article in the paper must have attracted all those knuckleheads.

TRZ, I know it's everyones river,but it seems more and more like a circus atmosphere on the weekends lately.I'm not against snowmobiles,in fact my dad has two that my daughters and I ride a few times a winter,but I can only tolerate so many buzzing by all day while I'm fishing.That's why I take off on my own.The crappies and sauger came out in the middle between the group of shacks and the ice road.It was pretty slow though.Did you get any walleyes at the power plant?Also,what was the article about and what was it printed in?I remember a few years back they did an article on the open water and boy was it crowded the next weekend!Keep in touch.

last week the paper had the guy from brothers bait saying that it was the best walleye year ever, and that crappies were biting. the weekends really are a circus, thank god most of them never come back, you can really tell who the rookies are. were you the guy with the maroon truck and the frabill shack at the open water on friday?

last week the paper had the guy from brothers bait saying that it was the best walleye year ever, and that crappies were biting. the weekends really are a circus, thank god most of them never come back, you can really tell who the rookies are. were you the guy with the maroon truck and the frabill shack at the open water on friday? you must have been near my permenent shack when you got the crappies then.

I drive an old blue POS car with a white top, 85'celebrity. but i'm usually with my pal in a red f-150. he is tall and skinny 6'4. I should be at the open water this weekend.

Yep, that would be me.What do you drive?I've seen various vehicles at your permanent shack and don't really know if someone is just using it or it's you.I don't know what they would think if some psycho came over saying something about some internet forum.Stop on by if you see the truck.Later.

Now I know.The reason I ask is when driving by I've seen black trucks,white trucks,etc.Once I was out from your shack and two guys with fish traps pulled them out and set up right outside of it.I didn't know if they knew you or they just were bold and thought your shack was on a hot spot.Have you caught any walleyes at the open water area this year or see anybody that has?I caught about a 19" walleye a few years ago there but I didn't even go there once last year.Could get better there as the year goes on.Good Luck Fishing!!!

some jerk always thinks i'm on the hot spot and fishes by me and then i never see them again, one day i could have spit on a clam it waS SO CLOSE TO MY SHACK! lucky for him the guy left right away.i just like to be away from the crowds. only the red tuck and my car are people in my shack. we have gotten some nice eyes this year 4 over 20'in various spots. maybe we'll see ya at the open water. do you have a e-mail address? if you do i can be more specific.

I couldn't believe how close the two guys I saw near the shack were.I don't think I could keep my cool if I was out fishing and that happened.I'm pretty low key,but that would be a little much.I'll keep an eye out this weekend down there for you.I'm not positive if or when I'll be out there but there's a good chance.Take it easy.

Bodyman,good to hear from you.Been a while.No,I haven't been down there yet.I wanted to get some snow for an easier pull on them hills.We got some this week so I was kicking around giving it a try.Back when we were talking about it I did call the park and got some info on sticker cost,maps,etc.A couple weeks ago I was fishing down that way near the catfish bar,north of the park.Map showed some good structure,etc.,but I was skunked except for a mud puppie.Maybe I just hit it at a bad time.If I get down there,I'll let you know how I do.Keep in touch.Oh,how's fishing been for you?

Sinker, I hope you can make it down there atleast acouple times before the walleye season closes. It was this time last year I caught some real nice ones, then the season closed on me.
Iv'e been doing good most of the winter so far. Panfish have slowed some but that won't last long and the walleye action is just starting to heat up. Walleye is open year round on the mississippi. Good luck.

Fishing is Life.

Bodyman, I'm sure going to make an effort to get there.I was wondering-Does the park close at a certain time at night?What I'm getting at is if a person stayed until after dark,is there a gate that they close at a certain time that you might have trouble getting out?Thanks.Later.

Is the only place to get on near Afton/Catfish Bar through the park? Any access near or through Windmill Marina or other?

Sinker, There's no gate at the park and I'm not sure what time it closes. I only fished an hour or so after dark so I had no problem with that.

Bodyman,thanks.I have a fishing contest up north that I take my daughters to every year this weekend but I hope to try it the following weekend.Thanks again for all the info.Good Luck Fishing!!!