• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon

Anybody have any tips on what to use for bait and where to fish sturgeon? Going out Saturday and thought I would give it a try. Thanks for your help.

I thought the new Regs closed the season for Sturgeon? Even on the border waters...

I looked in the Reg. book and it states Sturgeon season on the St. Croix is open 9-7 through 10-15. I hope that is correct because I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. I'll post when I return. As far as baits, use a big hook with 3 full crawlers. I use a 2 1/4 oz. bell sinker and stick it on the bottom of a deep hole. The object is to find the right one. Good luck!

------------------
Tonka Boy

Look for "lanes" in the river that have trenches or troughs in them. The fish use these as highways when migrating upriver. If you get your bait in these areas, a sturgeon is likely to come past it. Good luck. I'm going down to my old shorefishing spot soon here and give it a try.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

Well, I made it down to the St. Croix yesterday as stated before. I learned something about sturgeon fishing...I don't have the patience! We tried for about 2 hours and then went after the 'eyes. We ended up finding some fish on the breaks, with the biggest being 23". Also hooked some nice white bass and an ugly lamprae (spelling??). All and all it was a good day. I'll be back again soon.

...Oh, and there was one bad part...my boat seat somehow blew out of the boat on the way to the river. mad.gif I guess that goes to show, never travel on the hiway without a good cover.

I am just curious as to what type of equipment (rods, reels, line weight and bait, etc.) you would use to catch sturgeon. Our boat is a canoe so I don't think we'll try sturgeon fishing until we get a real boat. Thanks.

I know there are people who are nuts enough to fish Sturgeon in a Canoe-- I wouldn't do it.. I'd be afraid it could pull it down like a big bobber. Then again there are those who go out on 4 foot crests on Mille Lacs in 14' shallow bottomed boats-- I think they are nuts too wink.gif. A few years ago there was an article about a 96lber someone caught-- in a canoe! They were purposely fishing for it too.. The sturgeron draged it several miles upstream before it got tired out enough they could beach the canoe and land the fish.

Dadandsonfish...

Although I am not a expert, I have talked to many people who fish sturgeon. In fact my dad grew up in Washington st., fishing sturgeon out of the famous Snake river. I was told to use a heavy action rod (I used a muskie rod), 50lb+ test line, enough weight to hold on the bottom, and 3 crawlers on a hook. Toss it down and let it sit. As far as locations, I had some suggestions in water deeper than 50', but other forum users might know better. I'm still looking for my first...but I'll get it!

------------------
Tonka Boy

Fella's thanks for the info. I'm hoping in the spring to get a jon boat, as we really enjoy fishing the on the river. I am amazed at the varied species of fish that are on the St. Croix. We relocated here from Chicago about seven years ago and have just been in awe of how great the river is. Because we have a canoe we fish north and just south of Taylors Falls and can't believe the smallmouth fishing. We've also caught nothern, carp and a couple of small muskies. I would imagine catching a big sturgeon from a canoe would be a thrill, but I think we'll pass. We used to travel from Chicago to fish for white bass up on the Wolf River. I was really impressed with the size of the white bass here on the St. Croix and look forward to fishing for them in the future. Again, thanks for the help and this site and all the input has really been informative.

Most of the Sturgen I have caught have come from shallow waters. One spot I fish for them at runs 3 to 5 feet. I know the kettle river where the state record is from is a shallow river also. One guy told me to pull up up stream from one of the wing dams and sit there with crawlers. I have taken them on fatheads, suckers and had one chase down a sunfish I was realing in. My first thought of sturgen was to fish them with crawlers and doughballs in deep holes but time has shown me different. If I was to head out now for them I would try above the wingdams. At night for the big ones.

Thanks. That's good to know for the next time. At least then you can cast a second rod. In 50'+ of water, there isn't too much else to fish for while your waiting.

------------------
Tonka Boy