• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

THE REPORT

crappie getter

Well another opener comes and goes!How did everyone do?I wasn't able to partake in all the openers glory,but will make up for it all day monday and tuesday.I did have some friends out there and from what I heard it was a so-so opener.The water was pretty much normal and from what I know the higher the water the better the fishing.Last year may and june was great!The wind was a challange I know that it was blowing right up the gut!Lets hear the stories I'm sure their where plenty of fish caught!!

Good Luck to All!!

crappie getter
Chris's Croix Service [email protected]

I went out on friday for crappies and pounded them. I kept 8 with 7/8 over 11in. When the opener came saturday and started fishing crappies and i figured it was better than walleyes. Went for wallereys for about a half hour with no luck so i went back to the crappies. I was the kid in the camo jon boat! Did anyone see me!

Fished the St. Croix on Saturday. Did pretty well considering I've fished the river less than 5 times. We fished right in Stillwater, just north of the bridge and just south of PD Pappy's gas dock. We ended up catching 6 walleyes. One was 21" and 3 pounds. The rest were between 8 and 12 inches. We missed a lot of bites. We were using gold jigs with fatheads.

tjhunter

Went out of prescott today and the word is SLOW!!With the water dropping all last week and the cooler temps it put the fish into a funk!!When the water stabilizes and the sun warms things up the fishing should really take off!The water temps are still around 50,just another 6 degrees will mean the world.The good news is the water is very close to normal so it shouldn't be dropping much more!With the rain we got last night the water might rise just a hair!I would rather have it come up than drop like a rock!!The fish I caught today I had to work very hard for.I caught most my fish in sandy gravel areas from 5-10 feet with a jig.I'm sure the clouds kept them shallow.I will let you know how I did tommorrow.If anyone sees me stop and see how it's going.I'm in a red nitro bass boat with a 150 johnson motor.I'll be between prescott and afton.

Good luck to all!
Chris's Croix Service [email protected]

crappie getter.

Went out on sat. form wm o"brian st. park
really slow. Got 5 walleyes (only 2) 16 inchers and 1 white bass. Not many catching fish. my one fishing buddy went near hudson only got 1 19 incher. Hopefully minnesota opener will be more productive.

Too a guy out today around Prescott and did really well on saugers and walleyes.We caught the saugers and a 27" walleye in 30' and caught a couple of other walleyes in 18" all on jigs.Around 11 and 12 noon was the best bite.The sun was out and I am sure that was helping get things going the water is still pretty cold.
Good luck to all!

crappie getter Chris's Croix Service

[email protected]

Crappie Getter

I know most of the good Walleye fishing is below Stillwater, but what about north? I like to fish the Osceolla(sp?) bridge and some of the Areas south of the boomsite. Have caught some nice walleyes there, but not consistently. Any tips?

Also had a question concerning sauger. I can almost always get one, maybe two, but never seem to be able to stay on them. Do you think they are just more spread out or am I losing track of the school. I usually use shad raps or drag lindys with fatheads.

The sucka,
I really haven't fished the croix to much past stillwater.I'm sure there are some people who read this who can help you out with this part of the river.From what I have ever seen with sauger is they have tendency to hang in schools more often than walleyes in my opinion.If you catch some slow down and check the spot out and try to mark it some how either with electronics or shoreline stuff.Sauger usaully hang in the deeper water say 30' if not that deep than the deepest holes around that.They like to be on the upcurrent deep side of sand bars and such.Just pay attention to the deep holes you should find them.We where catching them in prescott pretty good in the 30-33' holes we just kept drifting over and over through the same holes and did really well.

good luck crappie getter

http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide

Went out this afternoon caught 4 sauger and 1 walleye in 16'to 20' Chartruse 1/8 ounce leadhead and fat heads. Very light bite and the wind wasn't helping much. But it was better than working.
Fishing is Life.

Thanx fellow anglers. I will adjust some of my movements. Have some real fun ideas for spots now. Cranks and jigs/fattys. Going out Sat. Let ya know....

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

• 2 weeks later...

I did manage to get into a school, but lost it again. Got 4 out in about 20 minutes, then nothing. Must have moved out of the area I was concentrating on. I did get a 26" walleye though. Made a good photo. I suppose a lot of these fish come out of the mississippi. I don't eat them. Well, I think I did a few times. It's a shame that you have to think about that. But, everything in this world gives you cancer now, you might as well get while enjoying something.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

Went out today caught many smallmouths in the 1 - 3 pound range the fish are in 3-10 water starting to spawn.(practice catch and release they are very vulnerable)The saugers and walleyes where still hitting in the Prescott area although a little slower then 10 days ago.
Nice to go out and wear shorts and t shirts.

crappie getter.

http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide

• 4 weeks later...

The fishing on the St. Croix is in full swing summer patterns.

Walleyes seem to be hit and miss on the croix. Check out the deeper structure such as sunkin islands on Lake St. Croix or deep drops next to points or shorelines with leadline cranks and live bait rigs 18-25'.The wing dams on the miss below prescott are producing very nice fish.

Saugers are biting very well,with many small fish to be had,in the deeper holes 25-35'. Chartreuse jigs with minnows work well.

Smallmouth Bass are on the deeper shoreline drops,windblown points, and are suspending in the river around bait fish. Surface lures such as floating rapalas and pop r's work very well in low light periods with jigs and shadraps working well during the midday bite.

Panfish can be found around deep water docks, sunkin wood, and marinas.Leeches and minnows suspended under slip bobbers are working well.

Catfish are becoming more active with the warmer water temps. Fish the deeper holes for flatheads and shallow water for channel cats in the evenings into the nights. Sucker minnows live or cut up for flatheads, chicken livers and stinkbaits for channel cats.

Start looking for cooler water for northerns either deep water drops or cooler water from streams or springs entering the Croix.

The best bites seem to be around low light periods such as mornings, evenings, and overcast days. Start checking out the night fishing as well.

Good Luck

Chris Arndt

------------------
Chris's Croix Guide Service
http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide/
(651) 458-1899
[email protected]
St. Croix River