• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
southerner

Pike on the Croix

southerner

I've not fished the Croix when iced over, but several times during open water for pike from Stillwater north to Rush City area. I'm looking for (safe) ice to fish pike in this same area. Any suggestions on locations and/or access?

Ferny

Hey Southerner, I have never tried it but have thought about it a lot during winter.
The public boat launch bay North of Stillsville. It's probably 5' deep and large.
It seems like a good slimer haunt. I have seem plenty of pike come from the main flodded island area with all the herons nests in the trees as well as walleye sauger.
You could always walk over and try the meat hole neat the channel if nothing was doing?

What do you think?

Ferny.

Here's what I think: we should all three meet at the Boomsite launch sometime soon and give it a shot. There's got to be some good northerns in that bay. shocked.gif What do YOU think? I'm up for it anytime. If you get the itch, just e-mail me at mhwardus@yahoo.com.

Mark

southerner

Ferny & Mark, you guys both have the same idea I did with regard to location. That launchsite just north of Stillwater is the first one that comes to mind that may offer some decent fishing, though I can't remember finding many weeds (and hence, weedlines) in that bay while trolling through there during open water season. I think though that somewhere in the transition zone from the bay to the river might be worth trying as I believe there's a significant drop from about 1.5' down to 18' or so right off the mouth.
I'm all for getting out there, however it looks like my weekend schedule's pretty packed until about three weeks out or so. I've been @ Mille Lacs this weekend (off and on bite), going for slimers this coming weekend in Alexandria area, and heading to Red in two weeks.
If either of you get out to that bay soon I'd like to hear how you did.
So'ner

Ferny

Hey Guy's, I drove by the launch Friday and there was open water along shore! There was a big flock of Canada's hanging in there. I didn't drive down and look but am thinking it's the intermittent creek just South of the launch but not sure. I'm not a slimer guy anyway It always made me wonder though. I've been spending most of my time in the shack on Chisago. I'll be up on Red in a couple weeks also. You got to get while the gettings good! The DNR makes it sound like the slabs are going to die of old age??? That's hard to believe.

Later,

Ferny.