• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where do I start?

What's up? I have always wanted to hit the ice on the Croix but I don't know where to begin. I hear that the fishing is good and can be outstanding. My hang ups have always been the safety factor and the fact that there is so much water. Any info would be appreciated. Maybe I can hook up with one of you guys and you can show me around out there sometime in early Feb.?

Many people are intimidated by the river. True, you have to be careful, but if you follow the pack for awhile, you will gain the confidence to explore on your own. A real easy spot to start is straight out from Bayport Park. You can park there and walk out 3 or 4 hundred yards. This is also where the ice first forms. As far as where to fish when you get out there? Who knows. Tomorrow is a new day. I usually start by punching a bunch of holes in different depths and then take a walk with the Vexilar. If I mark fish, I try it there for awhile. One thing about the river...you never know what you are "marking" it may not be game fish or it could be debris washing down the river. If you don't have a Vexilar, you would be best to go from hole to hole jigging from the bottom to 1' off. You might catch a Walleye, Sauger, Perch, Crappie, Pike, Sturgeon, catfish and many others. If you catch a mud puppy, you are fishing a little too close to the bottom for too long. If you have not seen a mud puppy, you are in for a real treat. They make a Borbot look beautiful. Good luck. You will have the best success if you get off your PC and get out there and do it!!!!

jnam

I just started fishing out there last year around Bayport alot of people where helpfull but just as hunt4food says follow the pack and ask questions.Keep an eye on the flasher there are sunkin trees in those waters!!!If you find some start fishin!!!

Good luck!

Thanks Guys. Big help. I am a winter crappie
fanatic(As if you couldn't tell from my other postings). Any advice on bait,lures,presentations,time of day...?
I hear the crappies can get pretty big down
there. And hey, incedental walleyes and saugers,too? I'm there. Any advice is apreciated. I fish the river quite often
in my boat in the spring and summer, usually
out of the Hudson area, but I know the Bayport stretch fairly well,too. Thanks Again!

There really isn't a hard and fast technique down at the river.That's why a flasher is so important.You can see them come up and look and if you have what they don't want,try something else.Sometimes I do well on a vertical jig with a minnow and other times a horizontal jig with a minnow.Or waxies.I do best with green or white jigs.Other times it takes a small swedish pimple or spoon with a minnow head or tail.Keep trying and you'll catch them.Just have to find them first.Good Luck Fishing!