• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

St.Croix Walleyes and Sauger.

Sinker

Hey Turk,it looks like a while before we get ice but I was wondering if you consider the popular ice fishing area from the railroad bridge north to the king plant a good bet for serious walleye and sauger fishing.I fish down there alot along with everybody else but mainly for crappie.I always have another jig pole set up for walleye with a fathead and jig a rapala ocassinally but I've only caught a handfull of walleyes and a few more saugers.Without asking directly where you fish,I was just wondering if you spend time for walleye down there.Maybe if I was in a little shallower during low light conditions.Just thought I'd ask.Thanks.

Sinker,

Yes I do spend time there for walleye and sauger. For ice fishing you really have to target walleyes on the croix to have much success. I can't remember many trips where eyes, crappies, and saugs have come from the same hole or from the same depths. The NSP area openwater area can do that I guess but that ice is so thin...

I target eyes shallow in 6-10 feet on either rock or the highest part of the sand point. Best times are naturally the day when the front is moving in or as the sun sets. 12-14 feet are other good depths, the key for deeper depths is finding a "prime" piece of bottom such as a point or inside turn on a plateu.

Walleye on the croix are a challenge, and until you have a confidence spot, fish for them in groups of people, and hunt these places together. Find these places early in the season because as you know first ice is best.

Keep catchin'
Turk

[This message has been edited by Turk (edited 12-10-2001).]

Thanks Turk,I'll try it a little shallower and look for some rocks and points.The problem is I need some ice!Good Luck fishing!