• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anyone been out looking at the ice conditions in the area? How does Chesterwoods look, how about Foster Arends.

I'll probably go looking today.

Let us know what you find! Be careful though!!! Both those bodies of water that you mentioned are not "good freezers." A few years back a couple buddies went out to Chesterwoods after quite a few days/nights well below freezing... what we found was about an inch and a half to 2 inches of good ice in areas, and other spots had soft ice that the spud went through with one pokee.

JA!

Fun story to tell. I took my son and we went out scouting. Found a guy fishing Chesterwoods, checked some of his holes and there was 1 1/2" - 2" of ice. Didn't go to far and he was staying toward the bank to about 10 ft out. Then we went over to Foster Arends. This is where the story gets good. There were two fire trucks and the paramedic unit at the lake side. My son and I wondered down to see what was up. I saw a fireman putting some gear away so I asked what had happened. I was thinking the worst. Must be the rep of the lake, too many drownings. He told me they were just practicing, thank god! He also told me to be careful, there is only 1 1/2" - 2" of ice. I thanked him and took my son home. I think I'm going to wait a few more days and hope for an 1" or 2" more.

I'll re-check the lakes in a couple days.

Later

I went out on Wednesday (26th) and drilled a few holes. I went first to Willow Creek res...and found very good ice, 4-6 inches. I did not cover the entire res but seems like the ice there is very good and safe. I then hit 2 of the pits between 2nd street and highway 14. I was very cautious on these becuase the one directly behind the mayo parking lot had a fair amount of open water! The first pit i hit only had about 2-4 inches of ice and i didn't go too far out. The next pit i went to is directly off of highway 14, accessible by parking at universal boat and rv and hiking east. Very thin ice there... 2-3 inches. I have never fished this pit but hope to this winter. Does anyone have any advice on this pit? Crappies. In addition I hope to fish French Lake this weekend either Saturday or Sunday. First ice crappies are awesome there. Does anyone want to ride with me?

frydaddy, did you go out today(sat.)? Any luck? Its to bad I didn't see your post earlier, I'm working today, but I would have went out with you sunday.

I'll be offline till weds., but I would be interested to go with you sometime if you'd like.

• 2 weeks later...

I fished Foster Arends on Saturday. Caught 2 nice trout and 2 small crappie. I was only there for a few hours but had a good time. Ice was 6" in some spots and 4" in others.