• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SE MN C&R WINTER TROUT SEASON

The winter catch and release trout season is about to begin.

The season runs Jan.1 through March 31. and barbless hooks are required.

Portions of 12 streams will be open, parts of Whitewater, Haycreek, Camp creek, and the South Branch of the Root river, Are very popular, and should produce nice trout.

Maps of exact locations should be available at the DNR web site, and some local sporting goods stores such as Gander Mountian.

Remember to keep the fish in the water as much as possible, and avoid walking through shallow riffles which may contain redds (spawning beds).

I have heard rumors that the DNR is looking to expand the number of streams open for this season in the next couple of years.

This can be a good excuse to get out of the house this winter, and depending on when and where you go, you can have the entire stream to yourself.

Good Luck!!!

With the onset of some very winterlike weather, I doubt many will be out on January 1. The hardcores will be out, but the crowds (if there is such a thing in the winter months) will be non-existent.

You brought up some excellent points about winter season and how to be successful. The going can be tough in the winter as the trout are shut down or the most part. Patience, stealth, and accurate casting are key. People stick out like a sore thumb when they stand right on the trout in the summer motnhs, imagine what you look like to a trout in the middle of winter with no bankside cover....

The TU and MTA guys are throwing around a whole bunch of streams to be added to the winter season list (not ALL streams were mentioned). Frankly, why not open them all and create less confusion about what is and is not open?

Happy holidays to all - hope you all got what you wanted (I got cash for some Cabela's goodies and a new fly rod to boot).

Yeah I don't like going out unless its at least 20 degrees, but if its to warm for a couple days the runoff from the snow can make the water even colder and the fish less active.

As mentioned above stealth and long, long, accurate casts will help your success. And wearing light or white colors can help you blend in with the snow.

I favor using artificals that are flashy, and are easy for the fish to see. Rapalas and spinners can be outstanding, and just like in the summer they will get you the hungry, active fish. It is legal to use live bait with barbless hooks, But I will not use it at this time, because if I injure a fish I can't take it home.

For fly fishing, midge and scud patterns are popular. Hey Hopper, what do you think are good flys for winter? any favorite colors, and sizes? I have better luck in the spring with bead head scuds, do you recommend them for winter?

Scuds are great year round - especially in the winter and spring months. I use scuds as the staple fly in a tandem rig with a midge dropper of some kind (brassie, larvae, or pupae). Get them deep -so I tie mine with weight already on it plus I add split shot to get it down.

Hare's Ears in smaller sizes and natural colors are good. Peeking caddis patterns have their moments, as well as small PT patterns as we near Blue Winged Olive emergance in March into April.

Scuds are a 12 month a year food source, so fishing them in the winter would be ideal.

With the sun shining so bright new years day I couldn't resist going out and getting my line wet, or iced over, as was the case was this time out.

So I headed down to Forestville anticipating the trout laying at the bottom of one of my favorite runs. It is a pretty deep run with good riffles above it and a good amount of current which usally keeps it open year round(at least every time I've been there before). But not this day, it was completely froze

Was there some problem with the mesage board?? The only reason I ask is that I read a message about the winter seaosn - someone from up north had a question. I responded, but I never saw my reply register, nor do I see the guy's message anymore. Was it removed or am I seeing things??

Sarge - thanks for the heads up. Why would someone want to hack into the message board?? Anyway, I haven't been out myself yet, but I've talked to a few guys who have been doing a bit of angling. Scuds are the hot meal ticket right now with midge trailers (larvbae, pupae, and brassies). Most of the midges are pretty small (size 20-22) and dark - shades of brown and black.

Stick to the hours of 10:00-2:00 PM as the water temperature will slightly spike in that time, thus the fish will be on then more than later.

I've always wanted to try the "late season" trouting but never have. With this weather, this may be the year I get out. I am not a fly fisherman and would probably opt for Rooster Tail spinners. Are the trout active enough to go after a very slow presentation spinner this time of year? I realize it's probably not the best choice and if I hear that it's not worth trying, I do own a fly rod... just no flies. Anyone had any success w/spinners?

Creek KId,

I have spinned fished the Winter Season several times and spinners work just fine!

Working a spot a tad longer might help.

Colors that work for you in the summer seem to work well in the winter. Remember to crimp all barbs!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

With the warm weather we've had lately, spinners would probably suffice. If it's cold (perhaps someday), then I'd avoid spinners and stick to something more predictable and less intrusive like flies.

I have no doubt that the warm weather has accelerated trout metabolism and activity to the point of them being careless in taking artificials; the question is how long will our new found "Nebraska" winter last??

• 2 weeks later...

There's an ice tournament at Lawrence Lake this weekend but am leaning towards trying winter trouting for the first time. There's talk of 50 degrees on Saturday! I would be going somewhere over by Lansboro. Anyone been out? Any suggestions? I only have uninsulated waders so I would like to stay on shore if possible.

Lanesboro means the Root and with uninsulated waders, wear some warm socks. If you are spinner fishing, the Root has more open water to cover, so I would definitley hit that. Otherwise, give Duschee, Camp Creek, or hit Forrestville State Park if you want to stay out of the water, which is a good rule of thumb wherever you are trout angling, especially in the winter season.

I haven't fished in a few weeks, but the last time I was out I did real well. I'm going north to ice fish in MacGregor instead of the usual winter weekend fly fishing outing.